Cloth Diapering

Inserts/prefolds - lots of questions

OK, I'm trying to refresh my stash for #3.

I need to purchase inserts/prefolds for two separate purposes. I'd like your opinions on what is best bc I'm getting confused on all the options.

1) I have my pockets that I used for DS2. I'm replacing the elastic on my pockets and getting new inserts since the MF ones I have are probably near the end of their useful life. I'm looking at hemp, bamboo charcoal, 3 layer, 4 layer, 5 layer. The plan is for DS3 to be in these once he outgrows his NB stuff, through toddlerhood. DS2 is still in them now and he's 2. So what's best? What's most absorbent? What has the least stinky issues? Should I get a few of each? Or is one a clear winner? Do I need 5 layers, is 4 ok?

2) Last time I did fitteds and covers for my newborn. I'm going to do that again but I also wanted to try some prefolds as well. I'm getting 11 fitteds and 6 covers. How many prefolds do you think I need to supplement that. And same question, what is best? Hemp? Bamboo Charcoal? Does a newborn need 4 or 5 layers or are 3 layers adequate? There is also an elastic waist option on these prefolds, do I need that?

A
imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

Re: Inserts/prefolds - lots of questions

• I got 2 dozen osocozy size 1 infant prefolds.  They were fairly bulky at 7-9lbs, but they totally fit under a thirsties xs cover.  DD is now about 13/14lbs and now wears them not folded down at all.   I also use them as inserts in her OS pockets.  LOVE them for stuffing pockets!  Way better than microfiber!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love our GMD prefolds.  IMHO, you will have the least amount of stink issues with natural fibers such as 100% cotton or bamboo.  100% cotton is more absorbent than micro fleece.  I would have as many 24 diapers once LO outgrows the NB stage.  So get however many you need to add to what you already have.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"