Health & Exercise

Starting from scratch.

Hello! Unfit mama here!

I used to play Volleyball and I was quite the power walker... Ten years ago. Now, at fours months PP, I just turned 30, haven't been in a gym for 10 years, haven't ran for 5 years due to my knees hating me, and my cardio is... Well, non-existant.

I am looking at my options in terms of activities and group classes (zumba, pilates or yoga), but I want to exercise on my own as well, and I want to ease into it.

Does anyone have a DVD or class recommendation for a beginner like me? I've heard of 30 day shred, PX 90 or something like that, amongst others. My ultimate goal isn't weight loss as much as muscle gain over time, although I would love to lose around 60lbs, over a year or so stretch... Is that realistic? I don't even know... I'm that clueless.

Food wise, I'm good. I kept my GD diet going since diabetes decided to hang around, tweeked it per doctor's advice, and am now in control of my blood sugar levels through diet only.

It's really the exercise part I'm clueless on. It's been sooo long, and walking the dog isn't enough. I don't plan on becoming a fitness guru anytime soon, and bodybuilding really isn't my cup of tea. I want to build and tone lean muscle, lose a bit of the weight I put on over the last ten years, and overall be healthy enough to chase that baby around without huffing and puffing, when that time comes.

Sorry for the novel. Any additional information needed? TIA for the advice!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Starting from scratch.

• It's never too late to get started on any of those programs, and most of those are geared toward beginners. With that said, I've never been big on P90x or similar DVD programs because I workout at a gym and find that I'm most motivated there rather than at my home. If that works for you, do it!

I want to highlight the fact that lifting weights/resistance training is not the same as bodybuilding. Body building is HARD and it is VERY difficult to put on high volumes of muscle. It takes a lot of discipline and focus, and for those you see in the magazines, that is their LIFE. I lift weights 4 days a week for close to an hour at a time depending on the workout, and I am nowhere near bodybuilding status. I do, however, reap the benefits of having a great metabolism compared to when I didn't lift weights as part of my workout routine. I highly recommend talking with or using a personal trainer or someone who knows about the impact and physiological adaptations of a variety of resistance training exercises. Building a repertoire of exercises for your workouts is key to sustaining a life change. You may even find that once you really gain strength in your legs through resistance training, you'll have less pain when running or light jogging (obviously I don't know the reason for your knees "hating" you, but it has helped many people).

I highly recommend doing something you find enjoyable, no matter what it is. If it's a zumba class, do it. If it's a spin class, do it. You need to get into something that makes you happy if you want to sustain it. I wish you the VERY best of luck and I hope you do well with whatever you decide to do!

• Thank you for taking the time to answer!

I tore and stretched ligaments repeatedly in my left knee. Bad falls on the court mainly, and as a youngster there was nothing I loved more than climbing up a tree only to jump down "to my death" as my Mom would say. I can't tell you how many times I rocked the clutches. I can walk, but running or even light jogging is out of the equation for now. Hopefully, it gets better over time and training.

As for bodybuilding, that is exactly what I meant: not my forte. I have friends who do this and the dedication it takes scares me. I admire them, but man I'd never be able to do it.

Thanks again for your advice! C'est noté!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"