Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Caregiver Advice Needed Please

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

My MIL has been watching LO since I went back to work (at eight weeks). We've had our ups and downs regarding the way I want things done, but she has become a lot better about listening to me. Over the weekend, she was admitted to the CCU at our hospital, because of her heart racing. She told us that she didn't think she'd be able to watch LO anymore after talking to one of the doctors. This doctor was not a heart doctor and he wasn't her regular doctor. Of course, I started panicking and was very emotional over the whole thing. We ended up finding someone that me and my husband both like. She was recommended by two people that I work with and she's only going to charge us half of what we've been paying my MIL. I was finally feeling some relief about the whole situation, then my MIL called tonight. She said she's made a mistake and that she wants to keep watching LO. She was discharged two days ago and had an appointment today. Her doctor says everything is fine. They just changed one of her medicines and now she's back to normal.

We are completely torn about what to do. We don't want to make my MIL mad at us, but we're worried about her having an episode while watching LO. On the other hand, the other woman is a stranger to us and we would have to get LO up every morning at 5am, so we could take her to the woman's house and get to work on time. We've got a lot of thinking to do over the next couple of days. I guess I'm just wanting some input from other people. We really have no idea which way to go.

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Caregiver Advice Needed Please

• That's tough. My MIL, watches my LO, too, but in my case I would be happy to have any excuse to have someone else! Could you delay your decision, start with the new person for a trial period and tell MIL you just want to ensure she's recovered? 

• I would just tell MIL you are sorry, but you have made other arrangements for full time care. Then plan a monthly/weekly dinner or something so she still gets time with your LO.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Loading the player...
  • Nicb13 said:

Could you split the time between both caregivers? Let you MIL know you don't want to overload her but you don't want to take your LO away completely.

Try out the new person and see how it goes.

This.
  • I like the first comment, tell your MIL that you want her to have a small break and let your new caregiver have a trial period. If it works out, is more cost effective and doesn't cause stress since youre not worried about MIL health...then plan a weekly dinner or weekend hang time. But her health, your child's care and your piece-of-mind have to trump feelings sometimes.
  • Since you already are set with the new woman, I'd go with her, and tell MIL that you want her to focus on her health for now and that you can get together at other times, not when she's the caregiver.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"