C-sections

disability length?

When I had my last c-section (unplanned) my doc. wrote me off on disability for a total of 8 weeks. I just received my paperwork back from my OB this time and she only wrote me off for 6 weeks. When I called the office, they said it was up to the doctor to determine. I'm feeling confused, overwhelmed and like this might be the last hormonal straw I have. I was planning on 8 weeks off and have budgeted my short-term disability expectations and pay to be 8 weeks. I'm counting on my doctor to change the forms and she's generally very accomodating, but she is out of the office for the entire week so I won't get a call back until next week at best.

What has your experience been regarding amount of disability time for a c-section? I live in Michigan in case that matters. Thanks.

Re: disability length?

• I am in California. The disability office sent me a letter asking for the date of delivery and if I had a vaginal delivery or a c-section. They then extended it from 6 weeks to 8 weeks. I would call the disability department in your state and ask.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• EmR22EmR22 member
    As far as I was aware in Wisconsin it's automatic 6 for vaginal delivery and 8 for c section.
  • Loading the player...
  • jutimalajutimala member
    edited July 2013

With my first daughter, I had a c/s and at my 4 week appointment my doctor only put 6 weeks for me, instead of 8 since I was doing so well. I complained about it later to her and she said that is up to me weather I wanted to take the whole 8 weeks and I should have told her then and she would have changed it.

My doctors are pretty accommodating, they want to give you as much time as possible with your LO.

Lesson learned, with my last c/s I asked her before hand to put me off for 8 weeks and I checked the paper before I left the office.

Pinky 12/07 : Sparky 02/12 : Rocky 08/13 

• My doctor would give me as much time as I wanted. My short term disability policy only pays 6 weeks for maternity, whether vaginal delivery or c section. I tried to appeal for 8 weeks paid disability as my doc would not release me for work until then. It was denied. Basically, the insurance rep said I'd have to be quite ill (for instance. septic in the hospital from complications), to get any additional paid time over the 6 weeks. It sucks as most people I know with disability policies got 8 weeks paid.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"