Military Families

Sending Baked Goods

I have been scouring the internet for baked goods to send to my amazing hubby but I cannot really find anything I can really do. I dont know how to vacuum seal goods, and I don't want to spend the extra money to buy a food vacuum sealer, so I wouldn't even know how to do that! He is stationed in Japan and it is HOT HOT HOT over there right now. Any suggestions? He is having a really hard time and I want to send something personal, not just something bought.

Re: Sending Baked Goods

• Google cake in a jar, those are easy.

Also if you send cookies or something just put them in tupperware and throw in a piece of bread. My mom did that when she sent me stuff while deployed.

CJ 05/29/2013

• I always send homemade baked goodies to my husband when he deploys to the dessert.  I have never vacuumed sealed any of them.  Depending on what I make I always put them in the disposable zip-lock containers (cupcakes) or zip-lock bags (cookies).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Cake in a jar turns out great. Make sure you send a can of frosting too. ;-)

Frankly, you can make most anything in a jar, and if you put the lid on it while it's still very hot it will seal itself shut.

I sent cookies to afghanistan when my husband was there also, made them small enough to fit in a pringles can. Fits in flat rate box just right and added some structure to keep them from smushing.

If you go that route (or tupperwear) don't forget a slice of bread to keep them from getting dry.

• The disposable ziplock or gladware containers are fine, no need to vacuum pack anything. If you can, try to separate the cookies/brownies/whatever into individual servings, either with wax paper or ziplock bags or Saran Wrap or whatever, then put it all into a displosable gladware container. Easy peasy. If you send it priority mail to APO, then it should get there in about a week, and it will be fine.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My friend just did cake in a jar. Like everyone else has said, it's easy and delicious. He will love that.
    Welcome Lily Anna!
    photo 1456712_10152106342897743_1211250038_nTB_zps917a6c9a.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Make cookies or brownies, put them in a ziplock bag, and send them on their way.  If they don't make it you'll find out pretty quickly but I've seen stuff sent to Korea and Afghanistan in zip lock bags and it's been just fine.  The only time I would say not to do that are Kuwait/Iraq and if the person's on a really remote FOB in a combat zone that takes forever to get mail to.  Japan shouldn't take too long by regular mail.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"