New York Babies

Park slope midwives

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with park slope midwives in brooklyn.
Would love to hear your thoughts.

Re: Park slope midwives

• I recently switched to them from an OB after a strong recommendation from a friend, and they are great so far. They are much more laid-back than an OB, so if you want lots of data interpretation or ultrasounds, they are not the way to go. Basically, if you are super nervous and desire constant tests for reassurance, look elsewhere. I have had a few losses, so I am pretty anxious, but I want a drug-free, Brooklyn birth, so they make sense for my family. Hope that helps...
    bfp #1- May 2012, ended in chemical @ 5 weeks
    bfp #2- June 2012, ectopic, 2 doses Methotrexate
    bfp #3- February 2013, ended in m/c @ 6 weeks, 2 days
    bfp #4- April 2013, hb detected at 6 weeks; 8/9/13, it's a girl! EDD- 1/7/14 
    Austen Vega born 1/4/14

• It is a help! Thank you.
    I definitely don't need bunch of unnecessary tests and ultrasounds. I'm fine with it being a bit more limited in that sense. Although, I do kind of want a Ultrasound for my first visit. Seeing all these other mommies-to-be show off their early pics makes me feel like I might be missing out.
    I'm with you in the drug free brooklyn birth. Very exciting! Wish you the very best and thanks again.
  • Loading the player...
  • I must admit that I treasure the ultrasound pics that I have gotten from my OB visits, so I totally get that... PSM sent my best friend for a 12-week NT scan at Methodist, so depending upon how far along you are, you can definitely count on that. Also, I just had my big anatomy scan, so you will be sent for standard things like those. Good luck with your pregnancy and baby!
    bfp #1- May 2012, ended in chemical @ 5 weeks
    bfp #2- June 2012, ectopic, 2 doses Methotrexate
    bfp #3- February 2013, ended in m/c @ 6 weeks, 2 days
    bfp #4- April 2013, hb detected at 6 weeks; 8/9/13, it's a girl! EDD- 1/7/14 
    Austen Vega born 1/4/14

• Your best friend and you are both pregnant! Wow! That sounds fun. Ha ha
  • I delivered with them, and love them. HOWEVER, Methodist was a chaotic sh*tshow the night I delivered. Impossible to find nurses to help with labor, lacking enough beds, and the bathroom in our room in the mother-baby unit wasn't clean, etc. I'd strongly recommend bringing a doula or someone else for labor support. It sounds like Brooklyn hospitals are overwhelmed in general, so it may not just be Methodist, but I had a much different experience than friends who delivered in Manhattan.

That said, I had an unmedicated vaginal delivery with no complications, which was really my priority when finding a provider.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks! This is very helpful.
    And congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"