Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Hands free pumping

As I get closer to the arrival of LO#3, I realize just how much I want to breastfeed. I have failed with my first 2: DD received breast milk for 3mos via pumping and DS received breast milk for a few weeks via pumping. I have unfavorable nipples for putting baby to my breast so I have to resort to pumping. I had an okay pump but it has since broken. I with 2 young children, I didn't think it would even be possible to BF this one. But I long for that bond and want to give baby my free milk.

So now I'm looking into seeing what my insurance will cover for a pump, but I must have a hands free pump. I've found a Medela that's about $380 and it seems decent, but I still have to buy a bustier to make it completely hands free.

My question is: can I use a bustier with just a double electric breast pump? One that doesn't explicitly say "hands free"? I found a bustier at target that sys it fits most manufacturers electric breast pumps, which makes me wonder if I could get a cheaper pump that isn't labeled as "hands free".

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions that might help?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: Hands free pumping

• I got a Medela PISA through my insurance. I just cut holes in an old sports bra where my nipples are and attach the flanges through the holes. Completely hands free! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have an older Medela PISA and have a bustier and a pumping camisole. Both work great and are hands-free.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have the Simple Wishes (I think that is what it is called) pumping bra and it's not made for any specific pump.  I think it would work for all of them.

• For breastfeeding, have you tried a nipple shield? It helps for people who have breasts that make it difficult for the baby to latch onto. We had tons of trouble latching and now he is almost 9 weeks and with the nipple shield he is going strong! (Note, some people discourage long term use of the shield bc it slows down flow but our pedi told us it was fine as long as he was gaining enough weight. He was doing fine, so I have stuck with what works). Also, I second the simple wishes hands free bra. I got it recently and it has been a lifesaver! Good luck!

• For breastfeeding, have you tried a nipple shield? It helps for people who have breasts that make it difficult for the baby to latch onto. We had tons of trouble latching and now he is almost 9 weeks and with the nipple shield he is going strong! (Note, some people discourage long term use of the shield bc it slows down flow but our pedi told us it was fine as long as he was gaining enough weight. He was doing fine, so I have stuck with what works). Also, I second the simple wishes hands free bra. I got it recently and it has been a lifesaver! Good luck!
    Depending on what you mean by unfavorable nipples, you may want to try shells instead of a shield. I have flat nipples and used shells with both my sons - you wear them before nursing/in  between and not during so you never need to wean off of them since they aren't worn while BFing. After a few weeks, both of them got efficient enough on their own that I didn't need the shells at all. Good luck!
  • I have a medela and love it. My insurance paid for it too.

New Mommy!!!

• I got a Medela PISA through my insurance. I just cut holes in an old sports bra where my nipples are and attach the flanges through the holes. Completely hands free! 
    This exactly. I love my pumping bra, it works great and I didn't have to pay a dime! I am totally hands-free while jumping with my Medela PISA, but I'd have to stay close to the electrical outlet. Wen I was pumping at work, I could sit at my desk and grade papers, eat lunch, or work on my computer.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Ditto pp. any double electric can be made hands free and there are homemade and inexpensive ways to make a pumping bra.

Can you see an LC? Maybe they would have some tips / suggestions for latching?

Me too, only I have an Ameda. My insurance paid for it, but there was only a limited selection to choose from.

• You can start using breast shells while you are still pregnant to get your nipples in proper form.
  • Obamacare made insurance companies offer breastpumps recently.  I had already purchased my Medela PISA when I found out, but I went ahead and sent in a claim for an Ameda Purely Yours also.  I bought the medela bustier at target and its compatible with the Medela pumps (obviously, hehe) and it works with the ameda parts too.  I thought about just cutting holes in a sports bra, but decided not to because I didn't want to worry with taking off all my clothes to put it on over my head.  I can simply pull up my shirt, unpop my nursing bra, put on the bustier and get down to business.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"