Natural Birth

Newbie looking for midwife/doula

Hello ladies,
My husband and I are considering trying to get pregnant for the first time and wondering how to find midwife/doula or something similar.  I've heard a lot of mostly good things about water birth and would like to try it.  Although I do like the thought of being in a center where emergency services may be available.  I've read some places that first time mothers are not encouraged to go with water birth for their first child.  I'm wondering if there are any of you who have had your first in the water. any input would be welcomed. thanks.

Re: Newbie looking for midwife/doula

• I searched for doulas in my area online.  Many of them have websites which is really helpful.  You can also search DONA to see who is in your area.  As for a MW ask around to see who is recommended in your area. You could also contract a birth instructor (Bradley, Hypno) and see who they recommend.  The instructors are very helpful and knowledgeable about natural birth in your area.  They may be able to recommend local doulas as well.
    As for the water birth I have never heard that a FTM is discouraged from having a water birth.  I know that many hospitals are not equipped to do water deliveries so they do not allow them.  My hospital did not allow water births.  They did allow me to labor in the tub and start to push in the tub but I had to transition to the bed for delivery.  IMO it was actually better for me to deliver on the bed.  My LO had a nuchal hand so my OB was massaging and stretching me prevent a more serious tear. If you want a water birth you may need to consider a birth center or look for a hospital that does allow them.  GL!

https://www.dona.org/mothers/find_a_doula.php
  • I am a FTM planning a water birth and was told by my midwife "sometimes it's harder for a FTM to deliver without the added gravity but any midwife worth your time knows you can't know how a woman's body will react until labor is under way and they will at least let you try." As far as finding a midwife the internet is your friend. then just be sure to be thorough with your interviews and go with your gut. Chemistry is important.

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"