Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Crockpot Meals - Toddler friendly

I saw in another post where a lot of you are making dinner in the crockpot.

Can you give me some ideas of what you are making that is toddler (i.e. picky eater)  friendly?
I don't know why but the crockpot doesn't seem all that 'easy' to me. I can't seem to come up with things to make it in that DS will eat.
About the only thing that seems to work for us is chicken and bisquits.
I'd really love some new ideas!
Thanks!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Crockpot Meals - Toddler friendly

• Options
    We do spaghetti and pulled pork a lot. Pulled pork is really easy, just cook the pork loin in liquid of some sort (I use root beer), shred, and add BBQ sauce. My kid loves pesto chicken - coat frozen breasts with pesto, cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-9 hours, add tomato slices and parmesan in the last hour, serve with pasta. Or chicken and dumplings: frozen chicken breasts or thighs, chicken broth or stock, basil, TJ's Everyday Seasoning, carrots, and potatoes, add Bisquick dumplings in the last hour.

Here are some of my favorite recipes:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    See I'd say anything you fix in the crock pot is toddler friendly...but we don't do specifically toddler meals ;) 

Honestly, I think the "what's for dinner, is what's for dinner" rule works well.  Sure kiddo may skip some meals but he won't starve himself.  And if you always fix him something to suit his pickiness, he will never have an opportunity to get over being picky!  Or maybe I'm just mean - ha!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ncbelle said:
    See I'd say anything you fix in the crock pot is toddler friendly...but we don't do specifically toddler meals ;) 

Honestly, I think the "what's for dinner, is what's for dinner" rule works well.  Sure kiddo may skip some meals but he won't starve himself.  And if you always fix him something to suit his pickiness, he will never have an opportunity to get over being picky!  Or maybe I'm just mean - ha!  
    I really need to adopt this attitude! DS1 used to be a good eater, now he eats chicken nuggets, fish sticks, grilled cheese and mac & cheese. I know it's my fault... I had DS2 in November, we moved from NY to FL in March and DH now travels 3-4 nights a week plus I work full time so it's  a struggle to pull together dinner for DS1 and I while I take care of the baby. I end up cooking up frozen nuggets or fish sticks for DS and grab whatever I can find in the fridge for myself. Then when DH is home we eat out most of the time b/c I can't stand the thought of trying to come up with dinner. It's a horrible rut I'm in....

Chardonnay, thanks for the ideas, I'm going to give them a shot!
  • Options
    kristenndkristennd member
    edited August 2013
    We do a crockpot mac & cheese that LO loves so much he asks for two forks so he can shove it in more quickly. And you don't even need to precook the macaroni. I think it's just macaroni, milk, butter, Velveeta (I know), and shredded cheese. From Fix It & Forget It.

DH and I were regular mac & cheese eaters long before LO came along, so it's not pandering.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Google slow cooker chicken caesar salad sandwiches.  We make it once in a while and DD gobbles it up.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DD loves pot roast (we eat it as roast one night with rice, then I use the shredded meat for roast beef po boys), shredded BBQ chicken, black bean soup, chicken tortilla soup, salsa chicken, spaghetti sauce, all things that are easy to do in the crock pot. I've seen recipes for lasagna or lasagna soup but I haven't tried them yet.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't make toddler specific meals, DD eats what we eat, but here's a blog of just crock pot recipes. https://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My little guy likes pot roast or crock pot lasagna or pretty much anything we put in there as long as it doesn't look sloppy lol.
  • Options
    We do lots of chicken and salsa.  I usually use frozen chicken breasts and add a can of salsa.  I know some people put in sour cream, but that creeps me out.  Anyway, I shread and serve with cheese, black beans, tomatoes, etc.  We either do them in taco shells or in bowls with rice.

These are all meals that I have in the freezer right now, but I have yet to try.  I like it because all of the prep is done in advance, so all you have to do on a busy week day morning is throw it in the crock pot.  I'm sorry, I don't know how to make clicky.  :(

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Check out crockingirls.com. DD eats just about anything but they have a ton of recipes.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our 3 Precious Angels That Left Us Too Soon
    BFP #2-EDD 07/05/13 - Tater and Tot passed at 12w3d. D&C 1/17/13
    BFP #3-EDD 12/19/13 - Peanut passed at 9w1d. D&C 05/31/13

Diagnosed with Hypothyroid 05/20/13 

BFP #4 - 09/22/13 - DD#2 born 05/27/14

All Alers Welcome!

imageimage

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I found some great recipes and plan to give a couple a try this week!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"