Military Families

Birthing classes

Did anyone take any of the base offered birthing classes? Or did you research on your own? Was the class beneficial?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Birthing classes

• I took the class our base offered. Honestly a lot of it was good information I guess it just depends on the person whether you think you need to go or not. Even though I did my own research the class still helped out. As far as my class went we did a general overview of labor process and after care so if you are deciding on doing a specific type of birthing method see if they provide that as well or you will only get like I said a brief overview of each most likely. Hope this helps! 
     imageimageimageimage  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• I took the classes.  Scared the heck out of me but I think they made DH feel better and more involved.  Why not take them?  They're free.
  • Loading the player...
  • I took the class when I was pregnant with DS. Honestly, it was a waste of my time. It was mainly discussing the process, all of which I got from books and friends. The only useful part for me, was giving directions on how to get to L&D if I went into labor after hours.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I took the class but only went to two of the four scheduled meetings because I wasn't too fond of the nurse who ran it.  There was some good information but it wasn't something I felt like I couldn't have found out on my own.  I did, however, appreciate the labor and delivery tour I took. 
  • We took the classes with our first daughter. I found them informative and we were able to ask questions, etc. It was six weeks and two hours a week. It was enjoyable to the two of us but I guess it's all personal preference. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We probably will.  I'd like to take the breastfeeding class too.  As a first-time mom I honestly have no idea what to expect, and I think being walked through all of the steps of what I can expect (as well as what CAN happen) will ease my anxiety a little bit.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took the classes.  Scared the heck out of me but I think they made DH feel better and more involved.  Why not take them?  They're free.

Who did you go through to sign up for these free classes?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• The OB clinic has a nurse here who runs them.  At my previous duty station ACS ran them.  So I think it depends on where you're located.  Local hospitals also offer them.  I would ask at your next appointment or check out your medical facility's website.

I also did the breastfeeding class (somewhat useful but awkward going in uniform to talk about my boobs and seeing people's husbands in uniform there) and did the hospital tour.  I'm a FTM and have no clue what I'm doing!
  • I think it depends a lot on what type of birth experience you want. Med-free? Probably not worth your time and you'd be better off finding one on your own. Just wanting a general overview of the birth process and minimal coping mechanisms? Then they might be worth your time.
  • Speaking of med-free, I always assumed I would take any pain meds they were offering.  After those classes I've decided to go med-free.  It wasn't the direction they were pushing, but I came away with the impression that meds COULD prolong labor and/or lead to more intervention methods.  I know that's not always the case and who knows, maybe I'll cave, but all the information about meds and different intervention methods scared the heck out of me.  I'd rather be in agony for a few hours less than risk some of that other stuff and/or make it last longer.  So I guess the classes were helpful to me in that sense.
  • Our base offers a ton of classes too. We have breast feeding, first time parents, hospital tour, baby boot camp. Budgeting for baby, baby massage, and there are a couple others. i will be taking whatever i can. I am very interested in budgeting for baby, they give a "baby seabag"

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"