Baby Names
Options

Third Generation Name

If our baby is a boy, my husband really wants to name him after himself and his father... Donald Christopher III. I don't know what we should call him. My husband goes by Chris and my FIL by Don. Donnie is out of the question because it rhymes with our last name. I'm afraid when he is older he will get tired of explaining "Tripp" or "Trey". Any suggestions? Anyone have a Tripp or Trey in the family and if so, how do they feel about it?

Re: Third Generation Name

• Options
    Can't help here but I kinda like Tripp or Trey and I know a lot of people didn't go by their first names or something along those lines, most people didn't ask. I think the only time he will really have to worry about it is with teachers if they ask.
    You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
    Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    <a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view
  • Options
    I like Trey a lot, also I know a Christopher, who goes by "Topher"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't help but think that if there's no option that you love, you should just give him his own freaking name. 

This. I'm not a fan of juniors, thirds, fourths, etc. Especially if they won't even go by their given name. What's the point?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Donald. Great strong name.
  • Options
    I can't help but think that if there's no option that you love, you should just give him his own freaking name. 
    This. I'm not a fan of juniors, thirds, fourths, etc. Especially if they won't even go by their given name. What's the point?

:-bd
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have to agree - if you don't like the name, don't use it.
  • Options
    I've never known of anyone having to explain Tripp or Trey if they're a III.  Go with it if you like it.
  • Options
    I have a cousin that goes by Tripp. I didn't even know he was a Third until we were adults and I saw his DL. I never questioned his name. 
    I also went to school with a guy named Chip. He was a second and his first name was Christopher.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My brother was III. He had a completely different NN from his first name. So did my dad. You can always go that route.
  • Options
    I know a Trip and a Tre, both thirds. They never seem to have trouble explaining it. However, the Tre hates his real name and almost refuses to tell it to people, preferring they think his real name is Tre.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Maybe Topher?

ITA. Fwiw I'd never heard of Tripp/Trey as a nn for a III until this board...and my dad is a III. 

If you can't come up with any nicknames you like from it, why not choose a first name you both like and use Donald/Christopher/Donald Christopher as a middle name or double middle name?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    anssett said:
    Donald. Great strong name.
    Agreed

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"