April 2014 Moms

Cloth Diapering -- Great Website

Hi ladies,

I'm a FTM and this cloth diapering website was recommended to me on the bump and I absolutely LOVE it.  I just want to share it with all of you.

https://www.sweetbottomsbaby.com/

They have FREE SHIPPING all the time, no matter how big or small your purchase (which is great for me because I plan to buy like 1-2 diapers a week). 
They also have samples you can choose with your order (as long as it's over $25).
They have a monthly freebie you get with your order, Right now it's Natural Organic Nursing Pads (normally $7.25 for FREE) with any purchase over $25. 
If you sign up, every $1 you spend you get a point.  Once you have 200 points, you get a $10 gift certificate.

So I received my first 2 diapers (really quick!) on Thursday and I got my free nursing pads, as well as a cloth diapering detergent sample.  They also included a business card with my name and said, "Thank you for your purchase! Happy cloth diapering!" Not to mention it was all wrapped up super cute with a  bow!

I was VERY impressed and will continue to do service with this cute Sweet Bottoms store! =)

Wife & Full Time Step Mama to an incredible boy! =)
First Date.. March 11, 2010  Engaged...August 09, 2011   Married...August 11, 2012    BFP...July 21, 2013
E.D.D... March 31, 2014

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cloth Diapering -- Great Website

• J&NLJ&NL member
    edited August 2013
    Ohh ohh and to make you jealous, they have a location in my city so I can go to the store! I'm so excited to go. My friend is a CD mama so she is taking me and showing me the ropes. 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • J&NL said:
    Ohh ohh and to make you jealous, they have a location in my city so I can go to the store! I'm so excited to go. My friend is a CD mama so she is taking me and showing me the ropes. 
    Ugh I am sooo jealous! I told my husband I wish we lived in Raleigh, NC!! They're always hiring teachers near there, unlike PA where we live and then when I saw their store was there.  I was like, "WE MUST MOVE!" Lol!  Have fun on your shopping trip.  If you friend gives you any good advice forward it my way.  I have no one close to me that cloth diapers, so everyone probably thinks I'm nuts.  But I'm just buying AIO's right now, because they seem so much easier.

First Date.. March 11, 2010  Engaged...August 09, 2011   Married...August 11, 2012    BFP...July 21, 2013
    E.D.D... March 31, 2014

• J&NLJ&NL member
    MrsS81112 said:
    J&NL said:
    Ugh I am sooo jealous! I told my husband I wish we lived in Raleigh, NC!! They're always hiring teachers near there, unlike PA where we live and then when I saw their store was there.  I was like, "WE MUST MOVE!" Lol!  Have fun on your shopping trip.  If you friend gives you any good advice forward it my way.  I have no one close to me that cloth diapers, so everyone probably thinks I'm nuts.  But I'm just buying AIO's right now, because they seem so much easier.
    Yes, I'm very excited to have a friend that CD so I don't seem like such a weirdo lol I haven't even started yet. I'm just going to wait until I go to the store and then decide because I absolutely have no idea what I need to buy or anything. If I learn something new I will let you know! 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • yay!!! i am a cloth diapering veteran, so ask away if you guys have any questions!
  • I love that site! Nickis Diapers is also a really awesome site! After trying all in ones, pockets and Bum Genius Flip system (AI2), I like their AI2 system the best :-) They're called Best Bottom diapers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I bought a couple a month while pregnant with my oldest. its a good way to go. :)
  • Thank you for all of the advice! I love it!
    @jlrschmidt, I will definitely be looking into the Best Bottom Diapers and finding Nicki's Diapers site!

@spasticfantastic the only question I have right now is the sprayer... Is there a certain one you would recommend, like the Bum Genius sprayer?  Or does it not really matter?  If I think of any others I will ask.  I definitely really want this to work (CD) so I plan to give it my all! =)

E.D.D... March 31, 2014

• Sprayer doesn't matter. They're all the same. We have the one from cotton babies.
  • Search for "mini-shower hand held bidet" on amazon. This is the company that makes the sprayers for BG. They are marketed differently, but it is identical to the BG branded sprayer, as is a bit less expensive. Ours is white. I do think this brand is better, and when a plastic piece broke inside my handle after 2 years of use, the company mailed me 2 spare parts for free ASAP! Can't beat service like that!

FWIW, I have heard the Knickernappies sprayer is NOT as good, though I only have direct experience with the one I mentioned above (which I LOVE!)
  • I should add.... Mini-Shower is the brand name... hyphen and all!
  • MrsS81112MrsS81112 member
    edited August 2013

@Spasticfantastic Awesome! I am checking it out now!
    I can't seem to find it on Amazon? If you could send me a link to the one you have that would be great! =)

@jlrschmidt I was checking out those Best Bottom diapers last night.  They look amazing! I will definitely be purchasing them as my next cloth diaper purchase.  I want some variety and those look good to add to my collection.  I love that you just have to snap out the insert and can re-use the diaper! 

E.D.D... March 31, 2014

• My sister in law introduced me to the world of CD. I want to do that too! Thanks for sharing!
  • Hmm, it looks like they rebranded the name/look and raised prices :(

Bummer... we got ours for about $35 way back when

• @spasticfantastic It's still cheaper than the BumGenius and has better reviews.  =) Thank you!

E.D.D... March 31, 2014

• Thanks for sharing that site! I'm excited to look at it tonight when I get home!

What are some of the favorite brands? First time mama here and I know that I/we definitely want to CD, just not sure where to start...

11.18.12 Married
    09.06.13 MC at 6w
    BFP 12.04.13 - EDD 08.12.14

• for prefolds, there is ONLY one place to go....  www.greenmountaindiapers.com for their own "cloth-eez" brand.  orange edge newborn size is perfect for fresh new babies, but their bigger sizes work well as baby grows.  we used these prefolds with a cover (thirsties duo size 1) for the first 3-4 months

after that, we switching to using BumGenius elementals (their organic AIO diaper) and loved this system.  i hate stuffing and unstuffing diapers, and i hated the microfiber stink from my pockets.  for us, the organic cotton was the way to go.
  • @spasticfantastic it's possible to use AIO's with a newborn right?
    @jlrschmidt did you use the Best Bottoms on your baby as a newborn or later on?

I am hoping to be able to use Newborn AIOs and the Best Bottoms from newborn and up.  So I didn't have to try to do the prefold thing.  I guess I should look into it at least, I haven't even done that. 

E.D.D... March 31, 2014

• @MrsS81112 nope, AIOs are usually marketed as working from 8 pounds and up, but the overwhelming majority of moms would say they start fitting best around 3-4 months once babies get a bit of chunk on their thighs.  you'll definitely want to have a separate newborn stash for the early weeks if you plan on CDing right from the beginning.
  • @Spasticfantastic, even the "newborn AIO"?  The BumGenius newborn says 6-12 pounds and the Swaddlebee one that I bought says 6-16 pounds?
    Then the Best Bottoms I'm looking into buying says from birth - 35 pounds? Not sure how true the "birth" part of that is?

Are prefolds difficult to use?

E.D.D... March 31, 2014

• Thanks for sharing that site! I'm excited to look at it tonight when I get home!

What are some of the favorite brands? First time mama here and I know that I/we definitely want to CD, just not sure where to start...

Start with watching the You Tube 101 series (I think it's 6 videos?) I love my pockets, and my favorite brands are Bumgenius 4.0, Rumparooz and Blueberry Deluxe. The Rumparooz are awesome for ebf poop because they have let gussets. They are all one-size though and don't fit until the baby is 10ish pounds.
  • Let's not forget about Abby's Lane and Kelly's Closet. Those are my favorite CD stores. And you should absolutely get on the Varagesale cloth diaper page if you are OK buying used. There are a ton of members there and awesome deals. There are also separate B/S/T groups for BG & Blueberry, as well as Sustainablebabyish.

Start with watching the You Tube 101 series (I think it's 6 videos?) I love my pockets, and my favorite brands are Bumgenius 4.0, Rumparooz and Blueberry Deluxe. The Rumparooz are awesome for ebf poop because they have let gussets. They are all one-size though and don't fit until the baby is 10ish pounds.
    Oh, and I totally forgot Sustainablebabyish. I love their fitteds and wool covers!
  • For anyone who knows I am going to be a first time momma. How much money does it save? And how many do you need for each size? I am still on the fence.
    3 MMC #1 Ivf Fet pregnancy BFP 2/10/18

• For anyone who knows I am going to be a first time momma. How much money does it save? And how many do you need for each size? I am still on the fence.
    It depends on what kind of system you want to use. If you use pockets and all-in-ones, then I would say that with all of your diapers and accessories, it would cost you about $800. If you do prefolds and covers, then it would be much cheaper. Then you have to remember that you can use them for any additional kids with little added cost. I've heard estimates for disposables around $1,500-$3,000 depending on what type you buy and what age they potty train.
    We also started CDing for environmental reasons, not money saving. Disposables take up to 500 years to decompose and it totally grosses me out to think that millions are entering our landfills daily!
  • ohhhhh, newborn AIOs are different from regular adjustable-rise AIOs or adjustable-rise pockets.  you're right - a newborn AIO (like the Grovia newborns, or the BG newborns) would definitely fit the itty bitty babies!
  • @Spasticfantastic - Okay, great!  Thank you!

I too think the landfill is completely disgusting, that reason as well as the idea that disposable diapers have chemicals in them, and money saving sold me onto cloth diapers.  The cuteness is an extra factor!  But I honestly cannot wait to be a cloth diapering mama and I hope my friends/family change their opinions on disposables too when they see how easy it is!  =)

E.D.D... March 31, 2014

• MrsS81112 said:

@Spasticfantastic - Okay, great!  Thank you!

I too think the landfill is completely disgusting, that reason as well as the idea that disposable diapers have chemicals in them, and money saving sold me onto cloth diapers.  The cuteness is an extra factor!  But I honestly cannot wait to be a cloth diapering mama and I hope my friends/family change their opinions on disposables too when they see how easy it is!  =)

Before we switched to cloth for DS, we went through a few periods where EVERY poopy diaper was a blowout, no matter what type or size I had on him. It was disgusting to take him out of his carseat and he would have poop up to his neck. Every diaper change required wiping him completely down and rinsing out poopy clothes. Zero issues when we switched to cloth. That should sell anybody who does diaper changes for you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"