May 2013 Moms

Taking temperature

Why can't I do this?! I got SO frustrated this morning after trying 7 or 8 times. My poor boys hiney. 
Any tips? I tried with him on his belly b/c I can get a better grip on his tush, but he was way too wiggly. I've tried with him on his back in the past and had no luck. I'm so afraid the thermometer is going to go too far in when he's squirming so much. 

Re: Taking temperature

• kmcd23kmcd23 member
    I have a Vicks rectal thermometer that you physically can't push too far because of the shape. Maybe that would ease your fears?
  • Yikes! I don't use a rectal thermometer at all. Our pediatrician reccomended the Exergen Temporal Thermometer, he said it's just about as good a "core" temp, which is what a rectal temp is. We used it through DD1 and it's been great and I've used it a couple of times for DD2. It's great and it works fast and you can do it while they are sleeping without moving them at all!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I take it under the armpit and add a degree.
  • Yikes! I don't use a rectal thermometer at all. Our pediatrician reccomended the Exergen Temporal Thermometer, he said it's just about as good a "core" temp, which is what a rectal temp is. We used it through DD1 and it's been great and I've used it a couple of times for DD2. It's great and it works fast and you can do it while they are sleeping without moving them at all!
    I have this one as well. It's very easy and works really well. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You are using some Vaseline on the tip, right? I have the Vicks rectal thermometer too and I think it works pretty well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    We have this, too, and it's awesome! It's also what they use at our pedi's office.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do under the armpit with a digital thermometer- just make sure it's in the right spot and hold their arm down- easiest to do while feeding. I don't add a degree, but we do randomly take her temp with our thermometer when she is healthy and normal so we know what her normal is on that particular thermometer so we can really know for sure if she has a temperature or not. 
    She is here! 5-29-13

• KashyKashy member
    TradeMama said:
    I take it under the armpit and add a degree.
    This is what we do.
    Augustus David - Born 5/08/13

my read shelf:
    April's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • motangmotang member
    We use a temporal thermometer. It also has an armpit setting so if I'm unsure i take it again there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • be888be888 member
    We use a rectal thermometer with Vaseline. I barely put it in, never had a problem putting it too far.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• HZ2012HZ2012 member
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I do use Vaseline :) I think I'm going to try the Vicks one.
  • HZ2012 said:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I do use Vaseline :) I think I'm going to try the Vicks one.

I figured you were, just thought I'd throw it out there! Hope your little guy feels better soon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • HZ2012 said:

I figured you were, just thought I'd throw it out there! Hope your little guy feels better soon.

Thank you :) He's fine, just had a little bit of a cough, and I knew the pedi would ask if he had a fever, which is why I was trying to do it this am. I knew he didn't bc he was cool, but wanted to be certain. So all that for nothing
  • I'm curious about those who use Vaseline because our Vicks thermometer says to use a lubricant but NOT petroleum jelly, which is what Vaseline is, right?
  • Trish625 said:
    I'm curious about those who use Vaseline because our Vicks thermometer says to use a lubricant but NOT petroleum jelly, which is what Vaseline is, right?  

Maybe it has to do with the brand of the thermometer.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• I use baby oil when I take dd's temp rectally, she doesn't usually squirm alot so I'm lucky I guess :)

• TradeMama said:

We do this too.

this
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Kashy said:

TradeMama said:

This is what we do.

Ditto here. Every nurse or doctor has told me this is the way to do it, I hadn't even heard about doing a rectal one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also do it under the armpit. 

When she's older, we'll use our Braun ear thermometer. It works wonderfully.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"