January 2013 Moms
Options

pumping

Okay, so I've only ever pumped a handful of times and I notice that I get practically nothing and I hear this sound as if my pump is sucking in a lot of air and maybe the suction isn't so good? I have an Ameda Purely Yours and I'm not sure if that's a normal sound or if it's really not doing a good job. It's every time the little plastic cup thing at the top releases.

I can usually get some milk if I hand express after using the electric for a few minutes but I mean, I'm only getting drops with my electric, maybe an ounce with the manual pump and I can usually keep going if I hand express but that's a huge PITA. I'm really kicking myself because we're going out tomorrow night... and so far I've only been able to get like 1.5 ounces to give to DD. Here's hoping tomorrow morning goes a little better so I can drink some margaritas.

Re: pumping

• Options
    The sounds like your suction may not be great. Another thing I would check is the flanges. My left breast is bigger than my right and I had to get a bigger size flange to get a more efficient pump. Also check the other pump parts. Sometimes there can be slight tears in the valves that effect your output.

Also, not sure what time of day you pump but I know your supply is highest in the morning so that may help you get more per pump.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First, are you pumping for a missed session or as an extra? If its extra, then an ounce is pretty good. You need to keep pumping to create the demand in order to signal your body to make more. Also, since you said you don't pump often, you probably need to give your body time to adjust to responding to your pump. Hope you have a good am session so you can have your margarita!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm pumping only for one meal tomorrow! I'm hoping I can get 2 ounces tomorrow and I'll be good. I've usually been able to get 2-3 ounces anytime I try to pump but I guess it's just been too long.
  • Options
    Are you getting any suction?  When I get that noise there's typically not a lot of suction and if I take the membranes off and put them back on it'll work properly.  You should still feel a good bit of suction even if it's an off-time and you don't get a lot of milk. If it sounds like air is escaping then there's a break in the system somewhere.  Start at one end and check all of the connections and pieces to make sure everything is connected properly.

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Try pumping after she nurses first thing in the morning. I normally get the most milk then. I've also read that your body makes the most milk between 3-5a so if your LO still has a MOTN feeding try pumping then. I am sure you'ed prefer to just go back to bed but its only one night. Good luck!
  • Options
    I have the same pump and am actually trying to get them to replace it. Ive replaced ALL the parts and no matter what I do there's air coming in somewhere.

My first thought is to replace the valves. They wear out FAST.
    Also, sometimes if I hold down the top white cap at a certain place (you'll have to push down at various places around it) sometimes I can get it to stop.

Shes going to call me back on Friday to troubleshoot before they'll replace it. I kind of hope I'll just get my money back and I can get something else but thats probably wishful thinking.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah, I've only used it maybe 15 times but it's definitely messed up! I think I managed to get just enough that if I feed her right before we leave, she has some solids and a few ounces of milk right before bed she'll be set!
  • Options
    I just got off the phone w ameda and they're sending me a new pump, ac adapter nd all new parts. With a return shipping label to send back the old one! It was very easy!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"