August 2012 Moms
Options

Leaving the hospital

I had to take my mom to the hospital today to have some tests done, see the doctor, etc. It was right by the maternity unit and a new mom came out with her little boy, ready to go home. How has it been nearly a year?! A year or even more for some!

I remember being absolutely terrified to go home and be on my own taking care of a newborn. Were you scared too? What were you thinking when you left the hospital?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Leaving the hospital

• Options
    Man, I was so ready to go home. I mean, I was nervous for sure, but I was DONE trying to get any sleep in a hospital bed. Once we got home I discovered the glory of bedsharing, and I was able to sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time. Going to the bathroom remained a horrible nightmare for damn near a month afterward, though. Ugh. 

AUGUST 2012 UNICORN

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was complete opposite! I had a c-section on a Wednesday morning at 2:00 a.m, and was on my way home by Friday night. I hate hate hate beig waited on and having nurses up my butt 24/7. I wanted to be home just me, DH, and DD soooooo badly! I begged them to let me go home and pretended I wasn't in pain so that they would let me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @aggiedaner I wish I had known enough to start with bed sharing. It's amazing, but I didn't try until a couple months in. And yes, the going to the bathroom part...just scary.

• Options
    I was ready too but did keep thinking a candid camera show was going to jump out from behind the curtain and say, "Surprise!!! You don't get to keep him! But for playing, we will send you home with a Baby Think-it-over consolation prize!"
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    I was soo ready to go home and just snuggle with my boys without interruption. I hate hospitals. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I was ready to leave.  I probably asked the nurse at least 20 times when I would be able to leave.  I was nervous but ready to have my newborn home and use all the cute items I had been organizing for months.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    I was ready to go home even though I felt horrible. As soon as we pulled out I started crying. I don't know why I got like that DF was so confused. Maybe just overwhelmed I guess. When we got home I was fine.
  • Options
    Definitely in the ready-to-leave camp! I hate the helpless feeling hospitals conjure up inside of me. Then again, I was never planning on being there in the first place.
    SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was ready to get out of there. I have a serious fear of hospitals and needles so I wanted to run far far away. However, my last night in the hospital I convinced my nurse that they needed to leave me alone so I could sleep. At this point, I had been I the hospital for over 48 hours and slept maybe 30 minutes. I got to sleep the whole night and all she would do would open the door and make sure I was still breathing. It was just what I needed before heading home with a newborn.
  • Options
    I was ready to leave 3 days before! DS was whisked into the NICU for arguably no reason at all and stayed there for over two days. All I wanted was to hold him and take him home instead of see him hooked up to monitors and not be able to leave the nursery with him.
  • Options
    I was sooo nervous to go home!  But I was more than ready, since I had an unexpected long stay before he was born!  I think next time around I will be ready to go home sooner than before, and hopefully not be so nervous about it!

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    I was so ready to go home. I was bored out of my mind there. They wouldn't let me leave the room while holding DS. If we went for a walk, he had to be in his rolly thing. I wanted to get home. Plus, poor DH slept on that horrible little convertible bed thing.
  • Options
    I think next time will definitely be different, albeit a couple years from now. We stayed a little longer in the hospital because E didn't have a wet diaper. Come to find out when I got home she wasn't nursing right. For that reason I liked being in the hospital where I could just call in a nurse or lactation consultant. The lack of sleep in a hospital was rough though! They also sent us home with a check list to record feedings, wet/dirty diapers, etc. that was the WORST. Never again, it just made me paranoid!

• Options
    I couldn't wait to get out of there. I was too overjoyed to be nervous. Although dog tired. I couldn't stop staring at him thinking this little life I brought into the world is just perfect. Then we'd hit a bump on the road and id yell "damn this ice pack on my punani is frickin paaaainful!"
    SMOOCHES FOR ALL!!!

• Options
    I was ready to leave but I stayed as long as my insurance allowed. The doctors gave me the option of leaving Thursday or Friday. I chose Friday, I had a Csection and a 4yo at home. I was told by friends to take the extra day. I felt a lot better that last day but I think it was one day too long for DD1. She had a hard time that last night. She was walking around the house showing the dog a picture of me and saying "this is mommy, do you remember her?" Mommy guilt right there.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options
    I never wanted to leave the hospital. My room was like a hotel room, the food was amazing. I was terrified to take J home.
  • Options
    This is a transcript from my brain on 8/27: So tired. What time is it? When do we have to feed again? Ow my nips! Ugh shoulda practiced that swaddle again with the nurse. Don't cry baby please I'll figure out the dang swaddle, someday. Ow my nips! Wet or dirty? Yay she sleeps. I'm gonna take a real shower! It stings, the pee stings! Still sleeping, is she breathing? So tired. What's for dinner? Grandmas cleaned everywhere, wow, but where the eff is all my stuff?! She's awake! Ow my nips! Why can't I sleep?! So tired. Set the alarm. What time is it?

And repeat for weeks.

• Options
    My hospital comped me a free night, so I kind of stayed longer than I had to. They do it for anyone with baby in the NICU. I delivered him on friday night, was discharged Sunday night, and we got to leave monday night (should have been morning, but they screwed up in getting his circ done, and then I had to wait til my doctor made night rounds.) We finally got to leave Monday at 7pm.

I wanted out of that damn hospital Saturday morning, and had I been able to take A with me Sunday I would have left then.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I birthed in a birthing center, so I got to leave 3 hours after ds was born. I was so ready to be home though. After spending 12 hours there with only 2 hours of sleep, I was ready to go home and snuggle with my baby and H. I wish I could have taken the LC with me though. She was so helpful. I probably called her like 3 times that first week home.

Also I'm glad my MW told to me take 3 days to ourselves without company. My milk came in on day 2, and ds pretty much nursed non stop.
  • Options
    @BPaws, your story sort of breaks my heart every time I read it. I don't know what I would have done if the NICU hadn't been in the same hospital. I just don't know. You are a strong lady.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was so ready to leave but I was really a mess. I was so heartbroken because we had 1, count them, 1 visitor, for all of 5 min and I felt so alone. I just wanted to go home and stop with the interruptions, the different nurses telling me I was breast feeding all wrong, even though I was following the advice of the one before them, and I wanted my own bed. When I got home I actually felt like a real person.

• Options
    MegispregMegispreg member
    edited July 2013
    I wanted to go home, but my AC broke the night I went into labor! In the middle of a heat wave. Ugh. We ended up going home, and we spent our first night with DD at home in our "guest house." It's really just a detached room with its own AC. That's how bad I wanted to leave!
  • Options
    I was ready to go home. I had been in the hospital since the Wednesday afternoon and was released Saturday morning and I was done.
    My dad flew in Thursday morning an I hadn't seen him in a year (yes he came to visit) and I just wanted to sit on a comfortable couch and have a tea with him. I'm a daddy's girl and I just wanted to spend time with him.
    I wasn't nervous, we had a lot of help at home.
    The sitz bath was a miracle, but I didn't use it right away, and I should have.

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
  • Options
    I was scared. I FF so I took advantage of the nursery so DH and I could sleep. DH left for his army summer training the morning after we came home so I was extra anxious. Thankful for family for pitching in while he was gone for 3 weeks.

• Options
    alakealake member
    My best friend's oldest is six weeks older then DD1.  She got stuck in the elevator while leaving the hospital with her daughter for 30 minutes.
  • Options
    We were so ready to leave. I had a relatively easy birth at 4:30 pm and wanted to leave the next morning, but they were concerned about DD's jaundice (we have blood type incompatibility between me being O- and her being A+) so we had to stay another night. That will likely be an issue for future kids too, so we are going to try to arrange in advance to have a solar blanket at home. Our pediatrician's office is also literally 3 blocks away, so it seemed silly to stay at the hospital so they could check her. Leaving the hospital, DH said that his coworker said it was the best day of her life going home from the hospital with her baby. That made us both cry.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    asales727 said:
    I was so ready to leave but I was really a mess. I was so heartbroken because we had 1, count them, 1 visitor, for all of 5 min and I felt so alone. I just wanted to go home and stop with the interruptions, the different nurses telling me I was breast feeding all wrong, even though I was following the advice of the one before them, and I wanted my own bed. When I got home I actually felt like a real person.

We had zero visitors, if it makes you feel any better. We knew that would be the case though, since all our family is really far away and we told them we didn't want them to fly in until we had a couple weeks to bond with the baby. That's our style, though - we are used to being on our own, so it would have been weird to have people there.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't really want to have a hospital birth experience, but compromised with DH because birthing centers in MI are few and far between. Well, we both LOVED our hospital and didn't want to leave! Our two day nurses and one night nurse were wonderful. All the education, help, and advice was great. Our families came twice, which was perfect. DH loved the food room, especially the pudding and Jell-O. Leaving was exciting, though. We had a 45 minute drive and I sat in back with DD, incredulous that she slept the whole time! She was grouchy upon being woken at home, but I fed her and then pulled out some Happiest Baby 5 S method and she calmed down. (Felt like a total rock star after that!) DH's dad and his girlfriend brought us dinner - I still remember that they brought chicken and spinach pita sandwiches that tasted amazing. My overall feeling the whole time was that life might be trying for a while, but that with DH by my side, we could tackle pretty much anything this kid threw at us. And we have!
  • Options
    rMe6411rMe6411 member
    edited August 2013
    I was so ready to go home but I cried the whole way home. I'm assuming from just being overwhelmed. And that night, I asked DH if we could go back so I could have a nurse on hand at all times. I also missed the meals delivered to me ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    rMe6411 said:
    I was so ready to go home but I cried the whole way home. I'm assuming from just being overwhelmed. And that night, I asked DH if we could go back so I could have a nurse on hand at all times. I also missed the meals delivered to me ;)

Yes! Loved it. I actually spent a lot of time the first week we were home calling our hospital nurses station for advice. They continued to be amazing, and it was like I had taken them home with me.
  • Options
    I was ready to go home. I had a great hospital experience and mainly because I work for the hospital system, no one really came in our room. I told the CNA and the RN that if I needed them, I'd call them and to please not come in otherwise and they totally understood. There was no medical necessity to take my vitals more than every 8 hours, so I asked the CNA to leave a machine in my room, I'd take my own vitals, and call her with the results. We were pretty much undisturbed our entire stay...minus the 18 visitors I had told could come up...what a mistake that was!

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options

I was very emotional when I left the hospital. I really didn't know why I was crying. I was so happy to be going home and to have this wonderful little one to take home. I think I was also kind of scared to be going home and not having the safety of the hospital and nurses if anything went wrong. I was such a bundle of emotions that first week it was ridiculous! Seems silly now that I look back on it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was nervous because I was going home with 2 kids and Dh was leaving for work that night because he had no time off available.  I was gonna be home alone with 2 kids.  That scared me.  But we survived.  :) #:-S

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

• Options
    I was thinking I wanted to hurry up and get home to my hemoroid cream and lie on my side before my vagina fell out. I was nervous about everything, we were alone for 2 weeks before my mom could come and help us, I was wanting my mom a lot.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"