December 2013 Moms

Dumbassery

I shouldn’t judge but I have to.  I have to.  I went to Target and it is 100+ degrees outside and as I go to get back in my car, I see a lady just sitting in the car with a baby in the back seat (car is not on).  The lady gets out to smoke and talk on the cell phone and leaves the baby sitting in the car with no freakin’ air on!!  A man who was putting his cart away said something to her so she started up the car but it’s like, what the hell lady?  I felt like all kinds of slapping needed to happen!  Dumbassery.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Dumbassery

• Dumbassary indeed.

• I guess she at least got out of the car to smoke a cigarette.  But the baby in an unventilated hot car is really frightening.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would have gotten her plates and called the cops! I don't even do that to my dog! Total  dumbassery!

Mom+Dad+Josie+May 2015=2 under 2!!!!  

• NYMama1 said:
    I guess she at least got out of the car to smoke a cigarette.  But the baby in an unventilated hot car is really frightening.

Exactly!  There is a heat advisory today (just like every other day here) which makes this so dangerous!

HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM CDT THIS EVENING...

* EVENT... HEAT INDICES WILL RANGE BETWEEN 108 AND 112.

• My MIL would have called the cops, she has before for that reason and for people not having their kids ( like two years olds) secured in a car seat. I'm in MS and when I stop for gas I'll roll the window down so I can turn the engine off. Just in those few minutes its ridiculously hot. Ug people amaze me. I see people here leave pets in the car all the time :(
  • Well, the way I see it is that at least she got out of the car to smoke. The two minutes the baby was in the car without air would be really uncomfortable for the baby, but I'm not sure it's a reason to call the cops @mamahanna.

BTW, my car can be off and still on blowing coolish air. So honestly, you have no idea what was really going on in the car. 
  • Can I just say how much I love the term 'dumbassery'

This ranks up there with the dad I saw dumping soft serve into his one month's old baby bottle and feeding it to her while she spit up.

• KateMW said:

BTW, my car can be off and still on blowing coolish air. So honestly, you have no idea what was really going on in the car. 
    True but she had her keys hanging from the belt loop of her cutoff jean shorts...

• So I saw dumbassery and my exhausted brain thought what kind of a nursery theme is that. Lol I need a nap.
  • KateMW said:

True but she had her keys hanging from the belt loop of her cutoff jean shorts...
    So I assume you are making fun of her shorts as well?

FTR, I have push button start. ;) So you still wouldn't know if I was just a crappy parent or had a really awesome car.
  • ScarlettV said:
    Can I just say how much I love the term 'dumbassery' This ranks up there with the dad I saw dumping soft serve into his one month's old baby bottle and feeding it to her while she spit up.
    Really? Those two things aren't even close.
  • KateMW said:

You really had to add that she was wearing cut off jean shorts?That just paints a picture for me! And let me tell ya...it is not a pretty one!

• MamaHanna said:
    KateMW said:

You really had to add that she was wearing cut off jean shorts?That just paints a picture for me! And let me tell ya...it is not a pretty one!

They were more on the jorts level than the daisy dukes level so it may not be as bad at it sounds.  I  feel as though this description was necessary!  No hate toward jean short wearers at all…that’s just what this person happened to be wearing…

@KateMW I totally feel you on the push button starts – a nice touch but probably not around when Ford Festivas were made??  Who knows though, she could have a custom Festiva…

BTW – I made the Pioneer Woman quesadillas you mentioned and they were awesome!  I added a few extras.     

• Ooo I need to make those things...what did you add? 
  • I have seen this before with babies and animals. With babies if you call 911 most of the time they will tell you to break the window and they will send a squad car. With pets they will once again tell you to break the window and if you want to bring the animal to the humane society then to do so. I have broken a few windows this summer because people have insisted on leaving their dogs in their cars on hot days.

• KateMW said:
    Ooo I need to make those things...what did you add? 

We made a cilantro ranch dipping sauce and I added a little bit of chorizo to the inside and some queso fresco.  We made some with and without the meat and both were good.       

• I don't think dumbassery is the best word for this.  Dumbassery is when you don't take proper safety precautions...

or when you attempt something you clearly know you can't do...

But locking a child in a potentially overheated car without the air conditioning?  Potentially abusive.  I hope KateMW is right when about the conditions in the car perhaps not being as bad as we think.
    But for two minutes while she smoked, right next to the car, probably nothing was going to happen anyway.
  • KateMW said:
    I don't think dumbassery is the best word for this.  Dumbassery is when you don't take proper safety precautions...

or when you attempt something you clearly know you can't do...

But locking a child in a potentially overheated car without the air conditioning?  Potentially abusive.  I hope KateMW is right when about the conditions in the car perhaps not being as bad as we think.
    But for two minutes while she smoked, right next to the car, probably nothing was going to happen anyway.
    I have gotten heat stroke and passed out as a teenager in 15 minutes outside on a really hot day. God only knows how fast that could happen to a baby in a car. They would not put out a heat advisory for nothing. It means the heat is bad enough to hurt you and fast!

• I can't stand sitting in my car for more than a minute when its off and hot and its nowhere near 100 degrees here.

And if she had to get into the car and start it after the guy said something to her, then we can assume the ac wasn't on...otherwise she probably would have said "hey no worries, the air is on."

• I agree it's hot and I hate sitting in the car with the air off, but calling the police? Really?
  • The thing is being in Texas myself it gets hot REALLLLLY fast especially in 104 degree weather. I start melting just starting my car on in the afternoon and begging my AC to blow cold air within seconds.

I would judge and probably tell her something...  

Mommy of four munchkins!

• I don't know if I would call the cops, its hard to say having not been there. But if she really was smoking with her baby in the hot car (and kudos to her for not smoking IN the car), then the point is she will probably do it again, and the next time could be disastrous for her baby; unless something drastic happens, like having the cops called.

It sounds like since both OP, and another stranger were both bothered enough to want to say something, it wasn't just nothing.

• mcraig107 said:

The thing is being in Texas myself it gets hot REALLLLLY fast especially in 104 degree weather. I start melting just starting my car on in the afternoon and begging my AC to blow cold air within seconds.

Yeah, I know. I lived there for 12 years.
  • KateMW said:
    mcraig107 said:

The thing is being in Texas myself it gets hot REALLLLLY fast especially in 104 degree weather. I start melting just starting my car on in the afternoon and begging my AC to blow cold air within seconds.

Yeah, I know. I lived there for 12 years.
    But like you said, you are not sure what the situation is in the car so who knows what the real deal was.

Mommy of four munchkins!

• KateMW said:

I agree it's hot and I hate sitting in the car with the air off, but calling the police? Really?

Yes really. God forbid op had read in the news that that baby had died. Id rather be safe. I'm a non interfering kind of person, but this is the kind I situation it's important to get involved. If the conditions were fine and it ends up being an overreaction then nothing is harmed.
  • DH's work colleague came back from his holidays very recently and was quite troubled about an experience he had had. He was waiting for his wife on the street by his car and noticed a little girl of around 6 years of age in a car beside him. There was a heatwave and the car had all it's windows up. He noticed that she wasn't looking very well and started to talk to her and see if she was ok. No sign of any adults. She said she was too hot and started to pass out a bit. He didn't know what to do and started getting pretty worried when another man passing by saw his distress and asked if he was ok or needed help with something. The work colleague expressed his concerns for the little girl in the car. The passer by about two seconds to evaluate the situation,realised that the danger was very real,picked up the first heavy thing he could find on the street,smashed in one of the car windows and got the girl out and called the police right away. By the time the police got there the grandmother was coming back to the car. She was arrested on the spot and taken to the police station. The little girl was seen to by a medic. Cops told the guy he'd done the right thing.  The work colleague was quite taken back by the swift actions of the passer by but obviously it was a good thing he did react so assertively. Well done I say!

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

(Always in our hearts baby Erwan 22/03/11. 22w + 5d)

• DH's work colleague came back from his holidays very recently and was quite troubled about an experience he had had. He was waiting for his wife on the street by his car and noticed a little girl of around 6 years of age in a car beside him. There was a heatwave and the car had all it's windows up. He noticed that she wasn't looking very well and started to talk to her and see if she was ok. No sign of any adults. She said she was too hot and started to pass out a bit. He didn't know what to do and started getting pretty worried when another man passing by saw his distress and asked if he was ok or needed help with something. The work colleague expressed his concerns for the little girl in the car. The passer by about two seconds to evaluate the situation,realised that the danger was very real,picked up the first heavy thing he could find on the street,smashed in one of the car windows and got the girl out and called the police right away. By the time the police got there the grandmother was coming back to the car. She was arrested on the spot and taken to the police station. The little girl was seen to by a medic. Cops told the guy he'd done the right thing.  The work colleague was quite taken back by the swift actions of the passer by but obviously it was a good thing he did react so assertively. Well done I say!
    I agree that that was the right thing in that situation. 
  • Can't a 6 year old open the door for them though? That's a little odd.
  • I thought op had said she had fainted.
  • Lyzza350 said:
    I thought op had said she had fainted.
    I reread and she said she "started to pass out a bit" Not sure what that means, but maybe that's why.
  • This is a good story, I mean that was he right thing to do, but - I once had to try to smash my car window out with a rock and it was next to impossible. All it did was make scratches and I hit that thing HARD. The glass in cars now isn't the same as the kind that just smashes to pieces. (And my car wasnt that new). That must have been some serious sized rock, or he must have hit it just right.

• Well, you can use those window breakers with the point on them? Maybe he used a corner?
  • I have a window breaker in my car. It is a 7 in 1 tire gauge and has other stuff on it. You don't even have to hit it hard.

• I'm with Kate on this one. Calling the cops would be a little dramatic. It would be have simple to crack a window or start the car but she did get out the car to smoke and was checking her phone prior to driving so I give her props for that. Usually I start the car right away then put my son in but if the baby was in there for a minute or two I'm sure he'd be okay. If the baby started crying she would obviously hear it. Sometimes I pull in to the driveway after a long drive and I turn my car off and wind up checking my phone for a minute before going in and in that short time the car, me and my son are perfectly fine. I promise. If the baby was in there for 10-15 min while she stood outside I would start to get a little more nervous. However, different situations do call for different measures. If I saw a baby in the car on a hot (or cold day) by itself I would call the police immediately then break their window open.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"