Birthday Parties
Options

1 year old birthday theme?

I'm sure this gets posted about 1,000 times a day, but does anyone have any ideas for a 1 year olds birthday party theme? I've thought of Sesame Street, The Hungry Caterpillar but am having trouble with creativity! Any ideas are appreciated in advance.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

Re: 1 year old birthday theme?

• Options
    salt78salt78 member

Hard to say. I don't know what kinds of things you and your child like. Personally I don't think you really need a specific theme when they are so young. I'm saving all the really themey things for when she's older and can choose what kind of party she wants for herself.

You could just choose something that is pretty broad (jungle, music, nautical, balloons, etc) and have a color scheme to go with it. That way you won't drive yourself completely insane with a ton of little details.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagesalt78:

Hard to say. I don't know what kinds of things you and your child like. Personally I don't think you really need a specific theme when they are so young. I'm saving all the really themey things for when she's older and can choose what kind of party she wants for herself.

You could just choose something that is pretty broad (jungle, music, nautical, balloons, etc) and have a color scheme to go with it. That way you won't drive yourself completely insane with a ton of little details.

I think you nailed it when you said "I don't know what types of things your child likes". I don't either, he's too young to really "like" anything. I think I'll stick to a broad theme and save something specific for another year. Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBluenoser4ever:
    We are doing a rainbow theme. Easy to find decorations and Pinterest had some cute pics of rainbow fruit and veggie trays.

Cute idea!

• Options

For my son's first we did "Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails" playing up on the fact he was a boy and we were outside at a park.

However, someone on my BMB had a party that was "Ball themed" which my son would have adored.  He's been  really into balls since he was 6 months old.

Someone else on this board is doing a balloon themed first birthday party, and my son would have been really happy with that too.  His favorite things at that age where balls, balloons, bubbles, and books.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We're doing a barnyard/farm theme for DS's party. I had considered a sock monkey theme since I love sock monkeys, but the food DH wanted to serve (pulled pork sandwiches) seemed more fitting with a farm theme.

Pinterest is great for theme ideas, though many are way over the top for a one year old. 

• Options

We did baby dinosaurs ("The big One" partyware) since DS's favorite bath toys were little dinos

I found a lot of ideas online 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

We did a vintage circus theme, just because I wanted to and it was cute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did a hot air balloon theme, a luau, and "you are my sunshine" for 1st b-days.
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    my DS's favorite color is red, so we are doing "red, hot and ready for one"
    Visit The Nest! IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My DD wasn't really into a lot of things at one, so we did more of a "color" theme, pink and red.

Link to pro pics here: https://www.hautemommyblog.com/2012/07/first-birthday-party-pink-red-low.html 

• Options
    Sock monkey is the theme. There are so many cool ideas on Pinterest!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    aeh72aeh72 member

imageMelRC117:
    We are doing a baseball theme and celebrating his "Rookie Year". I'm sticking with red, white, and blue colors for table cloths, plates, napkins, etc

I love this! Wish I had thought of this for DS's first birthday because we're big baseball fans! So cute!

OP - we didn't have a theme really, per se. I just got some 'I'm One!" plates and napkins at Party City that had stars on them, and then decorated around the same colors, happened upon a coordinating star cake at Target, and got a bunch of mylar star-shaped balloons.  Um, so I guess our theme was "stars." :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD is a December baby so we did a Winter ONEderland party and incorporated my little snowflake in there. Baby blues and silvers and glitter were the main theme
    Husband and Wife 2010
    DD 12.2010
    TTC #2 Since Aug 2012
    DX PCOS 7.25.13
    Started Metformin 7.2013
    DH SA results 6.19.14 - Too few normal sperm
    8.13.14 - SURPRISE BFP - EDD 3/30/14 Based on LMP
    MMC 9/24/14, D&C 9/25/14 13w3d, Measured at 7w4d

3.14.15 BFP #3 - EDD 11/11/15 based on LMP
  • Options

imageMaggieF516:
    Sock monkey is the theme. There are so many cool ideas on Pinterest!

Us too!  Pinterest is awesome for ideas

Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    We are doing a polka dot party for DD's first birthday.  (My first birthday was also polka dots, so I am trying to start a tradition...) I fingure it is easy to find things with dots on them and making a cake with dots will be a breeze for a non-artist like myself!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We are doing a bumble bee theme and got lots of ideas from Pinterest! Happy party planning!
  • Options
    I've done what feels like a hundred theme parties now with both of my boys, but at that age it's really more for you then them so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Give Pinterest a search, no matter what your theme I'm sure you'll find some inspiration for decorations and party snacks. I like to put together a custom party invitation from Tiny Prints to go with whatever the theme is. I believe a little goes a long way, and you can throw together a pretty impressive theme party for next to nothing. You just have to know where to look for inspiration!
  • Options
    We are doing The Very Hungry Caterpillar for DS first birthday. Your menu is basically planned out for you. Check Pinterest for ideas.
  • Options
    @MaggieF516, someone recently posted on the 9-12 months board their pics of their sock monkey first birthday. It was really cute!

• Options
    aeh72 said:

imageMelRC117:
    We are doing a baseball theme and celebrating his "Rookie Year". I'm sticking with red, white, and blue colors for table cloths, plates, napkins, etc

I love this! Wish I had thought of this for DS's first birthday because we're big baseball fans! So cute!

OP - we didn't have a theme really, per se. I just got some 'I'm One!" plates and napkins at Party City that had stars on them, and then decorated around the same colors, happened upon a coordinating star cake at Target, and got a bunch of mylar star-shaped balloons.  Um, so I guess our theme was "stars." :-)

I like the "Rookie Year" idea as well. DS loves balls, maybe we'll do this!

• Options
    DD will be one in September and we are doing a mermaid/under the sea party. Lots of stuff on pinterest for inspiration. Could easily be adapted for a boy or girl.
  • Options
    Start pinning! We are doing a fall seasonal approach. It has sort of morphed into brown w/white polka dots and pumpkins. I have made all the decorations including two banners, pumpkin lanterns, party hat...all ideas from Pinterest. It's addicting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"