Oregon Babies
Options

FTM W/ Kaiser permanente trying to choose Hospitals to deliver.

I would really like to deliver at OSHU but im not sure if its an approved Kaiser. In the event we can't what other hospitals would other Kaiser Moms suggest?

Re: FTM W/ Kaiser permanente trying to choose Hospitals to deliver.

• Options

OHSU is not a Kaiser approved facility, so no.  Your main options are St. Vincent's, Sunnyside, and the new Westside hospital due to open late this summer in Hillsboro.  I had a wonderful experience at Sunnyside as have many friends.  

There are lots of posts on this question both on this board and on Urbanmamas if you do a search.  

• Options
    I delivered my 1st at Sunnyside. The nurses were angels, seriously so supportive. I was able to go natural vaginal/no epideral even though birth was 37 hours after my water broke. I don't think that would have been my experience at St. V's or most other hospitals, especially without midwife care. This time around we're going to the new Westside hospital. hoping it will be quicker.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes - your local options will be Sunnyside, St. V's or the new hospital in Hillsboro (opens 8/6/13 for deliveries).  I delivered at Sunnyside last time and loved it.  I hope to deliver at the new location because it is only 10 min from my house, but I am due 8/11, so it will just depend on baby cooperating.  My OB this time, doesn't do surgery at Sunnyside, so I can do the new hospital or St. V's

• Options

imagebeckyandmiles:
    I delivered my 1st at Sunnyside. The nurses were angels, seriously so supportive. I was able to go natural vaginal/no epideral even though birth was 37 hours after my water broke. I don't think that would have been my experience at St. V's or most other hospitals, especially without midwife care. This time around we're going to the new Westside hospital. hoping it will be quicker.

When was this - my water broke and Kaiser Sunnyside told me it was their policy not to let you go more than 24 hours due to the risk of infection.

• Options

Your main options are St. V's and Sunnyside. Once the new Kaiser hospital in Hillsboro opens, Kaiser will no longer deliver at St. V's.

I delivered at Sunnyside even though I live closer to St V's because Sunnyside is a Baby Friendly hospital. We were very comfortable, the nurses were great, and the food was healthy and good. Nice facility. 

• Options
    I just delivered at sunnyside and it was amazing. St. V's has tiny recovery rooms. If your located in vancouver southwest is pretty nice.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had my baby in Feb and this was an important issue since I live in Salem and I hated Salem hospital to begin with. Needless to say I have Kaiser so I ended up delivering at Salem, and demanded to be discharged the next day because I felt we were being ignored and we had some people there who really acted like we were just a burden. A month later we had to go to Clackamas to the Kaiser facility and this is where originally wanted to deliver since everyone I know loves this place. I loved it even during just a visit. They were much nicer and Sunnyside is where I am going to deliver my next baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Are you in Portland? If so, then it's Sunnyside in Clackamas or St. Vs in Beaverton. Southwest Medical Center in Washington. I will be delivering at Sunnyside. I've heard only wonderful experiences. They also have the lowest c section rate in the state I believe.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sunnyside has round-the-clock midwives, unlike St. Vincent's... but Sunnyside does not have a NICU, if your baby has any major problems they will be ambulanced from Sunnyside to St. V's.  
  • Options
    st V's is nice I have delivered 2 babies there and plan on delivering my next baby there
  • Options
    ms.w-bms.w-b member
    I gave birth to my first at Sunnyside.  While things didn't go exactly as planned (I ended up with a c-section), I always felt like I had a say and was respected.  The rooms are nice and there is plenty of space for visitors or for Dad to stay.  I have a great OBGYN at Kaiser and am planning to use Sunnyside for my 2nd.
  • Options
    Woah, sorry to reply 4 months later! This happened in May 2010. There was one midwife who freaked me out, talking about the risk of infection after 24 hours, but she was not a staff member there regularly, she was covering & normally worked at a different hospital. As I understood it, yes, there was a risk of infection, but no one said it was "policy" to deliver within 24 hours of rupture. I'm assuming if it was policy, then they would have pushed for a c-section, which they did not. I'm sure they had a close eye on me checking for a fever or other signs of infection.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"