Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When do you start cereal

Im prob really early in asking this but my LO is 10 weeks and was curious when to begin cereal.  When did you start it?  When would you feed LO in the day?  I EBF, when would I do cereal and then nurse?  Does the cereal take place of a nursing session?  Thanks ladies.
TTC since May of 2011. DX PCOS July 2012 SA: morphology 1% motility 47%. U/S 8-20= 3 mature follicles: 56mil sperm after wash IUI #1 + 100mg of clomid + tigger=BFP 9/4 bloodwork hcg 156 progesterone 40BabyFetus Ticker My Blog

Re: When do you start cereal

• We skipped it with DD and will skip it again with DS.

Most pedi recommend waiting until 4 months to start.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Mayo Clinic and my pediatrician both suggested sometime in the 4th or 5th month if the child is showing signs of being ready. Like sitting while supported and being able to hold their head up steadily without help.

"No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • We started solids at 6 mos with DS1 and we'll do the same with DS2. We skipped cereal and started with fruits/veggies. Solids should not replace a nursing session. BM/formula are the most important things for the first year.
  • We started solids at 6 mos with DS1 and we'll do the same with DS2. We skipped cereal and started with fruits/veggies. Solids should not replace a nursing session. BM/formula are the most important things for the first year.

Exactly the same here.

• Thanks ladies.  2013 mommy, your time frame for giving food really helped.  I wasnt sure if you would give it along with the nursing session but and hour or so later sounds perfect.
    TTC since May of 2011. DX PCOS July 2012 SA: morphology 1% motility 47%. U/S 8-20= 3 mature follicles: 56mil sperm after wash IUI #1 + 100mg of clomid + tigger=BFP 9/4 bloodwork hcg 156 progesterone 40BabyFetus Ticker My Blog
  • I started dd1 at 6months- with dd2 I am going to start at 4- if she shows signs of being ready. My doc said 4 months is fine. In terms of what I will start with not sure yet- maybe fruit or sweet potatoes.
  • I gave rice cereal made with formula instead of water and home made applesauce with formula added for extra nutrition to my oldest at 3 months but she had acid reflux. With this one we will have to see when she starts showing signs of being ready. With DD1 I only gave her a few tiny spoonfuls before a 4oz. bottle to "wash it down" I used it more of a base than a meal and only once a day if that. Once she started finishing 6oz. of formula and still wanted more I would give more cereal and pureed fruit. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've done table food and NO cereal with my other two and will again.  Baby cereal is so empty of nutrition IMO; even the added iron isn't worth much.  I start my kids right off on table food at about 6 months (when they show the inclination around that time, DD was 5 3/4m while DS was closer to 7m).  Baby Led Weaning is what it's called these days though it's been around far longer than the baby food industry ;-)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Pediatricians usually recommend waiting four to six months to start foods like that.
  • We skipped cereal and oatmeal went straight to veggies which went great! I will do the same with dd. we gave sweet potatoes at 6 1/2 months
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We didnt start solids untill close to six months. I never did much rice cereal on its own. I did make my own baby food and freeze it. I found it was too watery at times so I did use rice cereal to thicken it. I wasnt sure if draining the extra liquid would effect its nutritional value or not?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My pedi said trying it around 4 months. She said its more of a practice food. You can make it really runny so he can slowly practice eating with a spoon. I personally don't feel comfortable putting it in a bottle. Since you can make it runny with BM I plan to use it to test his tummy and slowly make it a little thicker until its like puréed veggies. My grandma swore by this method and I'm one of her 22 grand kids who all came out great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"