Minnesota Babies
Options

Childcare Questions

Although my husband and I are pretty well set for childcare when our baby is born  (I hope anyway, haha) I still have some questions about daycare that are not really being answered on the websites for a lot of centers.

We live in Inver Grove Heights, I work in West St. Paul and he works in St. Paul so I'm looking in those areas for childcare alternatives if the arrangements we have already made fall through. 

Mostly I am wondering what exactly qualifies as a "reasonable price" for daycare. So many websites (and mom's) say that a place is "reasonably priced" but as a first time parent I have no idea what that actually means. 

Also, have any of you used an in-home child care provider? By in-home I mean someone who comes to your home during the day. I'm almost thinking that a set-up like that might work out better because we only need child care three days a week.

This is probably not cohesive at all but my pregnancy brain is failing me for the day, haha.

Re: Childcare Questions

• Options
    minnteacherminnteacher member
    edited August 2013
    $300/ week for an infant for fulltime care in a center is typical in the western metro. Most centers do not give much of a discount for part time tuition. The other scenario would be more of a part time nanny. When you say in home, it usually refers to the other persons home! :) Good luck. Finding child care was the most stressful thing in having children.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think $300 is too much.  at home day cares here in Elk River run $140-$180/week for full-time.  Centers for an infant run $190-230.  One quote from KinderCare in Rogers was $350/week (again this is for full time 5 days/week).  If only needed 3 days/week I'd say close to $150-200 is what it should be for a center in your area.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    My friend pays $160 a week for an in home infant.  

ETA: That's in the south of the river suburb area. 
  • Options
    In the west metro we were seeing anywhere from $300 to $400/week for a center for an infant. For in home (the other person's home) we saw anywhere from $150-$200/week. The type of nanny service you seem to be looking for came closer to the center prices than the in home prices from what I was seeing - some were even more. I also looked both east and west metro since we live in the west and I work in the east. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I continue to hope that our initial (and free!) arrangement works out but my neurotic brain like to have information on multiple options.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"