Success after IF
Options

How do you shop for baby clothes?

queenbonequeenbone member
edited July 2013 in Success after IF
I feel a little spoiled and silly as I type this, but how do you stock up on baby clothes? Most of our friends have sons and we are among the last of our friends to breed so we got so many hand-me-down clothes I hardly had to buy anything. Plus my son was the first grandchild on both sides so the g-ma's went crazy shopping for clothes.

I am pretty set for clothes for newborn -3 mo that are pretty gender neutral, but I don't have any girl hand-me-downs so I feel like I need to start stocking up. When I have bought new clothes for the boys I buy for the next year when things are on sale at the end of the season. With girl clothes though I'm a little concerned that everything is mostly outfits rather than mix and match like boy clothes. Also, I seriously hate pink, so I'm limiting myself in the available clothes. And I'm tempted to buy all dresses because they are cute, but I know that's not practical. Girl shorts look so frickin uncomfortable though... why does a 1 yr old need to wear daisy dukes?!

Basically I'm as hopeless shopping for my daughter as I am shopping for myself. Help me out, ladies!
Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: How do you shop for baby clothes?

• Options
    TJ1979TJ1979 member
    I'm pretty hopeless too. I did lots of onesies with neutral pants, shorts, and skirts so it's still mix and match. Dresses are only good before and after crawling. During the crawling stage, dresses get in the way and trip them. A lot of E's old dresses though she can still wear as tops with pants. This is my first so I'm not skilled enough with sizes to be able to buy a year in advance so I just try to use coupons and sales.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm not much help since most of my clothes are hand me downs too. Can you check out Craig's list or ask around to see if someone else needs to get rid of baby girl stuff?

For infant girls, I think the one piece outfits are the easiest, like rompers that snap on the bottom or onesies and pants. Ditto PP, dresses work better once they start walking. And when the dresses get short you can pair them w leggings.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am lucky to have a friend with twin daughters so we do get some hand me downs. I have also been buying ahead a little at Carter's. They always have good sales and deals going on. I try to stick to outfits that are easy and comfortable - cotton onesies, onesie dresses, one piece rompers, etc. I don't know of it makes sense, but when I buy ahead I try to think of the female equivalent to outfits that were easy and comfy for DS at each stage. For the fall/winter I have mostly gotten pants/leggings and shirts/onesies or one piece sleep and play type outfits. Next summer the girls should be walking so I got cotton dresses and one piece shorts rompers. I know I will use these all the time and I can supplement with a little variety later on.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member
    Definitely get pants that you can mix and match with onesies and tops.  We have several that look like jeans, but are actually cotton, and they are super comfortable.  We don't really have any shorts for Adalyn, but she has rompers and onsies with built in tutus/etc, that also work great as one pieces.  Definitely recommend staying away from dresses during the crawling phase, since it is just hard and frustrating for them. 

You can generally find good deals at consignment stores, but for new things, I make sure to hit the deals and just buy for the size that she is in or the next size up.  I don't buy too far in the future, since I'm sure there will be another sale before then.  I get a lot of stuff, including gifts, during Gymboree's Red Balloon Sale and get Gymbucks.  I then go back when the Gymbucks are valid and buy stuff that is on sale or clearance. 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I pretty much only shop for DD at GAP. It's pretty easy to avoid pink there. I usually do buy outfits though. I use my GAPcard and get 40% off the entire store 1-2x a month. I also get a lot of GAP rewards.

I agree with the other posters that dresses are bad for crawlers. We skipped them last year but DD lives in them this summer. She is tall and thin so even with a cloth diaper, she has trouble keeping daisy dukes on :)

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    I pretty much only shop for DD at GAP. It's pretty easy to avoid pink there. I usually do buy outfits though. I use my GAPcard and get 40% off the entire store 1-2x a month. I also get a lot of GAP rewards. I agree with the other posters that dresses are bad for crawlers. We skipped them last year but DD lives in them this summer. She is tall and thin so even with a cloth diaper, she has trouble keeping daisy dukes on :)
    This exactly what I was worried about CD babies have big bottoms. Target had some shorts on sale and I though those won't cover anything!
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    TJ1979TJ1979 member
    queenbone said:

I pretty much only shop for DD at GAP. It's pretty easy to avoid pink there. I usually do buy outfits though. I use my GAPcard and get 40% off the entire store 1-2x a month. I also get a lot of GAP rewards.

I agree with the other posters that dresses are bad for crawlers. We skipped them last year but DD lives in them this summer. She is tall and thin so even with a cloth diaper, she has trouble keeping daisy dukes on :)

This exactly what I was worried about CD babies have big bottoms. Target had some shorts on sale and I though those won't cover anything!

Haha. E is so tiny, even with her CD fluff butt, she is only in 9 month daisy dukes. I'm pretty sure the CDs are the only think that keeps her pants up. Girl ain't got no booty!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think all moms should try tumsies - www.tumsie.com. They are these special onesies that looks like t-shirts and come in the cutest prints. I love getting them for my DD because they are so comfortable she can sleep and play with them but cute enough for me to take her out in.

This is one of the ones my DD has: 

- Michelle 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"