Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Falling & Hitting Head

A couple nights ago, DS fell pretty hard and hit the back of his head on our tile kitchen floor.  It was probably the worst fall he's had - it's scared me and he cried pretty hard but did seem to recover fairly quickly.   I watched him for the the below symptoms (from the mayo clinic website) that night and into the next day and he has never displayed any of them:

Listlessness, tiring easily Irritability, crankiness Change in eating or sleeping patterns Lack of interest in favorite toys Loss of balance, unsteady walking Vomiting Confusion or disorientation Slurred speech or other changes in speech Vision or eye disturbances, including pupils that are bigger than normal (dilated pupils) or pupils of unequal sizes Changes in breathing pattern Lasting or recurrent dizziness Blood or fluid discharge from the nose or ears Large head bumps or bruises on areas other than the forehead, especially in infants under 12 months of age  (DS had a small red mark on the back of his head, but not a bump or bruise)

I never called his doctor, but am still feeling like maybe I should have since it was a hard fall.   When have you/would you call the doctor (or go the ER) after your LO falls?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Falling & Hitting Head

• Options
    aeh72aeh72 member
    Sorry for the long paragraph with symptoms.  It did not format correctly and I can't get back in to edit.
  • Options
    If it was a couple of nights ago and he's still running around and breathing he's fine.  The concerns with falls are usually concussions.  And the concerns with concussions are fairly immediate.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    fryratfryrat member
    Nope, I would not call at this point. I had one like this recently. The dog got too excited and knocked DD flat on her back, hitting her head on the concrete floor in the garage. We just watched her and she was fine. I worked with paramedics at one point in my life, and they said that you need to worry when a baby is quiet after something where you would expect them to be upset (like that fall or bleeding), or if they are inconsolable.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aeh72aeh72 member
    Thanks, everyone! I think this particular fall traumatized me more than DS so it's reassuring to hear that it did not sound like a scenario in which you would have called the doctor either.
  • Options
    DS has fallen a couple of times, even hitting his heads twice. But I think the first time it happens sometimes we overreact and just think our child is having some of those awful symptoms of something really hurting them. Usually they are just fine, our babies are tough! 

At the beginning of last month DS climbed onto a chair and tipped it over, face planting and getting an awful bloody nose...it still makes me feel bad thinking about it. But he is just fine (: hope this helps make you feel a little better about the accident (:
    image image image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS has fallen a couple of times, even hitting his heads twice. But I think the first time it happens sometimes we overreact and just think our child is having some of those awful symptoms of something really hurting them. Usually they are just fine, our babies are tough! 

At the beginning of last month DS climbed onto a chair and tipped it over, face planting and getting an awful bloody nose...it still makes me feel bad thinking about it. But he is just fine (: hope this helps make you feel a little better about the accident (:

Thanks! It does!  :-)
  • Options
    Girl, my son, I swear needs a helmet. There isn't a day that goes by he doesn't hit his head on something; the coffee table, the floor, outside...he's so clumsy. There was one time recently where he tripped on the carpet and slammed his temple into the corner of the recliner footrest when it was up and he sliced his head open. He didn't have any symptoms but he couldn't walk straight. Turns out, he had an equilibrium issue that cleared up a few days later, he just got his balance knocked out of whack. :) YAY for boys!!
  • Options
    Girl, my son, I swear needs a helmet. There isn't a day that goes by he doesn't hit his head on something; the coffee table, the floor, outside...he's so clumsy. There was one time recently where he tripped on the carpet and slammed his temple into the corner of the recliner footrest when it was up and he sliced his head open. He didn't have any symptoms but he couldn't walk straight. Turns out, he had an equilibrium issue that cleared up a few days later, he just got his balance knocked out of whack. :) YAY for boys!!
    No kidding about boys! When I told people I was having a boy, everyone with a boy went into a story about all the "injuries" they had sustained  - climbing to the top of a built-in wall bookshelf and falling, knocking out two front teeth on a bunk bed, one friend said she was certain daycare was going to call child services on them because of all their son's black eyes and bruises. Plus my own husband cracked his head open as a kid pretending he was Bruce Jenner (this tells you how old we are!) and my brother split his head open running in new shoes on our hard wood floors and got hit by a car riding his bike (his fault, not the driver's, and thankfully he only broke his leg).  DS is only 16 months old.  I fear what is to come.
  • Options
    aeh72aeh72 member
    edited August 2013

In my experience, my daughters are no less adventurous or accident prone than. I hate the "boys will be boys," kind of comments. 

totally wasn't trying to imply that! it was interesting, though, that no moms of girls shared similar stories with me. But, no doubt, there are many girls out there just as adventurous and fearless as my little guy, if not more so!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"