August 2013 Moms
Options

Thanks for the help ILs?

so...my ILs do mean well but sometimes they are so clueless I want to scream. They came over last night to see the new baby and bring us dinner. "Bringing" us dinner turned out to be them bringing a pan of lasagna and then expecting to eat with us and for us to provide sides, drinks, etc. to go with this meal. I ended up serving them the dinner that was supposed to be a helpful meal FOR us. I had to throw together a salad, serve up the meal and then DH and I spent 30 minutes cleaning up the mess after they left.They simply got up from the table and left the mess for us.  I also now have to wash the glass pan that they brought the meal in and get it back to her this weekend because she wants it back ASAP.

Also, I almost had to pry LO out of MIL's arms because she was crying to be fed and MIL denied that her cries were for hunger and kept trying to shove a pacifier in her mouth. It took every ounce of willpower I have not to rip her from MIL's arms. WTF

Re: Thanks for the help ILs?

• Options
    Oh man....I don't know how you made it through the visit!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That is...I don't even have the words. You're a better woman than me for keeping your mouth shut about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ugh, love it when people are so thoughtful!
    photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• Options
    You handled it better then I would have.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Options
  • Options
    thellxthellx member
    edited August 2013
    It blows my mind how some people are so socially clueless. So sorry you had to deal with this! That would be the last time I let them drop in to "help". Next time they/DH tell you they're coming, say no. When you're ready to host them, you'll invite them, but until then, it sounds like their visits are more of an inconvenience to you than a help.
  • Options
    I don't understand people. They really don't understand what helping means.
  • Options
    MrsLaurenAshMrsLaurenAsh member
    edited August 2013
    Ughhhhhh, outlaws! (I mean, cough, inlaws..)
    The Mrs.
  • Options
    Oh hell to the no. Not cool.
  • Options
    I only kept my mouth shut because I knew it made DH happy to see his family. He was not in the house when MIL was hoarding my daughter during feeding time lol. I told him what happened and he apologized but they are just crazy. I wish returning the favor would even register with them but because MIL treats my BILs like they are still 10 (they are 27 and 25 and still live at home rent free because they dont want to move out yet-they both can more than afford to) and cater to their every need, she would not even notice if we did the same thing..she would expect it. sigh.

• Options
    I only kept my mouth shut because I knew it made DH happy to see his family. He was not in the house when MIL was hoarding my daughter during feeding time lol. I told him what happened and he apologized but they are just crazy. I wish returning the favor would even register with them but because MIL treats my BILs like they are still 10 (they are 27 and 25 and still live at home rent free because they dont want to move out yet-they both can more than afford to) and cater to their every need, she would not even notice if we did the same thing..she would expect it. sigh.
    ahh, seems like it secretly angers her that they are still home and she is taking it out on you guys?
    photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• Options
    ahh, seems like it secretly angers her that they are still home and she is taking it out on you guys?
    quite the opposite. She would let them live there forever if they would stay. One of their GFs lives there too. She makes all of their meals (including their lunches for work), she pays for all food, they dont pay rent, they dont have to do chores, etc. I actually get embarassed for them sometimes. They both have high paying stable jobs and their mom still packs their lunch everyday and does their laundry...thank god DH didnt inherit those qualities.

• Options
    I feel your pain. My mom stayed with me for a week to "help". All she did was hold DD while I did chores. I have a bouncy seat for that, but thanks. 

I HATED it when clueless people would hold DD while she was screaming in hunger. MIL was one of the offenders, but lots of other old ladies did the same. What killed me is that they would even say out loud "oh look she's hungry" and then try to give her a paci instead of giving her to me to feed her. 

imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I feel your pain. My mom stayed with me for a week to "help". All she did was hold DD while I did chores. I have a bouncy seat for that, but thanks. 

I HATED it when clueless people would hold DD while she was screaming in hunger. MIL was one of the offenders, but lots of other old ladies did the same. What killed me is that they would even say out loud "oh look she's hungry" and then try to give her a paci instead of giving her to me to feed her. 

WTF? Seriously? How does a paci help if a baby is hungry? 

OP, sorry your in-laws suck. I wouldn't let them come over to "help" anymore, to be honest. You definitely don't need that stress. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    Wow. Inlaws truly do suck b*tt!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not even a week after my csection my MIL told me she was too busy to take time to drive out to visit.. But wanted my mom to drive us out there to see her.

Then when she found time to come out at 7:45 am... She ended up coming two hours late without telling me.

Inlaw's can really suck sometimes..
  • Options
    And this is why I said no more visitors after DD was born. I just couldn't deal.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yikes that sounds terrible
  • Options
    Such bs I would have been pissed! Sorry hun
    ITS A GIRL!!! TTC 8/11 November Clomid 150mg+trigger+IUI+TI= BFP<br>
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry - that sounds awful.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Definitely feel for you! The night we came back from the hospital my ILs told us they couldn't afford a hotel and had to stay with us even though we had told them no ahead of time, AND they expected us to make them dinner! WTF is with some people!!
    image   image
  • Options
    I feel your pain. My MIL wouldn't even bring over lasagna, she'd just expect to be fed.
  • Options
    Yup. I can relate.

• Options
    Maybe I am just a dick, if someone offered me dinner Would not have bothered getting up to put it out, fix and serve sides or drinks. After DD (because of the csection) I let people visit occasionally but I was always in pajamas and refused to offer anything. If they weren't comfortable enough to help me out or themselves I didn't have time for them and just allowed the awkwardness to send them out the door. But again I am kind of a douche, especially when feeling unwell. Sorry you had to deal with that.
  • Options
    I feel ya!

My IL bitch is that mil and DH's aunts drop by the other day with 5 minutes notice and proceed to get mad when I don't greet them at the door because I'm nursing. Smh...

• Options

quite the opposite. She would let them live there forever if they would stay. One of their GFs lives there too. She makes all of their meals (including their lunches for work), she pays for all food, they dont pay rent, they dont have to do chores, etc. I actually get embarassed for them sometimes. They both have high paying stable jobs and their mom still packs their lunch everyday and does their laundry...thank god DH didnt inherit those qualities.

My MIL was the same with DH until he went into the military at 27, and thank God for that. It's SO annoying and took him years of ME teaching him for him to learn to be self sufficient. Ugh!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"