March 2014 Moms
Options

Kegels

The incessant trips to the bathroom were driving me nuts, so I started doing some research on it. That led me directly to the mandate that all pregnant women should be doing Kegels... a lot of them. They suggested: "Do them in sets of ten and try to work up to three or four sets about three times a day." These sets aren't short sets either. They want you to hold each contraction for a minute at a time.

So, my questions for the group...
Is anyone else doing this?
If you are, or have in previous pregnancies, do you feel it's had a positive impact?

I'm having trouble washing my hair on a regular basis right now, so I need to hear if you ladies think Kegels are worth the effort.

Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Kegels

• Options
    babycaps said:

Sure am!!! They are MEGA important. I have an alarm set 6x per day. I don't end up doing 60, but I probably do about 35-50 long holds/day. It's a nice distraction during long meetings!
    They help with urine retention post divert, help strengthen inner core and pelvic muscles and will help with delivery and recovery!

This is beyond impressive. I'll have to try the alarm/scheduling trick, too.
  • Options
    Yes I am! They helped tremendously during labor and during the pushing phase... They also help with incontinence after birth as well... I even went as far as getting these... (Not the same brand, but similar)
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do and have since my 1st pregnancy. I don't piss my pants when I sneeze or laugh so I say they are helping!
  • Options
    I keep forgetting this time around, but did them loads last pregnancy and they were a HUGE help.  I must start setting reminders too.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I only remember to do keels when someone mentions them.

~*DUE MARCH 5th 2014*~

• Options

Yes I am! They helped tremendously during labor and during the pushing phase... They also help with incontinence after birth as well... I even went as far as getting these... (Not the same brand, but similar)

This. I have something just like these that allow me to work up to the correct weight. It's like weights for your vag.
  • Options
    Wow, I'm a FTM and I would have never thought about it.  It definitely makes sense though!

Wife & Full Time Step Mama to an incredible boy! =)
    First Date.. March 11, 2010  Engaged...August 09, 2011   Married...August 11, 2012    BFP...July 21, 2013
    E.D.D... March 31, 2014

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've been doing them since before I got pregnant! I think they're very important to do all the time.
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    OMG DO KEGELS!!!

With DS1 I read some stupid article that claimed not to overdo it with kegels as too many can create incontinence.

So I went from doing them occasionally to rarely.  And now I pee when I sneeze.  I was having to carry around an extra pair of panties to work for a while.  And forget keeping my pants dry as I'm hurling over the toilet from morning sickness.

Sorry for TMI, but you don't want to be me!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for the link!  I am checking them out now!

ETA:  Did you use these during pregnancy, or only before or after?  I'm definitely intrigued.
  • Options
    Wow!  Thanks for all the responses, ladies.  I am truly a convert.  I was dragging my feet, but will no more. :)
  • Options
    I hate hate hate kegels. I hate the feel of them for some reason. But considering that its hard to not pee my pants while sneezing now that I'm pregnant with number 2 I suppose I should recommend them.
    I hate them though.
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • Options
    I hate the feeling of them too! They weird me out for some reason.
  • Options
    NickiechanNickiechan member
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for the link!  I am checking them out now!

ETA:  Did you use these during pregnancy, or only before or after?  I'm definitely intrigued.
    I using them now... however I don't wear them to work because uhm... they make me a bit 'needy' after awhile if you know what I mean... ;)  I also wore them when I got home postpartum... after the 6 week healing time.
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Options
    I'm on mobile and not seeing a link if there is one? Help?
  • Options
    mrsdahamm said:
    I'm on mobile and not seeing a link if there is one? Help?
    https://shop.paxbaby.com/smart-balls/
    Nickie

• Options
    I'm likely a complete idiot, but is there a guide / link anyone would recommend on how to do them?  Sorry, TMI but I don't really get how to hold them for a minute - I feel like it's always a quick contraction.
    September '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance!   

BFP 11/18/14 ~ EDD 7/26/15 ~ MC 11/27/14

image            image

• Options
    BabiesFTW said:
    I hate hate hate kegels. I hate the feel of them for some reason. But considering that its hard to not pee my pants while sneezing now that I'm pregnant with number 2 I suppose I should recommend them. I hate them though.
    I get a really weird feeling when I do them too, and then I read in Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy that they can make you feel anxious, which is a good description!  I still do them, I just hate it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm likely a complete idiot, but is there a guide / link anyone would recommend on how to do them?  Sorry, TMI but I don't really get how to hold them for a minute - I feel like it's always a quick contraction.
    https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kegel-exercises/WO00119

How to do Kegel exercises

It takes diligence to identify your pelvic floor muscles and learn how to contract and relax them. Here are some pointers:

• Find the right muscles. To identify your pelvic floor muscles, stop urination in midstream. If you succeed, you've got the right muscles.
    • Perfect your technique. Once you've identified your pelvic floor muscles, empty your bladder and lie on your back. Tighten your pelvic floor muscles, hold the contraction for five seconds, and then relax for five seconds. Try it four or five times in a row. Work up to keeping the muscles contracted for 10 seconds at a time, relaxing for 10 seconds between contractions.
    • Maintain your focus. For best results, focus on tightening only your pelvic floor muscles. Be careful not to flex the muscles in your abdomen, thighs or buttocks. Avoid holding your breath. Instead, breathe freely during the exercises.
    • Repeat 3 times a day. Aim for at least three sets of 10 repetitions a day.

Don't make a habit of using Kegel exercises to start and stop your urine stream. Doing Kegel exercises while emptying your bladder can actually weaken the muscles, as well as lead to incomplete emptying of the bladder — which increases the risk of a urinary tract infection.

Nickie

• Options
    @Nickiechan - Thank you!  Also, just so you know from now - I plan to bother you a lot as we get further along about babywearing ...
    September '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance!   

BFP 11/18/14 ~ EDD 7/26/15 ~ MC 11/27/14

image            image

• Options
    NickiechanNickiechan member
    edited August 2013
    It isn't a bother at all... just let me know! :)
    Nickie

• Options

Sorry, TMI but I don't really get how to hold them for a minute - I feel like it's always a quick contraction.

This.
  • Options
    @Nickiechan is a Kegel master! Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"