Food Allergy

LO starting Kindergarten

I have a 5 year old that's severely allergic to peanuts. We found out at 18mos and have had one incident since. But, my biggest fear is sending him to Kindergarten. For most little ones (except those with an allergy or a sibling/cousin/friend with one) the idea of a severe allergy goes right over their heads, which scares me a little.

So, moms that have been through this, or even those that haven't, any suggestions or advice you can give me to ease my mind a little?

Re: LO starting Kindergarten

• My LO was in 4K last year. I talked extensively with the teacher about her allergies. The school has a plan in place and she was able to talk me through it. We then discussed how snacks would work in her room (what she could, could not have, if she could sit next to others having something, how and when they would wash hands in the classroom, how field trips worked, how the lunchroom works---they have a peanut free table). She encouraged me to bring extra approved snacks because even though everyone in her class was told about her allergies parents still brought homemade treats. It was scary, but she made it. I encourage you to talk to the school/teacher and find out how they handle allergies. I hope they can reassure you that they have policies and procedures in place.
  • I have already had 2 meetings with the principal and someone from the district office plus 2 meetings that involved the nurse.  I will have one more before school starts with the teacher.  I was insistent that my DS have his medication with him at all times rather than locked up in the nurse's office.  They were fine with it.  He will be wearing a "fanny pack" with an epi-pen and benadryl tabs in it and his teacher is well aware and willng to administer meds.  The bus driver on his route will also have to be willing to administer.  DS is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, milk and sesame.  I am a nervous wreck.
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"