March 2014 Moms

Talk to me about early ultrasounds

I posted recently about my doctor appointment and how I would not be getting an u/s until 18 weeks, but that I had told my doctor I wanted one sooner. The hospital called today to book me an early u/s for Friday. According to my math, I will be 6 weeks (but only 5w3d according to my doctor). Can anyone share what their early u/s experiences were like? What did you see? I'm wondering what I should expect to see (or not see yet).

Re: Talk to me about early ultrasounds

• I had one at 5w6d and could see the flicker of a heartbeat. Couldn't hear it - and they said it had LITERALLY just started beating.  I think they usually start around 6w
    1st FET 2/14/2013 Happy Valentines Day! - BFN
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    1046!!!!! - 2nd Beta: 2754!!!!!
    First u/s 7/11/2013 - TWINS!!! 120 and 124 heartbeats <3
    Second u/s
    7/29/2013 - wiggley babies! 178 and 184 heartbeats!
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

photo e8294769.jpgphoto 3a44b450.jpg
    imageimageimageimage"">image

Everett Alan James (3lbs8oz) and Eliana Lee (3lbs7oz) born 12/28/13 at 30w6d!
  • Your "Best" earliest ultrasound is usually closer to 8wks.  Not a lot to look at..  Looked like a bean? LOL

I won't have one till 18wks this time.
    mama to: addison (6) emery (3) oliver (brand new!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Drgn30Drgn30 member
    Mine was at 5w 1 day per my calculations and all they saw was a sac.  It's scary to think that it may never progress beyond that point.  You may want to consider pushing your u/s back a week or so. Even though I knew it was too early to see the baby, it still was scary.

BFP 7/16/13, EDD 3/27/14 - blighted ovum  - D&C 8/26/13
    Dx PCOS and Septate Uterus
    Septum Resection - 2/6/14
    brand new cuterus
    March 2014:   first medicated cycle + iui
    = BFP!
    Baby Drgn born December 3, 2014

• I had one at 6 weeks due to having recurrent miscarriages and there was a heartbeat and the baby just looked like a little bean. You can't quite make out any characteristics yet. Then I had another at at 7 weeks and it just looks a little bigger.

With my last miscarriage we had an ultrasound at 8 weeks with a heartbeat and we could actually see the arms and legs.
  • i just had one at 7w2d and could hear and see the heartbeat really clearly!
    VOTE on my Name List                              image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just had one today at 7w1d and it was pretty boring. Little flickering blob, haha. 
    BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • If you are only 5 week 3 days, I would reschedule for closer to 8 weeks.  I had a super early one at 5 weeks 2 days to rule out ectopic and all you could see was the gestational sac and the yolk sac.  So just one day later it is highly unlikely you'll see the baby. 

I was glad to have mine when I did to make sure everything was ok due to the bleeding I was having, but if I were having it done as an elective one I would definitely wait.  I didn't even get to see the screen because there was really nothing to see.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Drgn30 said:
    Mine was at 5w 1 day per my calculations and all they saw was a sac.  It's scary to think that it may never progress beyond that point.  You may want to consider pushing your u/s back a week or so. Even though I knew it was too early to see the baby, it still was scary.

I was wondering if it was too early too, and the lady booking my appointment said "well if we have to schedule another one for a month's time, we will". I didn't want to say no to this, especially when I pushed so hard in my doctor appointment. I figured it would make me feel better to at least see something instead of nothing.
  • I had my 6w1d u/s Monday, we were able to see and hear the heartbeat! It was amazing, and to be honest, I would wait a few more days if your doctor thinks you are only 5w. Even if I went into it knowing I may not be able to hear or see anything, I'd still be a little worried, and wouldn't have a complete peace of mind until I was able to. 
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• Drgn30 said:
    This is exactly how I feel.  I had mine at 5 weeks 2 days to rule out an ectopic, and I go for my next one next week at 7 weeks 6 days.  Even though I know they saw everything they should have seen for the time, without having already seen the baby, I am so nervous for my next one that nothing progressed.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Drgn30Drgn30 member
    stufie said:
    Drgn30 said:

I was wondering if it was too early too, and the lady booking my appointment said "well if we have to schedule another one for a month's time, we will". I didn't want to say no to this, especially when I pushed so hard in my doctor appointment. I figured it would make me feel better to at least see something instead of nothing.
    There's a chance you see nothing but a dark blob - and if that's the case, my advice is to remind yourself that it's just too early.  I tried to get reassurance from the doctor and even the u/s tech, but it was too early for them to say anything comforting.  They just told me to come back in a week and get my betas checked in the meantime.  It has really been messing with my head.

But it's a personal decision, and I completely understand wanting to see what's going on in there.

Oh, and they also told me that I have a bicornuate (heart-shaped) uterus which will increase my chances of preterm labor.  Good to know, but so so much stress has come from that damned u/s!

brand new cuterus
    = BFP!

• I had mine at 6wks, 1d.  We could see the heartbeat (not hear it), but the yolk sac was much bigger than the baby & you really couldn't make out anything.  Still cool to see, but it doesn't look like much, unfortunately.

September '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance!   

BFP 11/18/14 ~ EDD 7/26/15 ~ MC 11/27/14

image            image

• I had one just before 6 weeks and all they saw was the gestational sac and yolk sac. I was convinced you could see the flicker of the heart but the tech said it was flickering everywhere. I did that at an elective ultrasound place because it was our 2 year anniversary and I wanted to surprise my husband with an image. Buuuuuuut all it did was freak me the f*** out! Well, literally three days later I had an ultrasound with my actual doctor and I measured exactly here I should be based on ovulation and a heartbeat of 119. One week later I had 1 week 1 day growth and heart beat of 147. So, if you don't see anything but a sac, request a follow up for the next week - you should definitely see something at that point!!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Check out my blog: www.lifescravin.blogspot.com
  • We had out first on Monday and we were able to see the little arms and legs as well. As much as I would have loved that reassurance early on I'm glad we waited until just shy of 9 weeks.

imageimageimage

• With my first I had one at 6 weeks because of bleeding and all we could see was a sac. It scared the crap out of me. I just had one on Monday, 7 wks 5 days and saw the baby, flickering heart beat, but couldn't hear anything. I would personally wait.
  • I had one at 5w5d and just saw the yolk sac. I had another one yesterday at 8w and it looked like a little gummy bear. We saw the heart flicker, arm buds, and leg buds.
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Do they give you a picture at this early? Mine is scheduled for 7w4d and I am not sure if I'll get a souvenir.
  • My first u/s with DD1 was a little over 7w. We saw a flickering heartbeat and a little bean. With DD2, my first u/s was between 10-11w and we could see her moving her little arms and legs. Less like a bean, starting to look more like a baby.

I have an u/s tomorrow and should be around 7w. My dr wouldn't even schedule the u/s until my HCG was above a certain point where she was certain we'll see a heartbeat. 

Alhuffman - I did get pictures at our first u/s with my first two babies. It probably depends on the practice, but I think most will print one for you.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yay! I was hoping they would.
  • I'm about 7 weeks, have my first appt tomorrow, which will include an u/s... I'll let you know how it goes.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• If you are only 5 week 3 days, I would reschedule for closer to 8 weeks.  I had a super early one at 5 weeks 2 days to rule out ectopic and all you could see was the gestational sac and the yolk sac.  So just one day later it is highly unlikely you'll see the baby. 

I was glad to have mine when I did to make sure everything was ok due to the bleeding I was having, but if I were having it done as an elective one I would definitely wait.  I didn't even get to see the screen because there was really nothing to see.

Exactly had mine today and the tech said "There's really nothing to see" like 10 times. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for your input. I am a worry wart and figured that if I didn't see anything positive tomorrow, it might make me worry even more.

I called this morning and rescheduled for two weeks from now. That way I will be at least 7 weeks.

• I had my first u/s at 6w 3d and it looked like this tiny little peanut with a heartbeat, so cool! My second one was this week (8 weeks) and it was amazing to see how much the baby has changed. One thing the nurse told me at the first ultra sound was if we didn't see a heart beat, it's OK, not to worry, sometimes you don't see it right away. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If it makes you feel any better the doctors office I went to doesn't check for a heartbeat until 10 weeks and at the earliest 12 weeks for an u/s. Just have to be patient and pray that everything is going as planned. There's not much you can do anyways so no need to worry yourself.
  • My first is when I'll be 9 weeks 1 day...
  • I had my first at 5 weeks. They told me it was a blighted ovum (empty sac) and My hcg was too high to not see anything. Then I went in at 6 w 3d and still nothing. They wanted me to take medication to get rid of the empty sac. i requested another ultrasound before i did anything and At 7 w 3d there was a baby and hb. I would wait at least until 7 weeks.
  • I had my first us at exactly 5 weeks. but doc told me not to get upset if i didn't see anything and i totally understood.  however, we were able to see the sac with the yolk sac and beginning of fetal pole, no heartbeat yet.  and we saw my wonderful little fibroids too! i am going in for another us next week, since my doc is going out on leave and she wants to see her patients before then. i'll be 6 weeks 6 days and i'm hoping to see the heartbeat.
  • I had my first at 5 weeks. They told me it was a blighted ovum (empty sac) and My hcg was too high to not see anything. Then I went in at 6 w 3d and still nothing. They wanted me to take medication to get rid of the empty sac. i requested another ultrasound before i did anything and At 7 w 3d there was a baby and hb. I would wait at least until 7 weeks.

I can't believe they led you to believe that.  Good for you for taking charge!

brand new cuterus
    = BFP!

• Thank you everyone for your input. I am a worry wart and figured that if I didn't see anything positive tomorrow, it might make me worry even more.

I called this morning and rescheduled for two weeks from now. That way I will be at least 7 weeks.

You will be SOOOO happy you did this!!!

1st FET 2/14/2013 Happy Valentines Day! - BFN
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    1046!!!!! - 2nd Beta: 2754!!!!!
    First u/s 7/11/2013 - TWINS!!! 120 and 124 heartbeats <3
    Second u/s
    7/29/2013 - wiggley babies! 178 and 184 heartbeats!
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

photo e8294769.jpgphoto 3a44b450.jpg
    imageimageimageimage"">image

Everett Alan James (3lbs8oz) and Eliana Lee (3lbs7oz) born 12/28/13 at 30w6d!
    Oh my gosh! This scares me so much. Ultrasounds have come a long way, I'm sure, but I hate how we treat them like they are everything. They are not.

Thank God you insisted on another ultrasound.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a transvaginal ultrasound yesterday. We thought I was about 8 weeks but it turns out I was only 6 wks 4 days, but definitely saw the heartbeat. The transvaginal ultrasound was rather uncomfortable and I would not want to do it twice, so if I were you I'd wait til you can for sure see something. I'd hate to have had that done and not seen anything but the yolk sac.
  • I was quite upset. I had 2 different drs tell me to end it. But I knew that there was no way I could be this uncomfortable and not have a baby. We have to be advocates for our lil ones!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"