Third-Party Reproduction
Options

I have a calendar, and musings

Well, the slow march is not very slow on this end of things, it seems.  I was approved as a donor (now that did take a long time) but had a match within like a week.  The IM and I happen to be on very similar cycles, but we're still on BC for what looks like just over a full cycle--I start Saturday.  The retrieval is tentatively scheduled for mid-September.

I still don't know much about them--I knew they were a couple, now I know husband and wife.  I know that the wife and I keep calling the same people.  I talked to the people delivering my meds and they mentioned that they just spoke with her and got payment, and I had a sudden, unexpected urge to be like, "Really?  What was she like?"  I was reserved on my application (as far as how much contact I'd agree to up front), and since they matched with me, I know they may be the same, and I probably will not learn much about them.  Which I think is fine...I want to know, but but what if we met and we really didn't click, or I said something really stupid?  Better to move forward this way.

I have been feeling guilty about accepting money for this.  It is no small chunk of change, and it feels...exploitative. Don't get me wrong--I definitely want to cover my expenses (parking in this area is ridonkulous), but this payment is way in excess of that.  And I don't need it.  I mean, it is no small amount of money and it's not like it wouldn't be felt by me, but I am doing just fine without it now and I'll do just fine without it later.  Isn't IF bad enough without having to pay through the nose for it?  I see you guys mention the cost of this kind of thing, and a big part of that is me.  I am considering asking whether I can waive the fee--don't even know yet if they'll let me, but I want to be sure before I ask.  And I really want to hear your thoughts on this.

Re: I have a calendar, and musings

• Options
    I think that's great that you were matched so quickly! Congrats! 

I'm not going to lie - using third party reproduction is EXPENSIVE. As someone using a gestational surrogate, I know that firsthand. If you feel guilty about taking money or don't want the fee, then tell them that. Personally, if I was on the receiving end and the donor told me she didn't want money outside of expenses, I would be so eternally grateful; I'm not sure if there are words to express how I feel. Once we found our surrogate, I couldn't fathom (and still can't) why someone would want to do this for me..and to have someone do it free of charge is just, well, I can't put into words what it would mean to me. 

TTC since April 2010
    BFP #1 – March 2011, missed m/c April 2011
    BFP #2 – October 2011, m/c November 2011
    Surprise BFP #3 – December 2011, diagnosed as cornual, terminated January 2012
    BFP #4 – June 2012, m/c July 2012
    Diagnosed with bicornuate ute and MTHR gene mutation
    BFP #5 – October 2012, missed m/c November 2012
    BFP #6 – January 2013, m/c March 2013
    No longer TTC. Diagnosis: Hostile ute. Heartbroken and bitter. Pursuing surrogacy.
    June 2013 - Carrier found! Could this really happen?!
    ~All AL always welcome~

• Options
    So I think that's so great what you are doing and the fee is so deserved by you doing such a great thing. Fees depend on so many different situations and levels. You can have a say in the fee I believe. Our donor agreed to a $5,000 fee. And we did a shared cycle with another couple so we had to pay 2,500 to her and I thought that was so reasonable. We also had to pay a 3,000 finders fee to our RE which I thought was a little silly considering she was a paitent and they didnt have to search too far to find her but I think that includes alot of the testing she needs done to be approved to be a donor in the first place.
    Don't feel guilty what so ever because you put your body thru alot to produce eggs.
    And again thank you so much for doing this kind act! It really is so generous and a selfless act compensation that is given is so deserved.
    Me 34 and DH 39 married in aug. 2002
    Did 5 round of clomid 2010 =BFN
     High levels of NK CELLS DX sept.2012 DOR:# 0.02 
    IVF #1 May 2012  ER 4, EF 2, ET 2 =BFN
    MINI IVF Oct.2012  Cancelled 10-27-12
    Ivf #3 Antagonist Protocol April 2013
    Shared cycle..Donor cycled in July Got 12 eggs 9 fertilized and 8 frozen!!
    DE FET #1 Sept. 3rd 2013 FIRST BFP EVER 5dp5dt
    miscarried Sept 24th at 5 weeks 5 days
    Etopic  D&C and hysterscopy Nov 5 2013
    dx with pre genetic blood clotting dec 2013
    FET #2 Jan 31st  2014 
    Miscarried for a second time again at 5 weeks 5 days
    Currently fostering to adopt an amazing little 1 year old boy..P.J!
    FET#3  is Oct 29th 2014
    BFN on fet #3
    Last and FINAL FET coming JAN 28th 2015
    Everyone Welcome

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I should mention that this is assuming insurance doesn't cover it--I have no problem with the insurance paying, this is after all for a medical procedure.  But a donor is OOP, right?  Does anybody have insurance that covers a donor?
  • Options
    I think sometimes the donor's insurance covers at least the meds for the ER, but it seems to really depend.

I also agree that while its sweet of you to consider you IPs expense, the reality is that you are providing an incredibly specialized and unique "service" and it's reasonable to expect compensation for that- just like lactation consultants get paid and a lot of other people who help create families.

I won't lie, I would be thrilled if DH and I could be like the rest of our siblings and sneeze and get pregnant- but we're not. There's a lot of things wrong with IF treatment and what is and isn't paid for, but in general I think donor fees are the most reasonable of them all. Now, for my insurance company to tell me that the fact that my husband's body is UNABLE TO PRODUCE SPERM does not constitute a "medical problem" .... Yeah I take issue with that ;)
  • Options
    I agree with PPs that it is very sweet of you to consider not accepting the money but that you are providing a service and should be compensated for it. Not to mention it's a service that has an impact on your body!

If you continue feeling guilt over the money I would suggest using it for a good cause. If you plan on having children (you don't currently have any, right?) you could set up a college fund for them. I like the idea that your helping someone else have children will in turn benefit your future children. Kind of a full circle thing. :)

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• Options
    I agree with PPs that it is very sweet of you to consider not accepting the money but that you are providing a service and should be compensated for it. Not to mention it's a service that has an impact on your body!

If you continue feeling guilt over the money I would suggest using it for a good cause. If you plan on having children (you don't currently have any, right?) you could set up a college fund for them. I like the idea that your helping someone else have children will in turn benefit your future children. Kind of a full circle thing. :)
    I think that DoublePortion has a great idea here!!!  We were fortunate that our insurance paid for the IVF part of things (we have an IVF insurance mandate in our state), but the donor's fees, agency fees and lawyers was definitely a strain on our finances.  We are forever grateful to our donor for the gift that she has provided,
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    You deserve every penny.  We love our donor who we barley know and I will never regret paying for her time and efforts even if this cycle is unsuccessful.  Don't feel guilty.  

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You deserve every penny.  We love our donor who we barley know and I will never regret paying for her time and efforts even if this cycle is unsuccessful.  Don't feel guilty.  

Ditto. This is such a wonderful thing that you are doing!

April 2013 DE IVF= BFN

September 2013 DE IVF (Fingers Crossed) = BFFFN! again...

October 2013 FET of our last 2 = Beta Hellzz for 6-7 Weeks. M/C

• Options
    You are all so sweet.  I will let you know what I decide.  I really appreciate your perspective. 
  • Options

I also think it's great that you are doing this. I know my insurance company covers a donor to use one of my IVF cycles. NJ is pretty good with the insurance coverage. 
    Remember that there are also risks involved for being a donor. Anyone willing to go through this procedure knowing that safety isn't a 100% guarantee deserves every penny. 
    ***WARNING***

TTC Since 12/2008;  DH: 32, Azoospermia     me: 33, DX during IVF #4: Low AMH (Normal FSH) / SER due 
    to IVF Meds (causing failure to fertilize) Recent DX: Hashimoto's, Lupus Anticoagulant, White Blood Cell Disorder 
    High ANA, ATA, & APA, PAI-1 Heterozygous= blood clotting disorder; connective tissue disorder 
    IVF w/ ICSI #1 2/2011     IVF w/ ICSI #2 5/2011    IVF w/ ICSI #3 12/2012   *New RE* IVF w/ ICSI #4  5/2013
    IVF w/ ICSI #5 8/2013 (Natural Cycle- No drugs)- One follicle->one blast. CCS normal. FET 9/10- 6BB blast. m/c @ 5w
    IUI #1 12/23- BFN  IUI #2 Cancelled (ovulated during AF)  Prep:CoQ10 (300 mg); DHEA (25 mg); Melatonin (3 mg), Folgard 2.2, Metformin 500 2x, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Aspirin 81mg w/ calcium, B12,  Vit. D 4000 & Prenate Elite Daily; Cabergoline 1/2 pill 2x week-  Cycling: Estrace Priming; Prednisone 10mg, Lovenox 40mg 2x,  Femera & Menopur   
    IUI #2.1 6/30 & 7/1. 1st Beta: 90 (7/15); 2nd Beta: 226 (7/17); 3rd Beta: 766   EDD: 3/23/2015

**ALL WELCOME**                                    My Blog 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"