Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Cyst on left eyebrow

edited July 2013 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
I'm totally freaking out! My 6 week old has a pea size cyst, maybe a little larger, on the edge of her left eyebrow. We went to her pediatrician yesterday, and she said that it was a cyst and to just watch it if it grows, but that she doesn't even want to think about surgery until dh is 6 months. Is it normal for pediatricians to just be able to look at a lump and know what it is without testing? I asked if it could be cancerous, and she said she wasn't worried about that. She said that was very rare. I still feel worried though. Have any of you experienced this? Thank you! It looks like this just smaller; this is NOT my child, just a google image that looks similar to the cyst on dh. Again, this cyst is larger than my childs.

Re: Cyst on left eyebrow

• Maybe it's just me... But I don't see a cyst in that picture?
  • Asbromle said:

Maybe it's just me... But I don't see a cyst in that picture?

It looks swollen
    I do see that now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Asbromle said:

Maybe it's just me... But I don't see a cyst in that picture?

Yeah, it's a cyst. Looking straight Ay the photo, it's on the left edge of the eyebrow.
  • NKaeding said:

Deep breaths mama.

I'm sure your ped is being honest with you that it's just a cyst. I have no experience, but DH actually had one as a child right below his ear. It was never an issue--no pain or anything--and was finally removed when he was in 2nd grade for cosmetic reasons.

Similarly, I found a lump in my neck several years ago and was concerned as well. The doc looked at it, felt around and determined that it was just a swollen lymph node. I didn't need a biospy or anything.

Likely your ped thinks that the risks of doing a biospy far outweigh observation in a baby that young especially if cancer is very rare.

Thank you so much for your reassurance. You never want to see a lump on your child, but as long as it's not serious, I guess it's Ok. Thanks again!
  • It is most likely a dermoid cyst. My son was born with one. I would ask your pedi for a referral to have it checked out by someone with more experience in the matter. They are harmless ( not cancerous) but are often removed since they can impact bone growth if they get too large. My son's was removed just shy of his first birthday. He is 2.5 yrs old and you can't even see where they made the incision. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Did you notice it right when he was born. Hers wasn't noticeable until about 1 month old. Thanks for the reassurance, im glad your son is doing great!
  • DD has something similar behind her ear. It's a little smaller than a pea and moves around if you push on it. It doesn't hurt or bother her at all. I'm going to ask the pedi about it at her two month appointment next week but I'm expecting him to say its just a cyst and nothing to worry about
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • kriskell said:

DD has something similar behind her ear. It's a little smaller than a pea and moves around if you push on it. It doesn't hurt or bother her at all. I'm going to ask the pedi about it at her two month appointment next week but I'm expecting him to say its just a cyst and nothing to worry about

Yeah, I'm sure it's a similar thing. My dd's doesn't hurt her either, yet it doesn't move around like yours. Hopefully it goes away!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"