VBAC

What makes for a good VBAC candidate?

EnamiEnami member
I'm early in my second pregnancy, but pursuing a VBAC was something I was determined to do the moment we knew DS was coming via c-section. But I guess I'm not sure what would make me a good candidate for VBAC. With DS, I was 41w5d, induced, and had medical complications only after my induction. I had high blood pressure and he couldn't handle Pitocin, though that was his only complication during my labor and they stopped Pit after less than 5 minutes. My water never broke on its own, and I had failure to progress after they did break it. Labor lasted 23 hours, and I dilated 9cm and we only ever reached 0 station. I was told later that his head was cocked sideways (his cone had started forming to one side, not straight back) and that I have a slightly narrow birth canal.

So no medical issues other than going past term and those associated with induction drugs. Baby position being off, and slightly narrow birth canal. Any thoughts? And I would ask my doctor, but we are switching health insurance next week, and the nearest hospital that allows VBAC is 30miles away, so I will be driving at least that far for my appointments when I do find a doctor. Thanks!
-A well-tended garden is indicative of a well-tended soul.-
image  image
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: What makes for a good VBAC candidate?

• This sounds like what happened to me - my daughter's head was "stuck on my hipbone" according to the doctor who did the c-section after a failed induction. I haven't yet had a VBAC (I'm hopeful it will happen in a few weeks) but I have been seeing midwives who have been very supportive as well as going to pre-natal yoga regularly. (and the yoga teacher is going to be my doula.) Also- I pulled my back out at 17 weeks and have been going to a prenatal chiropractor since then. Not only has she been amazing for the pain (no issues since 18 weeks) but she's constantly working on the alignment of my pelvis which according to my midwives can make all the difference in the successful positioning of the baby. And this baby has totally "dropped" which my daughter never did. So my biggest advice would be to see a chiropractor.  good luck!
  • I never thought about a chiropractor! I will have to check into that! Good luck with your delivery!
    -A well-tended garden is indicative of a well-tended soul.-
    image  image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This may just be my doctor's preference, but she told me I had to go into labor on my own,I can't be induced. There is some issue that can be caused by inducing,I don't remember specifics but it was potentially harmful to the baby and mother. And of course, the baby had to be positioned right and no issues with blood pressure, etc.
  • This may just be my doctor's preference, but she told me I had to go into labor on my own,I can't be induced. There is some issue that can be caused by inducing,I don't remember specifics but it was potentially harmful to the baby and mother. And of course, the baby had to be positioned right and no issues with blood pressure, etc.

This! I gave myself until 41 weeks to go into labor on my own. If not, a RCS was planned. I went into labor at 40w 3d.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I consulted with my OB, she said they factor in the following:
    * Pregnancies should be a min of 18 months apart
    * Reason for previous CS
    * Location of incision 
    * Current health
    * Do you plan on having more children (the more cs you have the riskier each pregnancy and delivery can be)
    There may be more depending on your health provider, those are some of the main ones.

My OB won't induce and won't let me go past 41 weeks. Induction isn't always bad, going by most studies I've found. However the last induction I had, was the cause of me needing an emergency CS. That being said, I have found positive feedback on acupuncture as an inducing method for VBAC candidates. My Ob has given me the "okay" to try this.    

I also highly recommend that you check out the site and FB page called VBAC facts. I found them very helpful and enlightening.

Good luck!!
    imageimage    
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"