January 2013 Moms

Re: MMR vaccine causes autism!?

• Jenny has done irreparable damage in this regard...and now she's got a paid soapbox on The View. Le sigh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just can't...
    Somebody posted that same b.s. on facebook yesterday. A commenter said her sister dosn't vaccinate and none of her kids have autism.
    I wanted to bang my head on the keyboard.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Jenny has done irreparable damage in this regard...and now she's got a paid soapbox on The View. Le sigh.

My feelings exactly!

• I cannot believe i actually know people that straight up believe this. People who are otherwise extremely intelligent, but seriously bought into this, and think that shots give kids Autism.. Like it's that easy. One little shot, and BAM! Autism.... Like really?

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• EagsEags member

Jenny has done irreparable damage in this regard...and now she's got a paid soapbox on The View. Le sigh.
    My feelings exactly!

This times a million. The researcher who did the original (botched up) research has his medical license revoked and a retraction was issued for the paper. I would say I don't understand how this myth persists... but I can't. It's because of idiots like her.
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • Eags said:

Jenny has done irreparable damage in this regard...and now she's got a paid soapbox on The View. Le sigh.
    My feelings exactly!
    This times a million. The researcher who did the original (botched up) research has his medical license revoked and a retraction was issued for the paper. I would say I don't understand how this myth persists... but I can't. It's because of idiots like her.

I couldn't agree more
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• You're kidding, right?
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • It's just so maddening that so many preventable diseases are making a comeback because people believe bunk like that...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• These responses are why I love the Jan13 board.
  • The fact that people truly believe this boggles my mind. really.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Crap like this makes me angry....

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• sekurasekura member
    yay!  I don't even have to bring out all the statistics and risk data--Jan 13 mommas already know!

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
    Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
    May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
    BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
    "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

• Ugh. The thing I hate about this is that the majority of my friends and acquaintances believe this. The maJORity! And they're all, "OMG, you're vaccinating?!?!?! Don't you know your baby's going to get Autism?!!!!1!!!!"

And yes, I'm appropriately embarrassed that my friends believe this. :-/
  • martha919 said:
    Ugh. The thing I hate about this is that the majority of my friends and acquaintances believe this. The maJORity! And they're all, "OMG, you're vaccinating?!?!?! Don't you know your baby's going to get Autism?!!!!1!!!!" And yes, I'm appropriately embarrassed that my friends believe this. :-/

I feel your pain. A couple of our friends are about to have a baby, in like 6 weeks or so i think, and mama is convinced that vaccines are what gave her niece autism, and that it was like immediate. She swears up and down that they went in with a normal baby, and left with an autistic one, so they are not vaccinating. It frustrates the hell out of me, but what can you do?

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• I know this post is about autism, but people can choose not to vaccinate for reasons other than that as well.
  • Of course they can. And you'll notice everyone was talking about this specific excuse, and how absurd it is. I am sure there are several reasons people choose not to. I think they are wrong (barring medical conditions of course), but hey. That's just me. 

• Of course they can. And you'll notice everyone was talking about this specific excuse, and how absurd it is. I am sure there are several reasons people choose not to. I think they are wrong (barring medical conditions of course), but hey. That's just me. 

Not just you, I have yet to hear a good excuse besides medical conditions.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Not just you, I have yet to hear a good excuse besides medical conditions.
    Yes, unless you have a documented family history of a severe reaction, I just can't understand why you wouldn't vaccinate.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Sigh.. I am part of a cloth diaper group here at Fort Hood, and there is this huge thread on it right now full of moms who aren't vaccinating for this reason, and who are citing the article OP linked to. I generally like these women, and they have helped me so much, but they straight up believe that autism is not genetic and is caused later in life by things like vaccines and western medicinal practices. I am all for being crunchy, but COME ON...!

• These responses are why I love the Jan13 board.
    Here here! I opened this thread with more than a little apprehension, but you mamas are wonderful!!

I have a friend on FB with a 2 yr old, a 8 month old and fostering-to-adopt a 10 month old. She does not vaccinate her own two children and every time she HAS to vaccinate her foster child she whines about how terrible it is to see her child crying over shots and posts some ridiculous study. I will usually read the 'study' (usually survey based... real scientific) and spend far too much time hashing out all its flaws with DH to keep myself from saying anything to my friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"