Parenting after 35

Poll

What is the oldest age would you feel comfortable having a baby?

I just had my first last year when I was 39. I think I would consider having a second when I'm 42. Hopefully, our finances will allow that possibility (fingers crossed).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Poll

• We're one and done, but if we were still trying for #1, I would have cut it off at delivering at age 40, primarily because DH is 5 years older than I am, and he didn't want to worry about having to work past 67 if we still had a kid in college. 

• steverstever member
    I always thought 40, but I turn 40 later this year and would have been more than okay with having another kiddo if it weren't for my health. It's all perspective I guess. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Given my health issues, my cut-off age would be 42. But if I got pregnant at 42 and everything was okay, then of course I wouldn't feel bad giving birth at 43, but that's the absolute latest.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mwdmwd member
    I had #2 at 41, 9 months, and I swore I was done.  As much as I would love another one, I know 2 kids is my limit.  Had I started about 10 years earlier, maybe more.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sometimes I think I know more women who had a child at 42 than had one at 40.

We're done for other reasons, but it's an age I would be comfortable with.

• We are done after this one.  But if we were trying for another I would say 40.

I had DS1 when I was 34.  Just missed my 35th birthday by 4 weeks.
    DS2 is due 10/21 and I will be 37 (by a matter of days to a couple weeks).

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I has always thought 42 but then I had a baby at 41 and we have a frozen embryo we'd like to use and I didn't want to have three under three so I'd like to push off doing the frozen embryo transfer until the baby is about 18 months old which would make me 43 at delivery.  The embryo is from when I am 36 so not as many age related issues there, but my body ached a lot being pregnant at 41 so it scares me to think what it would be like at 43.  Oh, and being 60 with a 17 year-old scares me even more!

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• KL777KL777 member
    If I actually wanted another child, I would say 37. I had DS at 34 and am 39 now.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I'm 44 and expecting my 3rd child in August.  To me it's no big deal, perhaps because i have no health issues.  We were surprised that we conceived in the first place, but this baby is a blessing already. 

:-)

Anniversary
  • I just had my first (and only) at 43.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

• For me I was one and done at 42. But everyone ages differently. I am in better shape and health now than I was in my 30s. I think I could have one more if I didn't get a tubal.

• GHBEAGHBEA member

I was 43 when my last was born.  I was comfortable enough after just having a baby and my OB said there should be no reasons I couldn't have more.

So I will say 43. 

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Had my first at 36 and would like to have my 2nd at 39.  I think 40 is my cut off. 
  • I just had my first at 35. I would like to have a second before 40. The bigger thing to consider is that my husband is 42, and he doesn't want to wait too long. Ideally I'd like to have our second at 38, when LO is 3-years-old, just because I like a 3 year age gap.
  • I just turned 37 and found out I'm pregnant with number 3. I never thought I would have a baby at this age because my hubby and I got married at 20! However, I feel so young and God wanted us to have another! : so I say the cut off time is when the good Lord says so!!
  • I had #1 at 37 and I'm going to be 39 at the end of the month.  We're trying to decide on #2, but I really look at 40 as my cut off (we'd better figure it out soon). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't really say, because we are DONE! It wouldn't bother me in the slightest mid to late 40s.
  • Personally it would have been 36 or 37 if I had to choose - my "surprise" ended up being 3 weeks shy of 39 - but I have some chronic healthy issues and my other pregnancies where high risk.  If I had healthy pregnancies it would most likely have been different.
    imageimage
  • I had my first at 37 and hope to get pregnant again as soon as I'm done nursing. I'm not sure if there is a specific age that I would stop trying.
  • My age cutoff used to be 42 but I just turned 43 and a second child is still a possibility. We haven't used birth control since DS was born in '09 but we haven't really TTC seriously until this past year. I'm not pregnant yet so either it will happen or Mother Nature will decide that we are one and done. Last summer my FSH was about 9 and estrogen was normal for CD3 but a little on the low side. We probably won't do IVF, it doesn't make sense for us to fork out that much money for something that has a 10% chance of working at my age. And we don't want donor eggs. Since I'm not that fertile (took us one year to conceive DS when I was 38), I'm thinking this is it. The upside is I don't have to worry about birth control anymore! Que sera, sera :)
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"