Eco-Friendly Family

Glucose drink for gestational diabetes

Is there an alternative to the glucose test for gestational diabetes? I don't want to drink that GMO, red dye drink if it isn't absolutely necessary... I heard about a fasting blood test and one where you can drink grape juice (I'd buy organic). I wanted to see if anyone has done either. Thanks!

Re: Glucose drink for gestational diabetes

• It's not that bad. Tastes like a melted Popsicle.. Maybe you could eat a stack if pancakes instead? But maybe you should ask the Dr first.. ;)
  • There are different ways to do it but it really all depends on your provider and lab on how they're willing to do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • The only alternative I've heard of is a jelly bean test, but very few labs will allow it due to it being hard to control conditions. If they do alt testing, they'll probably require you use what they have on hand rather than let you bring in something of your own. The glucose drink is very concentrated and has to be taken within 5min so that would probably affect being able to sub in a regular juice. I don't know about a strict fasting test. I had to fast before all of my GD tests. A fasting only test doesn't really make sense to me, since what they're checking is how your body handles glucose.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • As I stated above, there are alternatives and to give you an idea of what they might be for you this is a good link to start your search. https://tinyurl.com/m3rzudn If you're willing, testing your blood sugar over a week or two would probably be the best route since its likely even more accurate than the test done in the lab.
  • It depends on what your lab is able to do. Here they won't do alternatives because they can't control it. You have to drink the whole thing in front of the tech. Next pregnancy I'll refuse. I would offer to test myself if my Dr was concerned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My midwives will let you eat a breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast and milk. As a vegetarian, it's the glucose drink for me! I have also heard some providers will allow you to eat a king-sized chocolate bar! I wish!
  • Our midwives offered orange juice as an alternative.  I opted for the glucose drink b/c it is much better controlled and I am not worried about the drink.  We had the choice of lemon-lime or orange flavored.  It wasn't bad. 

• The drink I had was clear and tasted like flat Sprite. Maybe this is an option instead of the orange type one?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My midwives will let you eat a breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast and milk. As a vegetarian, it's the glucose drink for me! I have also heard some providers will allow you to eat a king-sized chocolate bar! I wish!
    Similarly to this, my HB midwife had me test my own blood sugar at home with a kit a diabetic would use to test their levels.  MW advised me to take my blood sugar before eating breakfast.  Then she recommended pancakes with maple syrup and a glass of OJ.  Following breakfast (can't remember how long) I took  my blood sugar again.   Super easy! :D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor's office had a clear lemon-lime flavored option, along with artificially colored red and orange.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Mine was clear, tasted like Sprite. It's really no big deal. It's ONE drink.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"