Pre-School and Daycare

Flying with 2.5 year old - car seat on plane?

We're flying to NY this weekend with both kids and I'm torn as to whether or not to have DD just sit in the seat or bring her car seat on board (we'll be bringing it anyway since we'll need it once we get there). I really don't want to havce to lug more than we need to through the airports...Thoughts?

Re: Flying with 2.5 year old - car seat on plane?

• We never used it on the plane.  My DS just sits in the seat.  I would check it. 
  • I would use it. Checking a car seat is not recommended because of the way luggage handlers could treat it. They may toss or throw it and cause damage that may not be visible (I.e. when you're in a car accident and you have to replace a seat even though there is no visible damage) or if it got lost and didn't arrive when you went to claim it. I'm not willing to trust luggage handlers with my children's car seats. You can use bungee cords to attach it to a rolling carry on or they make carts specifically for car seats (Go Go Wheelz Travelmate).
  • Loading the player...
  • If you have to bring one anyway, I would personally take it on the plane.  It's a pain to lug around....but it's more of a pain to get to the luggage pick up and find out that your seat is cracked because they were throwing it around.  It happened to us and it stinks.  (It was in a car seat bag because my biggest worry is that it would get dirty!)    Have a good trip!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • We've checked ours before and never had a problem. That said, you are taking a risk with how they handle it.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Checked it on 10+ flights and no issues. If you do take it, you may want to verify that it will indeed fit in the airplane seat. Maybe some of the Moms here who have done it can help with that point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd just have your child sit on the plane seat. Check the car seat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Carrying the car seat on the plane is too much of a PITA for me. I always check in and have never had any issues. If you are worried about LO moving around look into purchasing (or rent Ebay) a CARES harness.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No car seat at that age. The seat on a plane is so big and comfy for a kid. And if you are not driving in NY then you do not need a car seat at all.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • No carseat here because if we used it, DS would be able to kick the seat in front of him the whole flight. He will be much better behaved without it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd take it on the plane. The FAA knows more than we do about this subject, and checking a car seat isn't safe. You can't always see damage on a seat. FAA recommends a car seat for kids under 40lbs. A kid that young won't get a proper belt fit and puts them at risk for being a projectile.

And just because a car seat doesn't look damaged doesn't mean it isn't.

Back by popular demand....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"