September 2012 Moms
Options

Ultimatum at work

Is there a way to give a boss what is basically an ultimatum without it feeling like one?  

I personally have never seen it done but that doesn't mean much considering my professional career is only 5 years old, but is it possible?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

Re: Ultimatum at work

• Options
    Yep, when I gave my boss an ultimatum I used lots of feeling words, it worked and I got what I needed. The boss was a woman that may have played into me getting what I needed as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    miss50miss50 member
    @mssm2012 congrats! :-$

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Issue an ultimatum at work? You might as well throw a tantrum. If you don't like your job, look for a new one ffs.
  • Options
    Betty&Co said:

Issue an ultimatum at work? You might as well throw a tantrum. If you don't like your job, look for a new one ffs.

Pretty sure the FFS wasn't necessary. You can like your job but not your boss or policies. There were people who were able to say what she needed to know without the snark and FFS.

• Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess I should have been more clear.  The "ultimatum" or basically what I am wanting to convey to my boss but in a more positive way is that I need him to follow through on the things we have talked about in recent months.  I have done what he asked of me and more, but I haven't seen anything that he said would happen come to fruition, i.e. - raise and promotion.

So, basically I want to talk with him and in a positive manner let him know that I need to see those things happen, or I will need to be looking for another job.  I am already looking for one, but he doesn't know that.

I love my job and I like my company.  My boss isn't so bad, except for his lack of follow through and the fact that he doesn't understand working moms.  I would love to stay here because I believe in what we do and how we do it, but my family needs me to make more money and I want to feel like I have a career vs. a job.

• Options
    What's the ultimatum then? "follow through or....." ?
    Yeah, I guess it really isn't an ultimatum huh....  I guess is there a polite way to say, I need you to follow through, because if you don't I am pursuing other opportunities without hanging myself if I can't find something?

• Options
    Thanks ladies!  You have been incredibly helpful!  

• Options
    mssm2012 said:
    What is the ultimatum? More money or you'll quit? I think there's always another way to express it, but if you are making an ultimatum then you need to be willing to follow through.

This. I wouldn't issue an ultimatum. But if you do, you have to follow through on the "threat."

• Options
    Where I work, if anybody tried to issue an ultimatum regarding pay they would be shown the door.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"