August 2012 Moms
Options

Big Family Beach Photos

My whole family is going to the OBX next week (14 of us total).  We've never done anything like this before, so it may not be much of a vacation after all.  My mom paid for the house and it was a surprise for my dad's 70th birthday. 

Long story short ... Or at lkeast I'll try to keep it short ...

I suggested to my 4 siblings and parents about doing professional photos on the beach.  We very rarly have everyone together!  I found a deal ... $500 plus tip ... they'll do the large group, individual families, couples, kids, candids, and really whatever other shots we want ... includes all the images on a CD with copyright release.  Which I thought was a decent price.  So, we're looking at about $100 per family.  My mom was very very excited about it!  When I put an email out to my siblings I sold it as something special for mom and dad (since mom is paying for the house) ... crickets ... no one really replied with anything definate:

1. 1 replied yes
  2. 1 replied that they liked the idea but thought it was over priced and we could just set up a tripod
  3. 1 just mentioned to my mom (but not to me) that they thought it was over priced but they'd just do whatever everyone else decided
  4. 1 never replied ... but this brother is the black sheep of the family so I'm just surprised he's coming on the vacation

When my mom asked about the status, I told her.  She seemed disapointed.  So she decided that she'd just pay for it saying that she knows money is tight for people.  Well I'm pretty pissed at my siblings.  My mom is paying for the house, so I don't think its too much for us to pay for some nice pictures for my parents. 

Well, last night I asked my mom what we all should wear so I could tell the family ... she just said everyone should wear whatever they want ... well ... I'm kind of particular about things like that ... so I suggested that I thought we should coordinate and look nice, espchally since we are paying a fair amount of money on the pictures. Honestly, I'd hate to see how my family would look without any guidance ... even with some guidance (let's say I tell everyone wear a white shirt), I'm sure my brother would show up in a stained undershirt, my dad would show up in a stripe or plaid shirt that has "some" white in it, my nephew in a white graphic tee, and even my mom would wear something that she thought was white, but is really orange ... then me, DH, and DD would be all dressed up and cute ... and the whole group picture will just be a hot mess!

Since I was origioanlly planning on spending $100 on my share of the photos ... I said that I was just going to go to old navy and get matching polos for everyone ... it's not my ideal since it might be too matchy matchy, but at least we won't look like Ricky Bobby meats Honey-Boo-Boo!  She said ok and told me to buy them and she'd pay me back.  Whatever, I'm not letting her pay for the polos too!  It just makes me more annoyed with my siblings.  And makes me feel like an urber controlling b*tch when I tell my family "ok folks, thanks for nothing ... even thought you're not helping to pay, please show up, wear this shirt, smile, and coooperate!"

Anyway ... just wanted to vent ... and also ask for opinons on the color of polos ... should I put everyone in white?  Or put guys and girls in differant colors ... say two differant shades of blue (a dark and a light blue), or a white and a blue?  I'd probably tell everyone jean/jean shorts since some people might not have kaki colored pants.

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6983&vid=1&pid=303722022#close

My Journey to Motherhood
Me 36, DH 42
7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
TTC Since January 2009
Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
TTC Since June 2013
Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
EDD 10/15/16
At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Big Family Beach Photos

• Options
    Sorry your family is being so difficult. That is frustrating when you are trying to do something nice for your parents.

Can you do polos for the men/boys and regular plain colored cotton tees for the women/girls? I personally think that would look better than having the women in polos too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I agree with @jillybean7582 I dislike polos on women. That way it's also not too matchy but more coordinated.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry your family is being so difficult. That is frustrating when you are trying to do something nice for your parents. Can you do polos for the men/boys and regular plain colored cotton tees for the women/girls? I personally think that would look better than having the women in polos too.

Haven't thought of that!  That might look nice and help avoid being too matchy-matchy!

Would you do everyone in the same color?  Or put the men/boys in one color and the women/girls in another?

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

So I'm talking to a friend at work about this and she thinks I'm crazy!  Which I very well might be.  She thinks I should just tell everyone to waer a white shirt and jeans.  But to be specific, and tell them white with no designs, striped, dots, etc.

Shoudl I risk it?

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    EDD 10/15/16

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    MegispregMegispreg member
    edited August 2013
    I don't really like the matchy look. If it were me, I'd let them wear what they want. Maybe give them two color choices, like blue and pink, and tell them no t shirts. If it's still a big uncoordinated mess, well at least your individual family pic will look nice.

If you decide to buy the shirts, I would definitely get different shades.

Edit: typo
  • Options
    I agree with Sharona that you know your family best.  Yes having to buy everyone's outfit for them is a pain in the ass but if you think that is the best option to avoid any surprises then I'd just go with it.  Plus I sort of think all white shirts at the beach on sand might be too washed out you need some color.  I think either a few colors or at the very least 2 to avoid matchy matchy.  Here are a few ideas I found on Pinterst really fast (this is what happens when your kid decides to take a 2.5hr and counting nap!)

1. Each sub-family in a different coordinating color

2. This is a really cute beachy one with the colors taken from the beach balls

3. I LOVE this color combo if you could find polos and tees in these colors!

• Options
    I agree with Sharona that you know your family best.  Yes having to buy everyone's outfit for them is a pain in the ass but if you think that is the best option to avoid any surprises then I'd just go with it.  Plus I sort of think all white shirts at the beach on sand might be too washed out you need some color.  I think either a few colors or at the very least 2 to avoid matchy matchy.  Here are a few ideas I found on Pinterst really fast (this is what happens when your kid decides to take a 2.5hr and counting nap!)

1. Each sub-family in a different coordinating color

2. This is a really cute beachy one with the colors taken from the beach balls

3. I LOVE this color combo if you could find polos and tees in these colors!

Wow!  A 2.5+ hour nap!  I'm so jealous!  DD never naps like that for me!

I was playing around on pinterest too while I was pumping!  I do like all the families in differant colors, and I thought about doing that.  However my brother, his ex, and thier 2 kids are coming ... which is a little ackward ... but whatever they broke up 16 years ago and have to deal with each other at other family events, etc.  Plus his ex is closer to the family than my brother is.  They are both single.  So, anyway I'm not sure how I'd pull off the differant colors for differant families thing.  I could put my "SIL" and the kids in one color, and my brother in another by himself?  Then he'd also be standing off by himself.  I just don't see that set up working well with our situation.

I saw the beach ball theame too ... I really like that one ... but I just don't think I can pull it off with my family.

Decisons ... decisions ...

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    EDD 10/15/16

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ugh, that is frustrating! What if you told everyone what to wear and then still bought the polo's and shirts? If everyone actually listens to you and shows up wearing what they need to then no big deal and you can return the shirts and get your money back, if they don't then you have the shirts and the pictures will still look nice! Just a thought...

06/10 mmc@ 10 weeks: 03/11 mc @ 8 weeks due to blighted ovum.
  • Options
    We're doing the exact same thing when my extended family goes to the beach for a week next month. DH and I just decided to pay for it ($400) and it will be part of everyone's Christmas presents. As for colors, I am not a fan of the beach shoots where everyone wears the same white shirt and denim or khaki pants. We are having everyone wear blue, white, denim, and or khaki, and patterns are fine, as are dresses, etc. just no big logos.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited August 2013
    Here is the pic we're using as a guide for clothes - the first one https://lindsayhorn.com/blog/tag/extended-family-portraits/
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options

Maybe a creepy question, but will you be staying in Duck, NC?

Also, I like the idea of all the same color, but not exactly the same shirts for them. At least you know whatever happens, your individual family pictures will look nice!

• Options
    I say tell everyone to wear a color, like blue, and see what people show up in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    L12541 said:
    Here is the pic we're using as a guide for clothes - the first one https://lindsayhorn.com/blog/tag/extended-family-portraits/

I do like that blue color scheme ... but I'm just worried if I tell everyone to wear whatever they want as long as its blue, white, denim, and or khaki ... I'm afraid if its not coordinated well ... we'll all clash ... I just wish I had more time to plan and coordinate ... and that my family was more cooperative (or more anal/particular like I am!  LOL!).

So, did you just send your family this photo and say wear something like this ... and you're just hoping for the best? 

Risky ...

But I do think it would look nicer than all white and denim.

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    EDD 10/15/16

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I agree with PP - I like the guys in polos in the ladies in tee shirts.   I don't even own a polo.   Also, it would be nice to just ask them to bring a solid color shirt and maybe give them some color options.  I think different shades of a color would look better than everyone in the same exact color.   If you buy the stuff at ON and they bring the right stuff then you can return it.   Really the only place to get anything at OBX is at the outlets and I am sure you don't want to spend your vacation there shopping for them.    Also, if you are not near the outlets they can are a hike from Duck, Hatteras.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Maybe a creepy question, but will you be staying in Duck, NC?

Also, I like the idea of all the same color, but not exactly the same shirts for them. At least you know whatever happens, your individual family pictures will look nice!

Yep!  We'll be in Duck!  Fell free to PM me (although I don't PM often so it might take me time to figure it out, espchally with the new format).

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    EDD 10/15/16

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Toni79 said:
    L12541 said:

I do like that blue color scheme ... but I'm just worried if I tell everyone to wear whatever they want as long as its blue, white, denim, and or khaki ... I'm afraid if its not coordinated well ... we'll all clash ... I just wish I had more time to plan and coordinate ... and that my family was more cooperative (or more anal/particular like I am!  LOL!).

So, did you just send your family this photo and say wear something like this ... and you're just hoping for the best? 

Risky ...

Yes, that's exactly what I did.  I provided this picture and said that after doing research, I thought this looked nice. So can everyone please wear blues, whites, denim/khaki, and patterns are fine but no big logos (really I think this would only be an issue for kids' clothes in our family).

Honestly, I also fee like I want a picture of what my family actually looks like (when they know they are having their picture taken), rather than something fake and perfectly coordinated, you know?  I have a feeling that each person will bring a couple possible outfits and ask for opinions.  My sister and I have both decided to wear dresses, I think the adult guys will mostly end up wearing khaki shorts and polo shirts (just not all the same, plain color), and I'm putting my daughter in a white dress that has navy and teal on it.  If you look at the picture, one of the kids has yellow in his outfit, and it still doesn't clash.  I feel like as long as most people are coordinating,  it will still look good.

I also don't think polo shirts are that flattering on everyone - I certainly think I look better in a dress or a more fitted shirt than a polo shirt :)

• Options
    L12541 said:
    Toni79 said:
    L12541 said:

Risky ...

Yes, that's exactly what I did.  I provided this picture and said that after doing research, I thought this looked nice. So can everyone please wear blues, whites, denim/khaki, and patterns are fine but no big logos (really I think this would only be an issue for kids' clothes in our family).

Honestly, I also fee like I want a picture of what my family actually looks like (when they know they are having their picture taken), rather than something fake and perfectly coordinated, you know?  I have a feeling that each person will bring a couple possible outfits and ask for opinions.  My sister and I have both decided to wear dresses, I think the adult guys will mostly end up wearing khaki shorts and polo shirts (just not all the same, plain color), and I'm putting my daughter in a white dress that has navy and teal on it.  If you look at the picture, one of the kids has yellow in his outfit, and it still doesn't clash.  I feel like as long as most people are coordinating,  it will still look good.

I also don't think polo shirts are that flattering on everyone - I certainly think I look better in a dress or a more fitted shirt than a polo shirt :)

Thanks! 

I know I'm very particular ... and I know my siblings think I'm demanding no matter what I ask/tell them to wear. 

I spoke to my mom and we decided to do the blues, whites, denim/khaki color scheme.  And let people wear what they want as long as its part of that color scheme.  I think this will make the rest of my family happy (i.e. they won't get too annoyed with me being controlling) and it will prevent things from being too matchy-matchy. 

I do need to specify no logos though, which is pretty said!  LOL! 

I was also thinking that subtle patters would be ok ... no crazy plaids or bold stiped ... but a subtle pattern could "blend well". 

It is a little risky!  So I'm hoping that some people bring more than one option, so that we can switch things out if need be! 

Wish me luck! 

[-O<

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    EDD 10/15/16

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Good luck :)  Hopefully also if your photographer is good, he or she can arrange everyone so that anyone who does clash isn't next to each other. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"