Two Under 2
Options

Breastfeeding with Two Under Two

With LO one I only breastfed for approx 3 months. He has very bad reflux and had to be on meds and the GERD formula. He threw up most of the breast milk every time he fed. Although I know if is not likely for LO 2 to have the same issues, I am still very nervous about trying it again. Also, how do you balance taking a half hour plus to breastfeed new baby while trying to watch and take care of LO 1? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Re: Breastfeeding with Two Under Two

• Options
    Well.. I'm probably not the one you wanted to respond, but I will tell you how it went for me... I didn't Bf dS1 because he was a NICU baby and it just didn't work out.. But I was dead set on. Nursing DS2.. It was hard. And, exhausting. DS2 is a lazy nursed (and ped thinks a reflux baby - DS1 also had terrible reflux, just weaned off meds at 1 year).. It took him 45 minutes - 1 hour to nurse and he was only getting 1.5ish ounces total.. We were nursing every 2 hours from the time I started.. Essentially, I was nursing constantly.. And, he still wasn't gaining (we just stopped last week and started EPing and supplementing, but that's off topic). DS1 is pretty good at independent play, so nursing constantly was a challenge, but doable.. I also had help, though.. My DH was home for 2 weeks and my Mom came a few days on week 3. Honestly, the toughest part for me was not getting the time to spend with DS1.. I was so upset because I felt like I was neglecting him since nursing was taking up so much time... When I pump and feed now, I just make sure I have something to keep DS occupied.. Set up toy stations for him to play with.. Or I keep books nearby and we read.. I also switch rooms a few times throughout the day.. The change of scenery gives him something new to keep him out of trouble while I'm busy tending to DS2. I'm not the norm here.. I'm sure lots of moms had no problem BFing their 2nd.. I expected to be one of them!! But, it's good to have it n the back of your mind that its possible it may not work out.. I certainly wasn't prepared for it to not, and it crushed me, I'm still holding out hope that we may be able to go back to EBFing once DS beefs up more!! Best of luck to you!!!
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • Options
    My DS2 is a slow eater too, but like pp, my DS1 is great at independent play. Our house is very open concept so wherever I nurse I can see DS1 playing. Sometimes we will read or I'll put on a show or movie, or a lot of the times he will be eating his breakfast or lunch while I'm nursing DS2 so that works out well too. You just figure out what works. Some people nurse while baby wearing and they are able to still play with their older child, but I haven't quite figured that out...

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not gonna lie, it was hard. And I consider myself to have had it easier than most moms. Keeping DD occupied was constantly only mind so that I would have time to BF my second. Basically I set up special play stations that changed everyday. That way she thought she was getting something new to play with each day. Also, I relied a lot on tv. When we went out I brought premixed formula bottles with me to make things easier. I only BFed out of the house if I was at a friend or family members house. I was just never comfortable BFing in public. Since infants sleep so much I made sure to play hard with DD when DS slept. All in all, it wasn't so bad. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    I set up my glider in my toddler's play area so she could play while I nurse. She is good with independent play like PPs. She loves books and will bring to me while I nurse so we also read together. My biggest challenge is getting her to stop climbing on me while I nurse. She wants to sit in my lap so I usually turn on the tv when I can't get her to stop climbing.  I thought it would be really hard to nurse with 2U2, but it's been better than I thought it would.  Good luck!  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had 2 completely different experiences with my #2 and #3.  #2 (my DS was 15.5 months old when she was born) was a super fast and efficient eater.  She ate every 3 hours and took 15-25 min each time.  So I would try to time her feeds while DS was eating his breakfast/lunch/dinner, during nap time or before he woke up in the morning.  After she had her morning feed at say 9-10 ish, we would leave the house to do an activity for DS.  Could be gone for 2 hours before she needed to eat again.  I also would nurse sitting on the floor with him, or just sitting in the playroom with him.  

With #3, she was a very lazy nurser - would need to eat for up to an hour every 2-3 hrs.  Thankfully #1 and 2 were older and had each other to help entertain themselves, but I still needed to get things done and watch them.  I figured out how to feed her while she was in a Maya wrap ring sling.  It changed my life!  I was able to play with the big kids, make them their meals, grocery shop, take the kids to activities, all with the baby nursing.  

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am surprised at how well it is going for us. Most if the times I nurse on the couch and DS just plays, or I have a snack for him. Sometimes I will even sit on the floor and nurse there so I can play with DS as well. You will make it work and find a way that works for you and your family. Good luck
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"