Georgia Babies
Options

Delivery at Piedmont

I had DD at Piedmont almost 3 years ago and with my pregnancy brain I totally don't remember a lot of the details of how they handle things.  I am planning on asking my doctor at my next appt, but since some of you have delivered there recently, maybe you can remind me.

They do all the weighing and measuring in the room with you after delivery, I remember that.  When/where do they do the first bath?

Do they have ok pillows or should I take my own?  I specifically remember that their towels sucked, so I will actually be taking my own this time unless something has changed.

What are their visitation policies for siblings? My daughter will be almost 3, can she come any time to visit or only during specific hours?

Anything else that I'm not thinking about?

Thanks!

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

Re: Delivery at Piedmont

• Options
    GTJessGTJess member

oh good post! i could use a refresher too...especially since my first was so early and whisked out of the room after I only got to hold her for a minute!

things I do remember:

The food is actually decent and Jimmy Johns delivers straight to the room! ;-)

The labor and delivery nurses are fanastic!

Hopefully you won't need it, but the NICU staff is also great. 

New since we last delivered (my daughter just turned 3 as well): they now do cord blood donation.

I feel like i heard they no longer have lactation consultants anymore. Is this true?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

I think they did first bath in the LDR room with me there (my husband was paying more attention - lol).

The pillows were okay - kind of flat, but we had a ton so I just piled them up. And you're right about the towels.

Siblings can visit at any time.  I think grandparents get lumped into the regular visiting hours. 

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageGTJess:

The labor and delivery nurses are fanastic!

Hopefully you won't need it, but the NICU staff is also great. 

New since we last delivered (my daughter just turned 3 as well): they now do cord blood donation.

I feel like i heard they no longer have lactation consultants anymore. Is this true?

You are correct that they cut lactation consultants from the staff. They usually have a "lactation nurse" on the floor, but it's not a true lactation consultant like they used to have. And when I delivered in November there was literally 1 nurse for the entire labor & delivery floor. She was very nice, but she basically came, showed me how to use my pump, and left immediately. (Drew was premature so couldn't yet BF.) When it was finally time to try BF, I felt like it took an act of congress to get the lactation nurse to come to the NICU to help me during one of the windows of time when I was there. Very frustrating.

I agree with everything else you said though - the nurses and staff at Piedmont were awesome. And we loved the NICU staff. I cried saying goodbye to the nurses the day Drew was discharged.

I didn't mind the pillows, and while the towels sucked, they didn't bother me enough that I'd bring them from home next time. I'd be afraid I would ruin them anyway. Not sure about the first bath, weighing, etc. since Drew was immediately taken to the NICU.

• Options

I had my baby at Piedmont six months ago. I had a great experience, but disagree with a lot of what the PPs said!

We HATED the food. The only thing I liked were the cinnamon rolls in the morning. We ordered Jimmy John's.

I LOVED the lactation consultants. In fact, it was so painful that I was ready to give up and she suggested I nurse only on one side per feeding for 12 hours (over night) and I'm still going 6 months later. They only work 9-5 during the week so if you deliver on Friday night, I guess you're kind of screwed. I've even used them since I left the hospital. You can call any time and they call you back within 24 hours to answer your question.

They weighed and measured her right there in front of me. I think the bath happened right there too, but its all kind of a fog!

The pillows were thin, but we just kept asking for them and piled them up. I agree with PP, I'm glad I didn't bring much of my own stuff because recovering from giving birth gets messy!

Good luck, I hope everything goes well!  

• Options

Thanks everyone!  I specifically remember loving the food so I really hope that hasn't changed!

Anyone remember their policy on jewelry and nail polish?  Can I be wearing my diamond studs and wedding band?  Someone recently mentioned something about having to take nail polish off, I have absolutely no memory of that but would need to know in advance because I have gel polish and can't remove it myself.  

• Options
    imageannetastic071710:

We HATED the food. The only thing I liked were the cinnamon rolls in the morning. We ordered Jimmy John's.

Wow, I think you might be the only person I've ever heard say they hated the food there.  It's usually one of those weird (non-essential to birthing) things people love about Piedmont! 

EDD 12/24/15

• Options
    imageThat.Just.Happened:

Thanks everyone!  I specifically remember loving the food so I really hope that hasn't changed!

Anyone remember their policy on jewelry and nail polish?  Can I be wearing my diamond studs and wedding band?  Someone recently mentioned something about having to take nail polish off, I have absolutely no memory of that but would need to know in advance because I have gel polish and can't remove it myself.  

Is that a c-section thing? I didn't do any of the sort for my vaginal birth. 

EDD 12/24/15

• Options
    imageThat.Just.Happened:

I wore diamond studs, a watch, my wedding rings, and another ring. No one said anything to me about needing to take my jewelry off. I also had nail polish on my toes.

• Options
    K&P414K&P414 member
    imagemingaling2:
    imageThat.Just.Happened:

Is that a c-section thing? I didn't do any of the sort for my vaginal birth. 

I think that is a c-section thing. 

• Options
    LC122LC122 member
    We delivered there almost 19 months ago, but we also took a tour last week because they have remodeled. Most of the remodeling was just cosmetic and they are putting in a nicer waiting room area.
    I think the biggest thing is knowing what to ask for. I remember the food being fine but I didn't know at first that you could call and order what you wanted. Otherwise they just brought you whatever.
    I don't remember any issues with pillows or towels.
    They did the weight, length, and bath in the room.
    I wore whatever jewelry I had on at the time. I think the nail polish thing is just about measuring your pulseOx. That little red light thing that goes on your finger. They keep acetone wipes in the hospital to take off nail polish if needed but I've also heard they can just turn it sideways and it's fine.
  • Options
    GTJessGTJess member
    does anyone remember if there are hair dryers in the room? not that i'll probably even feel like blow drying my hair but just curious!

• Options
    does anyone remember if there are hair dryers in the room? not that i'll probably even feel like blow drying my hair but just curious!

Not that I recall - I brought my own.

EDD 12/24/15

• Options
    No dryers last time I was there, I brought my own.
  • Options
    My experience at piedmont was just as good this time. They are remodeling the labor and delivery waiting area but its almost done. I did have a c-section and had to remove all of my jewelry before going into surgery. My 3 yr old came a visited pretty much any time she wanted but it was only during regular hours anyway since after that was her bed time. Trying to remember if there was anything else but I thi that's it.

• Options
    Jess, I was just thinking about you.  Congrats on your new arrival!  Turns out I have to have a c-section as well, I'm scheduled for Tuesday morning at 8am.  Who did yours?  Sternberg is doing mine.  I am a bit nervous but also glad to know when & how she will arrive. 

Did they make you take off your nail polish?  I feel like I am so unprepared for this.  How many nights did you stay in the hospital?  How has your recovery been?
  • Options
    Congrats!

EDD 12/24/15

• Options
    Jess, I was just thinking about you.  Congrats on your new arrival!  Turns out I have to have a c-section as well, I'm scheduled for Tuesday morning at 8am.  Who did yours?  Sternberg is doing mine.  I am a bit nervous but also glad to know when & how she will arrive. 

Did they make you take off your nail polish?  I feel like I am so unprepared for this.  How many nights did you stay in the hospital?  How has your recovery been?

I was really nervous for a c section as well but it honestly hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't have nail polish on so I can't answer that question. Sternberg did mine as well and she was great. She was funny though because I decided to get my tubes tied while they were already in there and she kept asking are you sure even after she had one done already ha! Recovery has gone well...the first couple of days were rough but just stay on top of your meds and you will be ok. I was able to nurse within an hour of birth and its gone really well so far. The lactation nurses came by each day without me even requesting them. I still have some pain now but it isn't horrible. We wound up staying 4 nights since our c section wasn't scheduled until 4 pm and he wasn't born until 540 (jealous of your 8am start! Waiting all day sucked!). Plus he had a little jaundice and wouldn't let him go home anyway. Good luck! It is very surreal walking into the hospital with everything all scheduled!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"