May 2012 Moms

How do I know she's "ready" ?

For potty training. We got a potty and figured we'd at least introduce her to having it around. She's not really interested in sitting on it though. She basically ignores it, or goes over sits on it, smiles then gets up after about 3 seconds. I've managed to get her on it in time for 1 poop so far. She thought it was hilarious (which I found adorable).

All of the potty training things I've read say to start when she's "ready", but what does that even mean? Am I crazy for thinking of starting this early? I just had an opportunity to get a free brand new potty and that's why this all came about. I'm way to busy to dedicate any time to it right now, I'm mostly curious since I've obviously never done this before. Also diaper changes are a battle now, she HATES it and will scream, cry, and wiggle the whole time. No toys distract her anymore so that's kind of motivating me, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's "ready" right?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: How do I know she's "ready" ?

• Is she showing signs of knowing when she went? Or that she has to go? Can she communicate that she needs to or has gone? Is she interested in what your doing when you go? Is she going longer than 30 minutes dry? Does she hate being wet and bring you a diaper to change when she goes?

And yes I think 15 months is very young but I have boys my oldest was trained by three and Nathan is still training, by pushing too hard too sooner kids get turned off from it. I know a lot of moms with "potty trained kids" who it's the mom who's trained to take them every 30 minutes but the kids don't ask to go. IMO that's not trained.

BUT I do know a handful of moms of girls who were successful around 18 months but those girls were showing real signs of readiness.

Also wigglness at changes doesn't mean she's ready if anything the opposite since potty training takes patients on her end too. Try slip on diapers easier to change on the run!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • littleredfishlittleredfish member
    edited August 2013
    bellelamb said:
    Is she showing signs of knowing when she went? Sometimes
    Or that she has to go? No
    Can she communicate that she needs to or has gone? She is capable, but doesn't always
    Is she interested in what your doing when you go? Yes, very
    Is she going longer than 30 minutes dry? Yes, her diaper count at daycare has dropped drastically
    Does she hate being wet and bring you a diaper to change when she goes? Seems to not enjoy being wet, but doesn't bring me a diaper because she hates the act of being changed even more.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • It's pretty rare for kids to be ready before around 2 years. DD usually tells me when she needs to poop, but seems totally unaware of pee. Honestly, as much as I hate the cost of diapers, I'm in no rush to deal with trying to find public restrooms when we're out, or 500 false alarms every day.

I plan on getting a potty seat for our toilet in a few months to see if she wants to try it for pooping, but don't think we will actually try potty training until 2.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We do cloth diapers. Our pediatrician said it is not uncommon for cd babies to potty train early. I am not pushing for it at all. He recommended putting him on the potty before and after baths. He has started sitting on his potty when I use the bathroom, but I only undress him when I would be anyway. I figure this gets him familiar with it. DS1 was potty trained at 2.5 almost 3. I don't really see DS2 being any different, but we'll see.
  • Grab of copy of "Diaper Free Baby" and skip to the part on toddlers.  It's basically about you as the parents learning her cues to go.  The US is the only country where children are potty trained so late, most other countries they are fully potty trained by a year, if not sooner.  This book pulls a lot of their methods.  It's not training in the sense that we use the word, it's more learning about your child and picking up on what they are telling you.  I have a 15 month old and we're starting it but very slowly.  GL!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• My mom is convinced my daughter is ready, but I'm not too sure. She had a good week where she was able to tell me when she needed to go poopy, but now when I ask her she says no. So, we have a potty chair, but really aren't using it. She does seem to know what the difference between pee pee and poopy are, but that's about it. I'm not pushing it and would expect it to happen closer to 2 years.
  • I started putting DD on the potty at 7 months. As bellelamb said, its mostly us that are trained BUT she does go on the potty almost every time I out her on it. I out her on it every time she wakes and anytime I think about it or change her diaper. I have a seat to go on the toilet in the bathroom and a actual potty on the main floor for her. My main reason has been that I wanted her to be comfortable with it for when she learns to tell me. A friend of mine's kids were afraid of it when she introduced it at around 2. It's been 6 months now of using the potty and teaching her the sign and she has signed "potty" twice now. In my opinion its worth it to put her on it whenever you think of it.
  • ebl2ebl2 member
    I think when ever DD is ready for potty training I am going to get very plain looking training pottys with hardly anything on them at all. The reason being when my nephew started potty training my brother got him a Lighting McQueen Cars training potty and my nephew looked at it as if it were a toy and he didn't want to go poop in his toy. He would never go on it. I thought that was pretty smart of him, who wants to poop in what they think is their toy? Just something to think about when you're looking for what to train them with. No princess pottys for us. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

• I also skip little potties and get a seat for the big one. Who wants to clean poop out of one of those.. Not me! Plus then you train once on the little one and then again on a real one
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"