Health & Exercise

Squats pregnant

I do squats amongst other working out and I'm 30 weeks. Someone at the gym said I shouldn't be doing squats or walking on a high incline or I'm going to end up with a still born! I read about working out while pregnant and I have read nothing saying these are bad. I do get some soreness after walking so I switched to the elliptical which seems a little easier on my groin.

Re: Squats pregnant

• Be careful from whom you accept medical advice. If any bit of this were true, your OB would have brought it up, assuming you've disclosed to your OB that you lift weights. I've been lifting throughout my pregnancy and while I do get some sideways glances when I'm doing some of the lifts, I am very confident in the amount of weight, number of reps, and form I use while lifting. As PP mentioned, the one thing to be very careful about is ensuring you're not compromising your form in order to do any lifts. Ease up on weight and increase rep to keep the volume up. I hope you don't solicit advice from gym goers; if it's anything like my gym, you're better off smiling, replacing your headphones, and going about your business. Keep doing what you do and stay safe with those lifts. Strength training is incredibly beneficial when done right!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks!  Thats what I thought.  I don't do an excessive amount of weights and I've been doing it since before getting pregnant and now I'm 7 months so I think I would have came across a problem. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Squats are great. Read a recent article on the benefits of squats for pregnant women. You'll probably be squatting in labor if you refuse the epi and aren't stuck on your back. Keep the load easy/moderate and keep it up!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"