Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Refusing solids now

My DD is 10 and a half months old now and has been on solids since 6 months old. When she got her upper and lower 2 teeth, we were in teething hell and she stopped eating solids for a lil bit. This past week, she's extra irritable and does not want any solids at all. She hasn't pooped the last 2 days. A couple days before, her poop was way more runny and watery. She doesn't want solids, but will still drink her breast milk from bottles. How long will this last? Teething hell sucks!

Re: Refusing solids now

• Options
    KisstyKissty member
    No way to tell how long it will last.  Have you tried to give her anything to relieve the pain before feeding her solids?  The runny poop is probally a result of the teething.  Wish I could give you a more definitive answer.  Teething is hell, good luck

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Dee719Dee719 member
    edited August 2013
    I was going through the same exact problem as you. My 9 month old was eating Stage 1 and Stage 2 foods just fine until she began Stage 3. The dr. told me the same thing about her refusal to eat due to teething. However, it was frustrating as she relied on her bottles, and at the same time, this is not good as she could become anemic. But with my little one, I realized it was due to the texture of the foods. With Stage 3, there are smaller pieces of food and when she began to feel these, she would literally stick her tongue out and try to get the pieces off with her hands. She was scared to swallow and would gag at the smallest piece of food. This took time to get over. Her dr. recommended pureeing foods or going back to Stage 2 but mixing it with other foods so that at least she is still getting her nutrients from her food. I also realized that my LO wasn't too much into Stage 3 so I began to puree foods at home and also would buy Gerber Toddler meals (for times when I am in a rush) and puree those and she began to eat them with no problem. However, with certain foods, she still wouldn't like to feel smaller pieces of food but she handles it better and now eats Gerber Puffs snacks with no problem. I also add a little bit of flavor in her foods so they aren't so bland. I still buy Stage 3 jars but just incorporate it with whatever I am making. See if that helps you. Believe me, I was going through this for weeks and was getting frustrated (not at her) but just b/c she didn't want to eat; I began to feel like a bad parent :( I puree her foods and just add a bit of formula or water (pending on what I am making) to make it a bit more creamier. For example, for breakfast, she didn't like baby cereal too much. So now, I either put fresh pureed bananas or jarred fruit mixed into it and just a bit of cinnamon and she loves it. Sometimes, it can be the flavors or textures of the foods. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your post! My DD is 8.5 m , and is starting to refuse solids! I didn't know why. But I see now his first two lower teeth are popping in. I noticed that DD will eat if I puree the food like a smoothie and he will drink it from a plastic bowl like drinking from a regular cup.
  • Options
    Dee719 said:
    I was going through the same exact problem as you. My 9 month old was eating Stage 1 and Stage 2 foods just fine until she began Stage 3. The dr. told me the same thing about her refusal to eat due to teething. However, it was frustrating as she relied on her bottles, and at the same time, this is not good as she could become anemic. But with my little one, I realized it was due to the texture of the foods. With Stage 3, there are smaller pieces of food and when she began to feel these, she would literally stick her tongue out and try to get the pieces off with her hands. She was scared to swallow and would gag at the smallest piece of food. This took time to get over. Her dr. recommended pureeing foods or going back to Stage 2 but mixing it with other foods so that at least she is still getting her nutrients from her food. I also realized that my LO wasn't too much into Stage 3 so I began to puree foods at home and also would buy Gerber Toddler meals (for times when I am in a rush) and puree those and she began to eat them with no problem. However, with certain foods, she still wouldn't like to feel smaller pieces of food but she handles it better and now eats Gerber Puffs snacks with no problem. I also add a little bit of flavor in her foods so they aren't so bland. I still buy Stage 3 jars but just incorporate it with whatever I am making. See if that helps you. Believe me, I was going through this for weeks and was getting frustrated (not at her) but just b/c she didn't want to eat; I began to feel like a bad parent :( I puree her foods and just add a bit of formula or water (pending on what I am making) to make it a bit more creamier. For example, for breakfast, she didn't like baby cereal too much. So now, I either put fresh pureed bananas or jarred fruit mixed into it and just a bit of cinnamon and she loves it. Sometimes, it can be the flavors or textures of the foods. Good luck!

This was my DS 1. But since every baby is different, DS2 refused purees flat out at this age and went straight to table foods.  He was totally bored with purees. Try to give a few options a try. I know it is frustrating to see them not eating and making/cleaning up meals that go to waste, but if you're giving options, she'll come around eventually. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My 9 month old is on a similar strike. I finally got her on a regular schedule eating stage 2 foods 3 times a day, then she started getting sick and takes 2 bites of anything I make and spits out the rest. I guess because she isn't feeling well. The only thing she will take is nursing and yogurt. I just keep trying. Hope it all works out for you soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"