July 2013 Moms
Options

NJ13R: "Toddlers are tough"

If you agree with this....when did things go south for you? Sounds like those who feel this way enjoyed the baby stage? I know we are in the easy part of toddlerhood now w DS and I LOVE it. Just curious when it changed for you.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NJ13R: "Toddlers are tough"

• Options
    sdtchica13sdtchica13 member
    edited August 2013
    I absolutely loved how Corri was up until two months before she turned 3...then she turned into Satan's bastard child, lol! Basically,she started questioning everything, whining and screaming when she didn't get her way, and generally being a pain in the a$$. She is still way easier than most of her threenager counterparts, but since she had been the easiest infant, baby and toddler ever,this new behavior came as a shock to us, lol!

Basically, three is two with intent...two year olds are testing you; three year olds know damn well what they are doing, lol!
  • Options
    My oldest was an okay baby but tough toddler. He was difficult starting at about 16 months. DS2 was a good baby and toddler. He's a little more difficult now at 4, but I think he needs naps and just gets overtired now that he's given them up. DS3 was a tough baby and so far toddlerhood has been easy with him. However, he's only 23 months, so we have yet to see.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS got easy around 3-4 months. Then at 2, he started with temper tantrums when he did not get his way and yelling. Since DD came home, he has been throwing toys and hitting me. I am now doing time out with him. I know he is jealous of the time I spend with DD because of nursing. I feel bad he is jealous, but I need him to know his behavior is wrong. There are days I have my sweet boy and others that I cannot wait for bedtime. I am hoping this stage passes quickly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was just thinking that I couldn't decide who was the most difficult, my newborn, 2 year old, or 4 year old. Every stage has advantages and disadvantages. People have told me that it never gets easier, just different.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    3, I may not make it out with my sanity.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• Options

I'm finding 3 to be a challenging age. 2 was a piece of cake for us. He is such a joy but the meltdowns can be epic. He can be very challenging and exhausting one minute and sweet the next. I've heard from my friends with older kids that 3 is tough but 4 is easier. Here's hoping!

This all the way. 3 was the worst for us with our now, 5 yo. My middle son will be 3 in 2 weeks and he has transformed into a different child. Some of it is the baby being born but he is so demanding and argumentative. He will throw a fit just for the sake of arguing. Even if he gets what he wants, he changes his mind and throws a fit! Lol. He is constantly doing stuff to get negative attention like throwing his food on the floor, spitting (like raspberries with his tongue), yelling when told to be quiet, fighting about every single food on his plate, even if he liked it that morning.... Sigh. Good thing he can be incredibly sweet and kind in the next moment. I know this is par for the course and will hopefully be just a phase.

Honestly, toddlerhood is the best stage but also the worst. I adore him but he also makes me crazy in the next moment! Lol

• Options

DS got easy around 3-4 months. Then at 2, he started with temper tantrums when he did not get his way and yelling. Since DD came home, he has been throwing toys and hitting me. I am now doing time out with him. I know he is jealous of the time I spend with DD because of nursing. I feel bad he is jealous, but I need him to know his behavior is wrong. There are days I have my sweet boy and others that I cannot wait for bedtime. I am hoping this stage passes quickly.

This is pretty much the same for my DS1--he just turned two two weeks before DS2 arrived, so it is hard to say if it was turning two or bringing home baby brother that changed his behavior-a little of both I am sure. The past few days have been a little better-family has gone home and it's just the four of us figuring out our new family routine. He still has his moments though-he is definitely testing his limits and I am more than happy to let him know the limits are still there :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We don't spank so time outs work. I generally give warnings. DS is 2.5 so he knows when he does something wrong. When it comes to taking a bath or asking him to do something he doesn't want to do I start counting and by three if he hasn't made up his mind to cooperate he goes in time out. Usually a huge temper tantrum ensues but that is when I know it's working. After time out I explain to him briefly on his level why he was in trouble. Make him apologize and we hug. Often times just counting prevents the time out though. You find things that work for your child since everyone is different.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    My favorite age with DS was about ten months to age 2. He was down to one nap by then and such a happy kid! After two he became more defiant and tantrums started. He also started fighting his naps and became overtired. He's in a good stage now but just a month ago was a complete terror. It comes and goes, I have heard from numerous people that three is the worst so we'll see what the next year brings.

Also, we don't spank but we're strict with timeout in his room. I don't give warnings for hitting or throwing things. He has definitely responded to this and is doing much better lately. He really is sweet when he wants to be and always apologizes and gives hugs.

Every age has its ups and downs!
  • Options
    Great!  DD is turning 2 and has her difficult moments.  3 is going to make me nervous!
    Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ramy3695 said:
    DS was a difficult newborn and I hated that stage. Then he was AMAZING from about 8 months. Slept 12-14 hours a night, was happy all the time, just a generally awesome kid. I thought I loved the toddler stage too. Then around 2.5 he turned into a terror. He just is not fun to be around most of the time. It's hard. I'm ready for this phase to be over. I miss my sweet boy. :(
    This is us exactly! I miss my sweet little guy. Things turned bad for us just recently when he turned two....he's a terror lol!
  • Options
    DD is great to be around most of the time. If she isn't feeling well or having a tough communication day then it can be very trying. The real tantrums started around 20 months.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Age 3 for sure! She's about to be four now and like another poster said, she has turned into Satans child. Lol. Two was a cake walk compared to the 3s.
  • Options
    I'm wetting my pants if 2 is supposed to be a breeze.  :-t

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree with those who say age 3 is tough--sure we had some challenges at 2, but starting at a few momths before DD turned 3 up until now has been rough! (She's 3 and 3 months.) She was a high needs baby, but I really enjoyed from about a year through just before age 3. I've heard they get easier closer to 4, so fingers crossed!
    DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • Options
    I'm finding 3 to be a challenging age. 2 was a piece of cake for us. He is such a joy but the meltdowns can be epic. He can be very challenging and exhausting one minute and sweet the next. I've heard from my friends with older kids that 3 is tough but 4 is easier. Here's hoping!
    4 is SO much better than 3 with boys.  I counted down the months until DS turned 4.  2 was a breeze, but 3 kicked my tail.

Anniversary imageLilypie - (fQ49)

• Options
    mermomo5 said:
    I absolutely loved how Corri was up until two months before she turned 3...then she turned into Satan's bastard child, lol! Basically,she started questioning everything, whining and screaming when she didn't get her way, and generally being a pain in the a$$. She is still way easier than most of her threenager counterparts, but since she had been the easiest infant, baby and toddler ever,this new behavior came as a shock to us, lol!

Basically, three is two with intent...two year olds are testing you; three year olds know damn well what they are doing, lol!
    Satan's bastard child I died laughing! I have one like that and now I have a new name for her!
    Haha, happy to assist!
  • Options
    Ok y'all, I'll enjoy 18 months while I can. The good news is that when he's 3, she will be just about his age now...I'd like to coordinate it so I have one child in a pleasant phase at all times, haha.

• Options

This post scares me... How do you ladies go about disciplining? My mom says my sister and I where very well behaved children and she could take us anywhere but we did get spanked when we deserved it. Do parents spank anymore? We where spanked and turned out fine and I don't hold any resentment towards her for spanking us. I can think of times where I was being a little asshole and totally deserved it. When I asked at the day care that we are taking DD to what they did when a child was being naughty and they said they redirect their attention. But if your kid is being a real jerk what do you do? Time out? And does time out even work? We never had time out, like i said if we where bad we got smacked. I know I have a couple more years until I have to worry about this, but I'm just curious. 

We count them and do time outs. We ignore tantrums. DS2 and DS3 respond very well to these, but DS1 is a whole different story. He has behavioral issues (swearing, defiance, aggression, destruction, fire starting, etc.) so nothing really seems to work with him. We do the same things and set clear limits with him. We immediately discipline for bad behavior and reward for good. When he is being unsafe, we have and will restrain him. I will admit that he has been spanked on occasion, but I don't think his behavior responds to it. I don't see a real harm in a quick spanking to a clothed bottom, but it doesn't seem to work anyway.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"