1st Trimester
Options

No ultrasound til 19 WEEKS??

I'm so frustrated by this. I was expecting to have one scheduled for my 12th week... I'm at 10 right now. And what about the genetic testing scan thingy :) ? Isn't that first trimester? I'm worried that means my insurance doesn't cover the testing... Ugh. So many questions I have now that I'm home from the drs and have no one to ask....

Re: No ultrasound til 19 WEEKS??

• Options
    I am happy about that, but why are there so many other people w healthy pregnancies talking about ultrasounds at even 10 weeks?
  • Options
    I agree with @ghostmonkey that most the time, unless medically required, they are a waste and just abuse on our health system. Ideally, you really only need the one at 20-24 weeks. That is all I had with both children. Sometimes they'll do one at 12 wks to get an EDD, which I have heard amongst a lot of my friends, but if you are smart about your TTC you should have an idea of how far along you are.

My aunt had 6 ultrasounds...just for fun. As cool as that is, it is a huge waste of time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto to what most of the others have replied. Any genetic testing would be blood draws
  • Options
    EmR22EmR22 member
    3.) It is very very common to have only one total sonogram the entire pregnancy. It varies by doctor's office. Also, its actually a good thing. It means your pregnancy is low risk. Appreciate the blessings that are apparent. 
    This. I had a early ultrasound because I was at a higher risk for abnormalities. No fun. Then I had my 20 week scan and they found some minor issues with his kidneys. That meant I had to have a 34 week ultrasound to check to see if it was resolved. It wasn't. While it was nice to see my LO these scans serve a medical purpose. If you want more than your getting then you can look into elective ones and pay out of pocket.
  • Options
    RAWR! The ladies are feisty today!

I know you were probably had your hopes up to see an ultrasound, it's OK to be excited about that stuff! Ask your OB what the plan for ultrasounds are so you know what to expect. It may change depending on how your pregnancy progresses, but still.

Based on your family history they probably didn't feel the need to do genetic tests. Ask your doctor if you are concerned. Your insurance may not cover it but if you find it absolutely necessary, you can pay out of pocket.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @KittyKat 102012 they should be giving you a Neural Test Ultrasound at 12 weeks... At least that is what my OB office is doing. Even if services are not covered by insurance they should still be offering them to you at a self pay price if medically necessary. I know that there is still another time during pregnancy that they can do the NT test. It might just depend on your OB. Good luck!
  • Options
    It is a combination of your medical/pregnancy history and what your OB does on a normal basis.

My OB does an U/S at 8 weeks, 12 NT Scan, 20 week Anatomy Scan, and 36 week U/S to look at position and fetal weight...This is done for everyone.  If I were high risk I am sure it would be done more often. 

It is really is a good idea to do as much research as you can on what testing (whether by U/S or blood work) is available to you...even if its only optional. 
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Helen Keller

MAY '15 DEC. SIGGY CHALLENGE- FAV. CHRISTMAS MOVIE

Dating- 3/1/1999 ~ Married- 10/10/2004
    DD#1- Sweet Pea ~ Born on her Due Date 3/1/2007
    DD#2- Pumpkin ~ Due 9/29/2010 Arrived 10/1/2010

~ BFP: 6/12/2013 EDD: 2/21/2014 NT Scan: 8/5/2013 (11w3d) MMC D&C: 8/8/2013 ~

~BFP: 3/15/2014 EDD: 11/24/2014 CP 4 weeks 4 days ~

~BFP: 7/2/2014 EDD: 3/15/2015 CP 4 weeks ~

~BFP: 8/31/2014 EDD: 5/10/2015

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersimageimage
    *All are Welcome*

• Options
    My first one is scheduled for 12 weeks and I thought I was getting one late. For some reason, I'm really nervous about a blighted ovum, so I'd just like to see the heartbeat as soon as I can. I don't want frequent ones, just one with a heartbeat as early as I can. 

• Options
    shashonieshashonie member
    edited July 2013
    If you want some reassurance, the doppler will pick up the heartbeat and you will get confirmation that way as well. As what most PPs have said, one or two U/S are enough unless you are at risk or have complications. I only had three with my DD because at 7 weeks I was spotting, and at 18 weeks they spotted some possible abnormality and I went back in two weeks later and things were good. I would have been just fine and dandy with one ultrasound and no worries for weeks.
    >Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    it's becoming more common to only have one ultrasound, at 20 weeks.
    this means your doctor has no reason to believe you need one. this is a good thing.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Sanibel21 said:
    My first one is scheduled for 12 weeks and I thought I was getting one late. For some reason, I'm really nervous about a blighted ovum, so I'd just like to see the heartbeat as soon as I can. I don't want frequent ones, just one with a heartbeat as early as I can. 
    12 weeks isn't late. 12 weeks is normal.
    IF you have an appointment before 12 weeks(many women won't) and the doctor feels something is "off" during the internal exam, they will call for an ultrasound. but i repeat... more ultrasounds is not a good sign. be happy that you don't need dozens.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    RN0428RN0428 member
    My OB does ultrasounds at 7 weeks,12 weeks, and 20 weeks for every patient, even if having a healthy pregnancy.  Being a nurse myself, I greatly appreciate this.  If a miscarriage occurs, a woman's body does not always recognize it. The woman can continue to have symptoms and "feel pregnant." This situation can be very unhealthy for the woman if not seen.  Personally, I would feel uncomfortable waiting until 20 weeks...but again, I am a nurse and have learned way too much about bad things that can happen.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I would call your doc and get clarification on the NT testing-easiest solution. I'm from Canada, so it may be different up here but it's standard to be offered it. And I understand being disappointed in not getting a u/s earlier than 20 weeks. At a time where there are few concrete signs that your pregnancy is progressing well - a U/S is comforting and exciting. A Doppler probably won't pick up a HB at 10 weeks and my MW couldn't find one even at 12 weeks. I was grateful I had a u/s to confirm there was a baby in there and it was healthy and growing.
  • Options
    Wow people got very intense about this. @ primrosemama- my smiley face that so offended you was at the word "thingy" because I couldn't remember the name of the test so instead I typed scan "thingy".

And to most other comments I understand it just means I'm low risk and things are normal but the random few women saying they get u/s at ex: 7,12,20,36 weeks- it just makes me wonder if they're office includes all these then why do some other offices only do the one?
  • Options
    I have an ultrasound scheduled at approximately 10 weeks because I wasn't sure of my exact date of my last period, and my date of conception. We were just "not preventing" rather than specifically trying to get pregnant, so I never really wrote any dates down. They are doing one to check the size of the baby and give me a more accurate due date.

• Options

Wow people got very intense about this. @ primrosemama- my smiley face that so offended you was at the word "thingy" because I couldn't remember the name of the test so instead I typed scan "thingy".

And to most other comments I understand it just means I'm low risk and things are normal but the random few women saying they get u/s at ex: 7,12,20,36 weeks- it just makes me wonder if they're office includes all these then why do some other offices only do the one?

Actually, it's because you sounded uneducated about what the NT scan is for. It's not just an ultrasound so you can see baby. It's purpose is serious and if you get one its not just about "getting an ultrasound before 20 weeks" because you are impatient. It's a medical screening. It is wise to speak intelligently if you'd like people to take you seriously.

Different practices do things differently. Why does it matter? My office does a viability ultrasound anywhere from 8 weeks to 12 weeks. If you have questions about your offices' procedure then ask them directly. That is the most logical solution to your inquiry.

If you want an ultrasound before 19 weeks then ask for one. You most likely will be charged a pretty sum if your doctor feels it is not medically necessary. If you've got the cash then more power to you. Go for it.

The worry of miscarriage doesn't automatically diminish once you've had an early ultrasound. If you want reassurance you have to pay for it and even then you may not actually feel that reassured. Truthfully, you do your best with what you have.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My mother reminded me that when she was pregnant with me, her doctor's office had only just gotten an ultrasound machine, and they offered it to her not because they thought she needed it, but because they needed to train on it for when other patients DID need it.   Otherwise, she wouldn't have had any ultrasound at all, just like she didn't have an ultrasound with my older sister.   I may be older than many of you (I'm 32)....but it was a good reminder that until VERY recently, ultrasounds didn't even exist, and things were just fine.   
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    Really surprised by the different responses. I think the number of ultrasounds you receive may also depend largely on your OB, how equipped the practice is, and may even be regional.
    With my first pregnancy (completely healthy) I received a dating ultrasound at 10 weeks, another ultrasound at 12 weeks, another at 16 weeks, then the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I had another ultrasound (3D/4D) at 28 weeks scheduled but then I relocated to join my DH up north.

After that the ultrasound marathon came to an end. I did have to have a growth scan at 36 weeks because baby was measuring a little small. I actually had to go to a separate imaging center because the practice didn't have an ultrasound machine.

This pregnancy I'm back down South. My first visit at 11 weeks I received a sonogram to confirm my EDD.

• Options
    There's a lot of variability on this, with different doctors doing different things.  I don't think that 3 ultrasounds per pregnancy is "abusing the healthcare system" - ultrasounds aren't expensive or invasive and can be a valuable way to diagnose potential problems.

OP - if you're really interested in getting the NT scan, or any other ultrasound that your OB hasn't ordered, look into paying out of pocket.  Check with your OB to make sure there's no reason NOT to have the ultrasound, and then look into scheduling and paying for one for yourself.  We paid our NT scan out of pocket and it was about $400.

• Options
    I'm surprised at the 3+ us's. 8, 16, 20, and 36? Wow, to me that seems excessive. I had a 20 week anatomy scan and a dating us with my first at about 12 weeks bc I had no idea when my last period was and I didn't even find out I was pregnant until about 8weeks. My second I had one us at 20 weeks. This one I had another dating us at 11weeks, but I didn't even know I was getting that until I got there. Obviously I'll have the 20 week scan as well.

As pp stated I think it's more about the office you go to. Personally I don't get why all the extra us's, but that's just me.

I've also opted out of all my NT scans and genetic testing each pregnancy so I've never had that scan done either.

I feel like its becoming more popular to have an us done before 12 weeks so many just expect it, when really it just depends on your OB.

• Options
    Soap1 said:
    There's a lot of variability on this, with different doctors doing different things.  I don't think that 3 ultrasounds per pregnancy is "abusing the healthcare system" - ultrasounds aren't expensive or invasive and can be a valuable way to diagnose potential problems.

Agreed!  Personally I think a first trimester dating u/s should be done routinely.  This is coming from someone who had spontaneous twins who later developed an life threatening issue exclusive to their twin type (two sacs and one placenta) and had my pregnancy dates questioned due to growth restriction later in the second trimester.  Having a routine u/s at 10 weeks helped diagnose my multiple pregnancy and twin type so that I was able to receive special monitoring and an accurately dated the pregnancy - two things that are harder to determine once you are farther along.  Hardly an abuse on the healthcare system.  My gosh.  My OB had a portable u/s machine in her office.  Not expensive at all.
  • Options
    I'm insured with Kaiser... they requested that I come in for Urine, Blood, and U/S at 7-9weeks to confirm viability. They provided photos and we heard the heartbeat. I have another appt towards the end of the month - sounds like I'll continue to have u/s as the description for each appt says they will identify the heartbeat. I also elected to have the NT test, which will include a scan and blood work in a particular order during specific weeks. Standard appts, no previous history of any issues. Hope that helps. Like others suggested look into another OB.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    if you don't like the level of care you are getting, fire your OB and get a new one. If you are willing to pay out of pocket if need-be then there's no reason not to get a scan. My Ob originally told me 10 weeks for the first scan but decided to do it early because they don't believe me on the dates and want to get confirmation. Whatever... i'll get pics and feel a little better.
  • Options
    This is my third pregnancy and both of my first were high risk so this one is being watched like a hawk by my ob. I am scanned all of the time and it is a nerve wrecking thing every time. I am 7w 5d now and have already been scanned once with another already scheduled. If you ever question something that your ob is doing just ask and if need be call the office and have them call you back. As a nurse we get calls like this all of the time and appreciate involved patients who care about their plan of care.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are stressed - I would do what will make you the least anxious!

Most insurances cover one u/s unless there is a history of loss or other health problems (however, call your insurance to see, it varies for each).  Like other women have said, you can always request one just know that you will pay out of pocket but they aren't expensive, most are 200-400 depending on the type.  Check to see if your doctor accepts Care Credit cards.  This allows you to pay it off interest free over a time span ranging from 6 to 36 months!

And remember sweetie, you have to do what feels right for YOU -- don't let a bunch of internet strangers influence your needs.  We can give advice but just know you'll get a LOT of opinions.

Good luck!  I know right now is stressful but your insurance company and doctor's office are the best ones to help you :)
  • Options
    I am having an early ultrasound at 7w2d. I do not have a history of any medical problems/losses. We did use an RE for male factor infertility. But, again, none of the issues were mine. Our OB does these early transvaginal ultrasounds (as well as hcg betas) as part of a routine course of care. I'm happy to have the early info. I'm very anxious and feel the early checking makes me relax a bit.
  • Options
    I'm almost 12 weeks and I just heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time on Thursday, I don't even know when I'll get the ultrasound... It doesn't actually bother me too much. I can hear the sweet sound of a heartbeat and I know things are ok for now. I understand your frustration though, I want to SEE my baby! I'm thinking about going to an independent ultrasound place to find out the gender early, but we will see. Hang in there, I don't know about you but the weeks have been flying by for me and you'll get to see your baby soon enough :-)
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Normal for my office too except if you choose to get the genetic testing between 10 and 13 weeks. I've never heard of it not being covered by insurance. Everyone I know that chose to have it done it was covered. I will do it again with this one and that will be my first u/s.

• Options
    jburdet1 said:
    Really surprised by the different responses. I think the number of ultrasounds you receive may also depend largely on your OB, how equipped the practice is, and may even be regional. With my first pregnancy (completely healthy) I received a dating ultrasound at 10 weeks, another ultrasound at 12 weeks, another at 16 weeks, then the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I had another ultrasound (3D/4D) at 28 weeks scheduled but then I relocated to join my DH up north. After that the ultrasound marathon came to an end. I did have to have a growth scan at 36 weeks because baby was measuring a little small. I actually had to go to a separate imaging center because the practice didn't have an ultrasound machine. This pregnancy I'm back down South. My first visit at 11 weeks I received a sonogram to confirm my EDD.
    This.  I was scheduled to get a sono the same time I see the doctor @ 8 weeks.  In my area, it's pretty common to get a sono in the beginning - I'm also 32, which I think makes a difference.  
    If you feel you are not getting adequate care, for your own piece of mind, you can always inquire with another doctor or do some research to make sure everything is on the up and up.  I'm all for people educating and empowering themselves, as the healthcare system is not without its flaws.  That is the social worker in me talking :)  

Good luck to you!  It sounds like everything at this point is going well, that's great :)
  • Options
    I will be 7 weeks tomorrow and I have an ultrasound on Wednesday to set my due date and check for a heartbeat. My OB also made me come in and waste my time and money with a "pregnancy confirmation" appointment. I told them when I made the appointment that I have a $2000 deductible and would prefer not to have any excessive appointments. I don't know what the regular course of treatments is for this office, but I think several ultrasounds is common for the Orlando area where I live. I am also 33, so this might be part of it, but I don't think so.
  • Options
    Because their doctors like to abuse the healthcare system.

Wow, who made it your job to judge everyone else's doctor? Almost everyone I know who is low risk has 3-4 ultrasounds: dating at around 8 weeks, NT scan around 12, A/S around 20, and often one nearer to labor to see the position and check on the fetus. My OB has repeatedly been ranked one of the best in Connecticut so I hardly think she is abusive to the system. If OP doesn't like the care she is getting, she can get a new doctor. I like all the ultrasounds for peace of mind.
  • Options
    And I work hard for my good insurance, and I have no problem billing it. My employer pays more than enough into the system in my name to cover my ultrasounds and tests. WTF would I pay for something out of pocket that I've already earned as a benefit?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"