Illinois Babies

Harmony/meternit21 test in Chicago area

Hi I am 5 weeks pregnant and 35 years old. Haven't had my first appointment yet. I am researching the prenatal genetic tests. My doctor is in lake forest in northchicagoland. I am not sure if they will offer me the maternit21 or harmony testing because the northwestern hospital here is not that big. I was wondering what are my options. Does anyone know where I can get these tests? If my doctor refuses to order them, what will be my options? Will I have to hunt for another doctor? Thanks for your help

Re: Harmony/meternit21 test in Chicago area

• I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. Since you are 35, that's considered advanced maternal age and your doctor will most likely offer you those screenings or give you a referral to have them done. Again, given your age, they should be covered by your insurance, no problem. Hang in there until your first appointment and ask about genetic testing at that point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks. I was last pregnant in 2010 and I was offered amino and cvs, but not these tests. Is it common practice now to include these tests in genetic counseling? I am just worried because I would want genetic testing but want to avoid invasive testing at all costs
  • Loading the player...
  • nortonmol said:
    I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. Since you are 35, that's considered advanced maternal age and your doctor will most likely offer you those screenings or give you a referral to have them done. Again, given your age, they should be covered by your insurance, no problem. Hang in there until your first appointment and ask about genetic testing at that point.
    Just being AMA doesn't necessarily mean those tests are covered.  My insurance didn't cover them.

My doctor mentioned screening at the first or 2nd appointment,  I did the NT scan with an MFM & then opted for the MaterniT21 b/c I was too dehydrated to get good measurements for the NT scan.   The out of pocket cost for the test was billed as $1800+ dollars.  However, the MFM office told me this would be the case- and to just call and say I was told the test would only be $235.   This is exactly what I did!   Had the NT scan worked, I probably wouldn't have had the MaterniT21.

TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had mine done at the Antenatal Center at Illinois Masonic. But (1) I'm 43, and (2) my insurance doesn't cover hardly anything. I'm still waiting on the bill for the test, which I had back in April, but insurance claims it's about $2000 - which they don't cover - I'm hoping that I can get a discount from Sequenom if that's the case.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
  • I'm 37 and am now at 16 weeks.  My doc reco'd a genetic doc to do the NT scan.  I believe the NT is covered under insurance, but based on our results we did another exam called the Verify.  They will go over with you, if you may need additional testing like the Harmony. 

I went to Dr. Pergament and he is located downtown and part of Northwestern Memorial.  I would start at the NT scan and then determine if you need the additional testing (IMO). 

Good luck to you.

• I had the verifi test which is a competitor test. My doctor did not routinely offer this test, but was happy to when I asked. His nurse called the company and they ordered a kit for me. He now offers it routinely to his AMA patients. Insurance did cover this test, the loophole was that it was considered out of network and thus I had a high deductible to meet. I opted to pay their OOP which was around 400.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"