June 2013 Moms
Options

Possible clogged tear duct

My LO had some eye goo in the corner of her eye last night. Of course I removed it. And this mornibg when she got up she had more goo and eye crust. I immediately washed it with a warm washcloth. I know she probably has a blocked tear duct and I plan to keep washing it, massaging the duct, and applying breastmilk to it. However around her entire eye is a little swollen and her eyelid is red, more in one spot than the rest. Is this common for a clogged duct or is it possible she scratched her eye and its irritated?? I guess the washing and breastmilk will soothe it if it is scratched I assume. So either way it will heal up soon hopefully.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Re: Possible clogged tear duct

• Options
    Sounds like it could be pink eye. What color was/is the discharge?
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options
    My DS has this. His eye is gooey all the time. His eye lid will get a little red and puffy if it has been wiped too many times that day or if it is an especially bad day for his tear duct. My pedi said that unless the white of his eye is pink or red that it is just a blocked tear duct. She said to wipe it with a warm washcloth, being sure never to use the same spot. She also said try to keep it clean and dry, and to leave the warm wash cloth on his eye for a minute or two to try to open the duct. She told me that kids typically grow out of it by the time the are 1.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO had it pediatrician said wipe with a clean warm washcloth and massage eye. Was gone within 2 weeks. I don't think I would do breast milk. Unless it is a infection it will go away on its own.
  • Options
    jeska511jeska511 member
    edited August 2013
    The first goo was dark yellowish but the crust is white/ yellow. The eye of his eye isnt red or pink though.

Thank yall :)

imageimage
  • Options
    Ditto all this but we used eye drops as well. Apparently it can come and go.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My LO has/had  a blocked tear duct. It seemed to be the whole eye by day 2. We also used antibiotic drops. That was at week 5. She will be 10 weeks Friday, and I just yesterday saw a little sign of it flaring up again.
              image image

• Options
    Just as an FYI if the discharge is lime green, even if the eye isn't red (yet) it's pink eye. Try to get the vigamox drops over the cream because it's much easier to administer

• Options
    Lime green or like a dark yellowish green?

imageimage
  • Options
    Is that over the counter or prescription?

imageimage
  • Options
    My doc said my guy's blocked duct could easily bring on pink eye so I got the antibiotic drops preventatively. We have a toddler and an extra bottle of the meds won't last long based on how many times DS1 got it last cold season!

• Options
    Sorry for the delay...keep an eye on the dark yellowish green, but the green I'm talking to is like electric lime green. Vigamox is a prescription. I would do what pp said and ask the doc for a preventative script. The drops prevent the discharge from happening almost immediately.

• Options
    Okay. There hasnt been anymore greenish color just yellow and crust. Ive been doing all the things I said I was going to do. Calling the dr tomorrow

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"