High-Risk Pregnancy

Pregnant On Mirena IUD - Long

Hi,

So, I went to the OB to have my Mirena removed (I had had it for not quite 5 years.) and I found out I was pregnant. I had been having lots of clotting and bleeding which the nurse line nurses kept saying was just my lining shedding due to the hormone levels of the IUD running out. WRONG!

It took two painful transvagaginal ultrasounds to find the IUD because I have a large subchorionic hematoma. Although I had felt the strings the week or so before I guess my changing uterus had moved it so they couldn't be seen. The OB was able to use a forceps to remove it and it did not cause a miscarriage. Two OBs basically laid it out that I was going to miscarry, which frankly, I was hoping for. I have two DDs ages 7 and 5. I'm 37, DH is 47 and has health problems related to a fall two years ago. I was actually planning on getting info for sterilization at the appt. I just can't believe this. I'm so mad about the Mirena fail and even though I keep having large bleeding episodes the baby keeps hanging in there. I'm worried that if I lose it I'll feel guilty that I didn't want it but I'm also nervous about having a baby and hoping that I don't resent it and that I love it as much as my other kids and that I am even capable of doing this all again! It is such a mental kick in the head. I've been so excited to relaunch my business and find myself again this fall when DD#2 starts kindergarten.

I'm 10 weeks now. I was 6 when I found out. I've basically been laying around since then. I have pain in my side and whenever I walk around much or try and go downstairs to do laundry I have hemorrhaging.

I don't know what I'm asking for here, just releasing, I guess. Thx

Re: Pregnant On Mirena IUD - Long

• Just wanted to say I am sorry. 
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • movinupmovinup member
    Thank you. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • sorry you are in pain feel free to vent away
  • kcox123kcox123 member

Wow. So sorry. No advice but I am planning to get an IUD after this fourth and intended final baby. I can only imagine how it would feel to find out it failed. I realize it is not 100%, but 99+%... You never expect to be on the bad side of that stat...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am 10 weeks pregnant with the Paraguard still in place. Same exact situation constant bleeding and worrying about threatened abortion as doc is unable to remove the IUD. I feel so duped. This will be my sixth child. I was told by my GYN that the IUD was as effective as a tubal ligation. Less than 1 chance of pregnancy they say. My youngest starts school this fall and my husband and I are completely sideswiped at the news that we are to be parents again. Emotions are all over the place. Hard to get excited when it was so unexpected and the doctor is prepping you that the chance for miscarriage is so high. I would not recommend an IUD to my friend or foe. Pregnancy with IUD appears to be much more frequent than advertised. The stress and uncertainty I am going through being pregnant with the IUD is just unbearable. Good luck to you sister wishing you good health happiness on this journey!
  • heatherbutters  I'm sorry, I didn't see this before. I hope everything is working out for you, whatever that may be. Just to update, my baby is doing great and I just hit the 24 week mark. I still have pain and can't walk far or walk up stairs much, but the baby has not been affected. Now, we're trying to figure out where to put it in our little house. I also wonder if the IUD failure rate is as low as they claim. My Dr. is flabbergasted that the baby has made it to viability!

K

• I'm in the same boat. Paragard imbedded in my cervix. I feel a case needs to be formed against Teva pharmaceuticals. It's something wrong with these devices since they can't be removed. I read online that a lady is suing in Florida because the paragard migrated from her uterus into her colon, embedded, and caused her a lot of health problems. What do you think?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"