1st Trimester
Options

HPV and pregnant - advice please!

Hi ladies, I have been battling HPV for about two years now. Luckily, my PAPs have come back normal but the HPV is still present. My OBGYN recently told me I have HPV 16 to be exact (high risk) and that he will be doing a colposcopy in my 10th week to make sure the cells on my cervix look ok. He said he won't do a biopsy because of the pregnancy but that something called a "brush biopsy" could be done if needed. I freaked out when he told me it was HPV 16. I knew it was high risk but I was never told it was 16. I also got scared when the doctor told me that it could get worse during pregnancy. Has anyone else been through this? What has your experience been? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: HPV and pregnant - advice please!

• Options
    I had a colposcopy 1 week before I found out I was pregnant. HPV hasn't been an issue since. Good luck!

• Options
    I had a colposcopy and biopsy done last Wednesday. I was about 12&1/2 weeks.  They only did the biopsy because my doctor didn't like what she saw.  I got the results this Monday and it came back low grade so they're just going to do a repeat pap in 4 months.  I was told that even if the results weren't favorable that they would just keep an eye on everything and nothing would be done until after the pregnancy anyways. I'm not in the medical profession of course, but they'll probably just keep a close eye on it. I hope everything works out for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    HPV is all too common. I have friends and family with it, just not myself. I'm sorry you have it, much support to you. I googled it and it looks like you don't have to change much and it really doesn't affect baby. From what I read.
    Pregnant with #3, after thee, three's complete!!
  • Options
    In April, a week after my 2nd miscarriage, I received call from the dr.'s office telling me that my pap came back abnormal. I've been struggling with abnormal paps/hpv for years. I had a LEEP procedure done in June and the results were CIN III with unclear margins. At my follow-up in July, my cervix looked "healthy". I'm scheduled for a follow up pap, colposcopy, and Endo-Cervical sample in October. We just found out that we are pregnant again (6 weeks) and I'm scared because of the possibility of rapid cell changes for the worse and the possibility of another miscarriage. One thing my doctor did tell me, however, was that if I'm pregnant during my October visit, she'll only do a pap and colposcopy, but not the Endo-Cervical sample (the brush). You might want to ask your doctor about the risk of the brush portion of the exam. 
  • Options
    I had a colposcopy and cryo therapy done less than a year before conceiving my first daughter. Everything turned out fine, no complications. You must have faith. I know this isn't the same exact situation but a med student made an insensitive comment about how "she hopes it doesn't mess anything up" at my first OB visit. Coincidentally, she had been interning at my general Dr office when I was going through the procedures. Turns out, everything was fine.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I'll post an update when I meet with my OBGYN for the colposcopy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"