February 2012 Moms
Options

Pacifier issues :(

How did you get your toddler off the pacifier? I try and my daughter freaks out emotionally and I can't take it. I cut one.. She played with for a while... But then bed time came and she lost it to the point I gave her another one. I caved :(.

Re: Pacifier issues :(

• Options
    Bears, congrats!!  Didn't realize you were pregnant!! 

As for the pacifier, I might not be the right person to ask this to.  My DS had his pacifier at night until 3.  At that point, we negotiated with him.  He got a bike for his 3rd birthday, but only big boys got bikes, and big boys don't have pacifiers, so he had to give it up in order to get his bike.  It was absolutely seamless at that point.  

We tried to wean him a couple times before then, but all hell broke loose.  My DD was born when DS was 2.5, and we knew that weaning him around the time DD was born was the wrong time for everyone, so we just waited.  In retrospect, I personally don't know what the big deal is with the paci.  He didn't walk around with it.  It didn't impact his speech at all.  He used it just to fall asleep and then usually spit it out.  For me, there were bigger fights to be fought.  I know I'm in the minority, but I wanted to share my experience for what it's worth.  We will likely do the same thing with DD.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Interesting.  Dylan only uses paci in crib and sometimes if he hurts himself, is sleepy or doesn't feel good he'll go get it out of the crib and use it.  I'm going to ask pedi about it at our next appt but I am pretty sure he told us before that it really isn't a big deal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

With my first, I took it away at 18 months.  I slowly started to wean him from it and he only had it at nap time and bed time.  Then at around 18 months, I had him throw them in the garbage and that was it.  It was hard.  Very hard.  He cried at nap time and bed time for a good 3-5 days.  "Nuky, nuky, nuky."  I was very tempted to give it to him because he was soooo sad and I felt like a terrible mom.  My husband even tried to convince me to give it to him.  But I stuck to my guns and I held strong.  That's the key.  It will be very hard for a few days but they do learn how to sleep without it.  You just have to keep telling yourself, they will be just fine.

| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Tracker</a>[url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/43ff7d]
    [img]http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/43ff7d/ttc.png[/img]
    [/
    RA with Sjogren's Syndrome. Risk of heart block in newborn. Age: DH and I are both 38.
    BFP #1: 11/25/2007, EDD 7/28/2008 - Missed m/c (blighted ovum) 12/6/2007 6w3d, D&C 1/3/2008.
    BFP #2: 4/2008 - Natural m/c at 6w.
    Met with RE in 5/2008 full cycle analysis and SA normal. Not considered high risk for blood clots but prescribed 1 baby aspirin a day precautionary during TTC and Progesterone suppositories during 1st trimester of pregnancy.
    BFP #3: 10/17/2008. EDD 6/23/2009,  Third time's the charm! Healthy baby boy born 6/27/2009 via emergency c-section.
    BFP #4: 6/14/2011. Healthy baby boy born 2/16/2012 via elective c-section.
    BFP #5: 1/15/2014. EDD 9/22/2014. 
    2/17/14:.We have a BABY!!! Heart rate 167 and measuring on time. 3/10/14 u/s #2 baby measuring perfectly at 12 weeks at heart rate of 166. NT u/s was normal. Maternit21 blood draw on 3/5/14. Results back on 3/19 - Normal.  It's a BOY!!!  4/10/14 at 16 weeks, 3 days discovered baby's heart stopped at 15 weeks, 6 days. D&C 4/11/14.  Pathology results were all normal.  New information on 8/11/14 - blood test revealed 1/3 of babys blood was in mine caused, most likely, by a tear in the placenta from extreme coughing.  Doctor believes this to be the cause of death.  Repeat D&C and Hysteroscopy scheduled for 8/19/14.  My Chart

• Options
    DS still uses one and probably will for awhile. He needs it, especially to sleep.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

Allison still has hers.  She gets it in the car and at bed/nap time.  Occasionally if she is really upset we will give it to her. 

Actually, when she goes to sleep we give her two.  One to hold and one to put in her mouth.  She rotates them and it saved us from getting up when she would lose one in the crib. 

Orignially we were going to try and break her at 12 months, then after vacation, then at 18 months.  I think we will wait until 2 though.  The car one will go away when we turn her around to forward facing.  We may pull the second one from bedtime soon.  Who knows...

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"