Postpartum Depression
Options

New here..advice.. zoloft

Hi ladies... 
I never thought when I joined the bump last year when I was on my journey trying to have a baby that I would be here. I have never really suffered from depression or anxiety except here and there which was normal and didn't take over my life, 

I am a FTM and had a very rough 2 weeks. My LO was born on 7/26, I was at work ( on a day I was initially scheduled off), and went into labor.. I was an hour away from my hospital and when I called my OB they said go to closest hospital.. so on my way I went and was indeed in labor at 36 weeks. 
So I didn't deliver at my hospital or with my Dr. My baby was born and had respiratory issues- he wasnt breathing on his own..they didnt let me hold him and he was taken away to be worked on. I was freaking out..they ended up transferring him to another hospital since they had a great NICU. 
During the epidural procedure I had a lumbar puncture.. the following day I developed the worst spinal headache.. a headache like no other.. on a scale of 1-10 it was a 12. I could move my head in any direction... I was petrified. They performed a blood patch to seal the leak.. 
I was discharged and 24 hours later my headache came back. Not as severe but it was miserable. So 48 hrs later I went for a 2nd blood patch.. I was so debilitated from it that I couldn't walk around.. and even go to the NICU to see my baby. 

It was 6 days after delivering that I finally got to hold my own baby. I was overwhelmed with emotions.. of everything we had been through. Thank god for DH keeping it together through it. 

So naturally I say I went through a traumatic experience.. and my anxiety over the past 2 weeks have increased. I have never ever had any health issues in my life or ever worried about my health. But now I had found myself saying well what will happen next? Is my headache going to come back?
Why are my ears in pain now? Is there nerve damage? Should I see a neuro? Why does my thigh hurt? Do I have a clot?

I do not have anxiety or depression over the baby.. he is amazing now and home with us, doing GREAT! He is a breath of fresh air. And I find on days were my body feels more like its old self I dont have the anxiety..but when I saw my Dr this past Wed I was on 3 hrs of sleep and when I saw him I cried and said all of my fears.. he thinks I have moderate PPD and suggested I take Zoloft 50mg. I've never been on meds before in my life. 
So yesterday I cut one in half to start at 25mg. 

Does what I feel sound like PPD, or is that normal to feel that way after everything I have been through? I'm afraid of the weaning process. I know it's a low dosage.. and sometimes I still feel like I don't need this. Today will be day 2 taking the pill. 

Has anyone stayed on 25mg just to even out? Is weaning off 25mg hard? I'm scared to feel more side effects..

Thank you so much for listening, and reading.. it feels good to let it out and have advice from other new mommies. 

If you have any natural remedies- vitamins etc that can help to take while on zoloft so as I come off in 6 months like the Dr said it will be easy transition?

xo
Eat Sleep DanceimageBabyFruit Ticker BFP 12/10/2012 - Strong numbers and baby HB 169!

Re: New here..advice.. zoloft

• Options
    Good luck.... It sounds like you have been through a lot. I had a spinal headache with # 2 and it was torture! Sounds like u have a beautiful little baby and just need to get your emotions back on track. Don't be afraid to take the Zoloft to get you over this obstacle so u can feel better. A lot of your anxiety regarding taking it probably stems from your PPD.... When u start to feel better those fears may go away. Hugs :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Also I think b vitamins help... I would look it up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for the support..I am feeling quite jittery today from the 25mg dose. 
    I hope this subsides soon, it's like I'm tired but wired at the same time!
    Eat Sleep DanceimageBabyFruit Ticker BFP 12/10/2012 - Strong numbers and baby HB 169!
  • Options
    Psych meds like zoloft will have some initial side effects (you mentioned jittery) when you start taking them, but they should wear off in a few days or weeks. 

I've weaned off medications several times and honestly have not had a single problem. If it's done properly, you'll be just fine. 

I'd say give it some time. Sometimes you don't know how bad you feel until you start to feel better again! Also, look into therapy or counseling. I believe meds + therapy is the best way to deal with PPD or PPA.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"