C-sections
Options

Unplanned csection and sadness

Hi,
I wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone had a similar experience they could share.
My plan was to have a water birth with my midwife. I didn't want an epidural, but was open to the idea if things got bad.

My water broke at 38 weeks and 5 days. My midwife told me that pretty much forced my hand. I could wait up to 24 hours for my body to go into labor, but after 24 hours my risk of infection would go up, so she would want to induce. We ended up waiting 12 hours, no labor whatsoever; no contractions, dilation, etc.
At 8pm we started very light protocol. At 8:30 my contractions were strong enough that the midwife turned off the pitocin. My body successfully took over and continued to contract.
I labored for 3 hours naturally, up to 7cm. But my body was doing these crazy multi-peaked contractions, I was essentially having 3 minute long contractions with 20-60 seconds rest in between. I tried every management technique: sterile water, labor unh in the tub, moved on to IV pain killers, but they did nothing. When I was climbing the side of the bed, screaming in pain, my husband suggested I get the epidural. I got the epidural at 5am and by 7am I had dilated the last 3cm and baby had slid down into the birth canal.
I was ready to start pushing and they excitedly told me what a strong pusher I was, and that just watching, they could see my baby's head move down each time. I would definitely have a baby by lunch.
5 hours of pushing later and baby hadn't moved any further. My midwife brought in the dr on call and she informed me that my choices were to try the vacuum or go right to csection. We did 5 tries with the vacuum and she still wasn't moving. The dr couldn't figure out why she couldn't come further out. Never through any of the 24 hours of labor did baby have ANY decelerations. They weren't worried about her, other than the fact that my water had been broken for 36 hours.
My husband met me in the OR. I felt some extra pain besides the expected tugging, so I got 2 extra shots of some drug. The result was I was essentially high for the birth of my daughter. They showed her to me, I was told I cried twice and then went back to babbling about other things. My husband held her for a second and was able to hand her off right before he passed out from exhaustion. I still got to hold her as they wheeled me back to my room, but I was not all there.

After they showed me the huge bruise on her arm, it was clear that her arm had been stuck behind my pubic bone and she COULD NOT have come out naturally.
I know that I tried everything I could have done, but I'm still having a lot of trouble with my birth experience. Mostly the fact that I was drugged and missed that initial bonding with her, even though I had her by my side the entire 3 days we spent in the hospital afterwards.
I am going in to meet with my midwife about what I'm feeling, but I'm wondering if anyone else had similar experiences and how you dealt with them?
TIA,
Rosie
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Unplanned csection and sadness

• Options
    My c section was unplanned too... I dilated all the way to 10. I got an epidural because I don't like pain. Tried to push and nothing happened. I pushed for about and hour and nothing. Her heart rate went up so that is what made my Dr push the c section. I had a really hard time cuz she was stuck in my pelvic cavity. Finally they got her out and I was high too. I didn't get the skin to skin like I wanted and I didn't get to attempt to breastfeed right away. I felt robbed. I felt like my babies birth was taken from me. I had a really hard time accepting it afterwards. Later I ended up getting an infection so I am battling that as we speak. I am 3 weeks pp. As for dealing with it I guess I just kind of accepted it after everything else that has been going on but I blamed myself for days afterward so I feel what you are going through. It does get better as long as you know you did everything you could
  • Options
    I had a very similar experience... I too was very upset for a couple of months afterwards.  Then I realized as I'm realizing on this journey of being a parent and life, nothing can really be planned.  You gave it everything you had and that has to be good enough at some point.  You have to move forward and celebrate the present and stop dwelling on the past.  You have a beautiful baby.... savor what you have, instead of dwelling on what you do not.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a similar experience. My water broke - ended up starting Pitocin because I did not progress on my own - labored for 17 hours - pushed for two more but baby could not move so ended up with a c-section. My doctor told me afterwards that the only other way he would've come out is if she'd broken my pelvis. Like you, I was not able to hold my LO in the OR - I didn't get him until a few hours later in the recovery room because I was shaking and vomiting uncontrollably.

This was definitely not the birth experience I had planned for or wanted, but in the end I have a healthy baby boy and I know that is what truly matters. I guess I've "moved on" in that it is not bothering me any more. Although I am getting very antsy to get back to my normal active life and this recovery thing stinks!
    Anniversary

• Options
    I had to have emergency C/S under general anesthesia. Husband was not even allowed in the room. I grieved for a few months when I thought about it, husband was very supportive. In the end I realized that people put such emphasis on the "birth plan" and it makes you feel like you failed if you could not do it. I am not a failure, I grew a life and have a beautiful daughter who could care less how she got her. I was also able to BF for a year plus. It will get better it just takes time.
  • Options
    I found out at 29 weeks my baby was breech and I tried every trick I could find to turn him but nothing worked. I went into labor suddenly at 36 weeks and had a c section. I was lucky I didn't have to wait and suffer for hours in labor as you did. It is a loss and you have to grieve it. Just as with any other type of loss, you will go through stages. I was very sad the first few months even though I tried to tell myself what everyone else says; be happy your baby is healthy and all that and of course you are. You will come to a place of acceptance when you are ready. I am now expecting my third and am totally ok with the thought of another c section. Congratulations on your baby!
  • Options
    I was upset about my C-section as well. I wanted to go completely natural. Changed pretty quick. I was having frequent, very painful contractions but not dilating (still stuck at about 2 cm). The contractions escalated to bad back labor. They gave me a low dose of picotin and an epidural, and after many, many hours I finally dilated. However, after my water broke at around six centimeters, my baby started having a lot of decelerations. They were the less dangerous kind, however, so we continued. I got to 10 cm, started pushing, but couldn't get her to come out.

They had me try to rotate but when I moved she decelerated a ton. It turns out she was stuck sunny-side up and couldn't tuck her chin to get past my pubic bone. During pushing, my blood pressure suddenly plummeted (I think it was 80/50). Since she seemed distressed, my blood pressure was low, and I had been in labor for 34 hours, they took me to do a C-section. I hated being separated from her. She stayed apart from me even longer that I would have expected because she had jaundice and coombs.

I was really upset, nothing went as planned at all. I feel a lot better now. I think spending lots of time with my daughter and being able to breastfeed her really helped me overcome my sadness over the way she was born. That, and constantly reminding myself that we were both in distress and it needed to be done.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It takes time to process and cope with what happens when you have an unexpected c-section. Mine was almost 3 years ago. It took probably 6 months for me to get to the point where I wasn't upset by it every time I though about it. I wanted a natural childbirth, and ended up being induced at 41 wks. Dilated to 6, pitocin contractions caused DS's heartbeat to fluctuate too much, they stopped the pitocin drip and I wasn't contracting at all on my own. Since my water had been broken, there were no options - c-section it was. DS's cord was around his neck twice - c-section was probably for the best. DH was supportive of my feelings but never failed to remind me that DS and I were healthy and safe, and that was the most important outcome of childbirth - a healthy and safe child and mother. Ultimately that is how I've come to see it, my c-section allowed my son and I to come through the experience safely. Do I want to go through it again? No, and I'm hoping for VBAC this time around, but I know this time that if it doesn't happen, it's okay. It's not my ideal and it's not what I want, but those really are more emotional needs than physical and when it comes to childbirth the physical is by far the most important - a healthy safe mom and baby are all that really matter. The emotional scars heal just as the physical ones do. You'll always carry them with you, but the pain of them fades with time. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member
    edited August 2013

Yes.

I wanted a natural birth, but also was open to an epidural, depending upon how things went. I went into labor naturally at 40w5d. My water broke when I was only 2cm. Luckily, I had my son in Germany, so they let me go longer than they would have in the states. 12 hours or so into active labor, they wanted to do a c section because I was progressing so slowly. I fought it, but another five hours later he was showing signs of distress (tachycardia, I got a fever). So it was game over, then.

I was very sad. He may be my only child, so I knew that was my one shot. The WORST thing anyone said/can say is "at least you have a healthy baby, that is all that matters!". That just sweeps your sadness under the rug, IMO.

Allow yourself to grieve a bit, it too me months to get past it. I still can't look at newborns being handed to their moms, or placed on their chest, I cry and get upset I missed out on that.

Remind yourself you did all you could. Sometimes it just goes to hell, and it's not your fault.

(hugs)

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    I havent finished reading all of these posts yet but I had an emergency C section and have been extremely emotional.  I went into the hospital 8 cm dialated and fully effaced.  Went through labor naturally then  when I was pushing his heartrate was dropping.  I dont know if the C section or the 4 days in the hospital with too many nurses and doctors giving me different advice or my trouble with breastfeeding but I have been crying alot and just feeling crummy.  I just want to feel normal again and just spend time with my baby without being an emotional wreck.
  • Options
    That's exactly how I felt. I never could get breastfeeding down and my incision has an infection I just can't seem to shake to I am just concentrating on healing now. But I too cried a lot for those first two weeks
  • Options
    I can say I know how you feel. My baby had a bad decel and they didn't even have time to give me a spinal. I was put under and missed it all, DH missed it all too. I still cry when I think about it, I too wanted it all natural and defiantly didn't get delt those cards. I missed her first cry it was hours later before I got to hold her cause I was so insanely high. It was not my birth plan even close.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your stories too. It helps to hear other people who have gone through the same thing and understand what's going on.
    My husband knows I'm sad and feels bad. He keeps asking what he can do to help. He's trying so hard to understand and is so supportive, but just doesn't understand the feeling.
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-section with my twins. I really wanted an unmedicated vaginal birth like with my son. I am thankful that my babies were healthy, but I felt very cheated out of my birth experience. My babies are almost 4 months old now, and I am just now getting to the point where I feel like I am getting over that feeling.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm feeling cheated too. Overwhelming sadness. We didn't get to even bond with him until nearly 10 hours after since I had the emergency hysterectomy due to bleeding. I will never understand why this happened. I labored just fine on my own until 9 cm. No meds or anything. It was after they broke my water when all hell broke loose.
  • Options
    HI. I don't usually post on this board but I wanted to tell you what you feel is normal. I had a unplanned c-section. I was 41 weeks and showing no signs of labor when the doctor found I had low amniotic fluid.  They tried inducing for 28 hours.  The pitocin had to be stopped and restarted three times because of lo dropping heart beat (Although, I never really progressed).  It was the scariest day of my life.  When they finally said c-section I was so worried about lo I didn't care.  I had gone into this wanting natural and med free, though I wasn't completely opposed to the epi. I cried so much the first three weeks. I felt so cheated and had such a hard time breastfeeding.  I was in a ton of pain and I couldn't care for my baby without help at first.  Honestly, I still feel like I lost the first 10 days with him and it makes me a little sad but I will tell you it gets so much better.  My little guy is 3 1/2 months now and it doesn't really bother me anymore. I am proud of my scar.  I will say that I started feeling better about it when breastfeeding became easier.  I struggled with it in the beginning and thought that since I didn't get skin to skin or immediate latching that I would never be able to do it right.  
    I use my c-section as an excuse for holding my baby while he sleeps now.  I couldn't do it in the beginning so I cuddle now.  Give yourself time.  You are only beginning to heal.

• Options
    Reading all of these stories has made me feel better. I did everything possible to give myself the best chance of a natural birth- Bradley Classes, Midwife, tons of research.

But because of decreased fetal movement I went in for weekly NSTs. After the did an U/S the doctor said that there was low fluid and reduced blood flow to the baby, who was measuring in the 90th percentile (they were exact with the weight) and said that I had a high chance of stillbirth and if I wanted to avoid an emergancy c section I needed to be induced that day.

I was completely ignored by the doctors in the hospital because they kept getting busy. They gave me prostiglanden gel because they said it could be done more often than the cervidil. But then they got busy and for 3 days gave me doses ever 15-16 hours rather than the 6hours break they told me they were going to do. I had no change in my cervix at all. They did one cervidil on the 4th day and it didn't change anything either. After a horrible encounter with a doctor that was pure evil and checked me and begun stretching my cervix while I was screaming and begging him to stop (he didn't) I was physically and emotionally drained.

The next morning they were about to set me up to pitocin when I asked if I could talk to the OB on call. I told her I was worried about trying the pitocin because my baby's heartrate was already a bit erratic. She told me it the most likely senario was a c section, because of his position, size, and the fact my body was not in any way prepared to go into labor. But they wanted to try the pitocin anyway because there was a small chance that it would work.

DH, my MW, and I all talked about it and I decided that it would be better for him to be born via c section than try to force a vaginal birth that wasn't working after 4 days of induction.

Because I never fully got into active labor I feel like I missed out on something that most Mom's experience, and talk about. I know I made the right decision to have a c section because it was safest for the baby, I still have that 'What if'

I thought that it would have been easier to accept if I had known that there was no other choice, but from the sounds of it a c section is hard for most woman to get over regardless of the situation.

I agree with PP, whenever I see a show on tv where someone has a baby and they put the baby on the mom's chest right away and it's this big magical moment I bawl. I was shaking so bad when they handed me Max I didn't want to hold him.
  • Options
    Geeze, sorry about the novel.
  • Options
    I don't think I feel cheated by having a C-section, maybe because I knew it was going to be a pretty good chance I would have to have one anyway because of my genetics. Unbeknownst to me my water was broke for over 24 hours before it really broke (I just had a small high puncture so no gushes or anything). Finally went in, was in very active labor for 4 hours with multi-peaked contractions with only 10-20 second recovery. Taylor started showing distress, and I was running a very high fever (we were  both contracting the dreaded 24+hour water break infection). I was higher than a kite, shaking uncontrollably, and can't remember only but a few details. Taylor wasn't crying, he was struggling to breathe. All I got was a quick 5 second glance before they wisked him off to the NICU (we were 40w2d so he was full term.) I didn't get to hold him or bond with him until nearly 20 hours later. He spent a week in the NICU with infection and a collapsed lung, until we finally got to take him home. I was sad, but grateful that I had such a great team of doctors and nurses. It really is nothing more now than just a story about how that little boy got to come home to me and his daddy. Honestly, I would do it all over again.
  • Options
    I had an unplanned cs as well, but to me the best birth experience is the way that gets baby out safely and keeps mama healthy. Don't be so hard on yourself, you and baby are doing well and that is all that matters.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"