Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Hospital-affiliated midwives in Ft. Worth?

Hi everyone!  Just found I'm pregnant 3 days ago...due in October...really leaning towards a midwife for prenatal care and delivery, but I know I want to deliver in a hospital.  Does anyone know anything about the UNT midwives that work at Harris or any other midwives that can deliver at hospitals?  I love the fact that Harris has labor tubs as I am trying to do without an epidural.

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Hospital-affiliated midwives in Ft. Worth?

• Options

I just delivered at Harris and had a really great experience.  Unfortunately it wasn't the natural labor I had hoped for (had to have a c-section since baby wasn't doing well) but it was still great.  All of the staff was really nice and professional and I just really felt like they cared about both me and the baby.  I had a WONDERFUL doula (if you need a recommendation let me know-she was beyond amazing!) who has worked with moms there before and says they are very natural friendly-it's one of her favorite hospitals to deliver at.  :)  

As for midwives-I think only UNT midwives deliver in the hospital.  I started my care with them, but had such horrible experiences with their office screwing everything up that I ended up changing to an OB and am so incredibly glad I did.  I liked each of the midwives I met, but their office literally messed up something (or multiple things) from EVERY single visit I had, and I never waited less than an hour for my appointments.  It was crazy!  Anyway, good luck with whomever you decide to go with, and CONGRATS!   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the info!  I would love to know who your doula was.  I am just set on delivering in a hospital b/c I am terrified of what would happen at a birth center if there were complications.  I really want a midwife though, so I will probably go with the UNT group.  I have heard good things and I guess they are my only option! That sucks that they kept screwing things up for you though!!  Did your insurance cover midwives?  I called mine this morning and one lady said they didn't and I was SO mad, then I called back and a guy who seemed to know what he was talking about more said they do cover them.  LOL
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi there! Congrats on your pregnancy. I used to work for Texas Health and wanted to share the link below with you regarding the midwives at the Texas Health Harris hospital. My best friend delivered at the Fort Worth location and had wonderful treatment as well. I gave birth at HEB and it was really amazing. I felt so cared for. Good luck to you!

ETA: link https://www.texashealth.org/certifiednursemidwives

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm seeing the midwife group and absolutely love it. If wait times are long, it's only because they spend a good amount of time with each patient and make sure they answer all your questions and address any concerns. To be honest though, the OB I was seeing previously had just as long wait times... I've just come to expect waiting as part of the process anytime I go to a medical facility. I saw the midwives for my previous pregnancy, but that unfortunately ended in a missed miscarriage. Tania, one of the midwives, sat with my husband and I for probably an hour to help us get through the news. We found out when we went for the anatomy scan. I really can't imagine going with someone else, especially since they cater to the kind of birth I want.
  • Options

imagelmsmbt:
    Thank you so much for the info!  I would love to know who your doula was.  I am just set on delivering in a hospital b/c I am terrified of what would happen at a birth center if there were complications.  I really want a midwife though, so I will probably go with the UNT group.  I have heard good things and I guess they are my only option! That sucks that they kept screwing things up for you though!!  Did your insurance cover midwives?  I called mine this morning and one lady said they didn't and I was SO mad, then I called back and a guy who seemed to know what he was talking about more said they do cover them.  LOL

Here is my review of my doula from another post:

I used Becky Hines from North Dallas Doula Associates and absolutely LOVED her!  I cannot give a more glowing review-seriously she was amazing!!!!  

https://www.northdallasdoulas.com/meet-our-doula.php

She used to be a labor and delivery nurse so she really gets the "medical" side of things, but is still super supportive and really helpful!  I ended up having to go in for a c-section but she still MORE than earned her fee!  She was really helpful throughout the whole pregnancy, kept in touch with me throughout, helped with resources and information throughout and was especially helpful when I went overdue and was starting to worry.  I was able to call or text her at any time and never felt like I was bothering her-she is just so wonderfully nice.  

Even for my c-section, she came in, took pictures, was a part of the whole experience, and the best part (IMO) was how quickly she got baby to my breast. After my c-section they gave me some narcotic pain medication that completely knocked me out (family kept having to remind me to breathe!) but she immediately got the baby on my breast and started her nursing within the first hour even though I couldn't even lift my head up!  It was amazing and I credit our bf'ing success hugely to her!  

Then of course she came for the post partum visit and had all kinds of wonderful info for me there too-I just really cannot say enough about what a great doula she is!  5 stars completely! 

As for insurance covering midwives-mine did.  I think as long as they are certified providers most insurances would cover, but I'm not completely sure.  Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Can any of you tell me what the self pay cost are to have a baby with the UNT midwives with a delivery at harris?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"